• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Pete Postlethwaite always seemed to be in films that held no interest to me so I've not seen much of his output. But I'll always remember him from seeing him in The Usual Suspects.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    Pete Postlethwaite, a genuine character actor who appeared in many of my favourite movies, especially those by Spielberg, has died at a far too young 64. I didn't even know he was ill. sad

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115878714

I've just read this, so sad to hear this. I didn't know he was sick at all. Rest in peace my good man shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    So sad news... sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. This won't mean much to many people but the singer Gerry Rafferty died today. His album "Night Owl" was a staple of my childhood.

R.I.P. You definitely got it right this time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This won't mean much to many people but the singer Gerry Rafferty died today. His album "Night Owl" was a staple of my childhood.

R.I.P. You definitely got it right this time.

That's very sad, I'd heard that he'd been ill for some time with liver problems.

Besides his massive hit Baker Street people here will also know him from the the track he co-wrote called Stuck In The Middle With You which was so memorably used in Reservior Dogs.

Sad to hear of his passing sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love "Baker Street", especially the LSO version from the 80's. Sorry to hear the news about his passing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baker Street is a fabulous song about a very dull street. RIP.
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    RIP Composer John Barry, he passed away this morning of a heart attack. he will be missed! Long live 007, the true james bond!
  4. Sad news indeed. RIP
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh my word. sad
    I knew he was ill, but wasn't aware it was that bad.
    Very sad. A true giant of film music has passed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Damn.

>>>------------------<>

One burning arrow for you, John.

You enriched so many lives with your music.

I remember very fondly spinning the first five minutes of my Black Hole Read Along LP again and again, just to listen to your fantastic overture in the background while some annoying person talked about space and the Palomino´s mission. My mother thought I was going nuts, saying, "Are you ever going to listen to the rest of the story?"

Your music was the heart and soul of John Dunbar´s journey into the west, you helped Robert Redford and Meryl Streep fall in love, you gave us a kick in the butt with your Bond scores.

But I guess what influenced me most in later years was "The Last Valley". It gave so many stories that were stirring in my head a certain mood, a certain style, and made me cherish the creativity behind it.

You will be missed.
  6. You've got to be shitting me!!! shocked sad

Somehow I always think a legend like John Barry will live endlessly, but no... at least his music will.

And to think I recently witnessed his music performed live so fantastically to the point of being very moved by it all, it makes this news double shocking.

RIP John. At least you deserved your place in heaven.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    RIP John. A GIANT has left us. But his gift to us all, his music, lives on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Does anyone have a recording of the video snippet he made to the Ghent audience last year? It seems to me that that was his last public appearance, albeit not in person.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited
    Oh no. sad I'm actually crying.

Barry's music has touched me more than almost any other so it's a hard loss, even if he was mostly retired.

Peter sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    A black day for film music lovers everywhere !
    Another icon is lost to us ...
    Very sad news indeed ... sad

They showed a clip on the news just now when he was honored for his work in the U.K.
    about 10 years ago . He gave a very emotional thank you speech then . They also mentioned
    the concert and award in Ghent .

Gonna watch the Ghent concert again later tonight in honor of Mr. Barry ...

R.I.P. Mr. Barry and thank you for 50 years of wonderful scores ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I hope the academy will take a few minutes to honor him
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    sdtom wrote
    I hope the academy will take a few minutes to honor him

Indeed. For instance it would be nice if they played one of his pieces during the segment where all the dead celebrities are remembered.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You do know that only his picture will be shown (for a brief few seconds) as part of the In Memoriam segment of the program.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Very sad news. slant sad

A legend of music if there ever was one. He will live on in his music though, which truly is timeless. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Barry's so much beyond the Oscars and their tributes. Don't you worry so much about this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Barry's so much beyond the Oscars and their tributes. Don't you worry so much about this.

But if the viewing figures are so great for this ceremony, his memory can be highlighted to a lot of people.
  8. "People" don´t care about film composers, that´s fact.

But it´s only fair. I guess when the world´s best plumber dies, only his collegues will honour him, and no one else will know his name. Same with good doctors, architects, and car designers.

We are John´s people. And we will remember him. That´s all that counts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    Gary Moore died suddenly today. I guess he will be playing the guitar with the angels now...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He was a fantastic guitarist, sad to hear that. I loved Thin Lizzy back in the day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very sad to hear. He was young.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    Very sad news ... sad
    RIP Gary ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  9. Saddened to hear of the death of Nicholas Courtney, an actor I recall with affection from my childhood as The Brigadier from Doctor Who. He reprieved this role recently in (I think) The Sarah Jane Adventures, and it was a great reminder of the "Golden Age" of the Doctor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Ohhhh....sad

Fittingly just last night I was listening to one of Big Finish' Doctor Who newly recorded audio adventures, and this one guest-starred Courtney (as the brigadier, of course). He sounded quite chipper and dapper, belying his age.
    A true icon in the Whoniverse.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Here's a link to a few words on Nicholas Courtney:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/02/23/nicholas-courtney-rip/