• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Sad to hear this, very much a part of my childhood and I always liked seeing him turn up in Dr Who.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Sad to hear this, very much a part of my childhood and I always liked seeing him turn up in Dr Who.

Agreed.

A nice tribute from Tom Baker.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011 edited
    Probably unknown to most of the good people here, Jane Russell died yesterday at age 89.
    Jane was less known for her acting talent than for her outstanding curves, which made her a Dream Girl easily rivalling Marilyn Monroe in the fifties.

However, she sunk into limbo following her voluntary retirement from Hollywood in the sixties.
    Her best known, though hardly best feature was the Howard Hughes (yes, that Howard Hughes) directed The Outlaw in 1943.
    Due to Hughes fixation on Jane's breasts (and who can blame him!), most of the shots she was in, and indeed the film poster proper, focused pretty exclusively on those assets. In fact, in the deranged and compulsive manner Hughes at that time was already known for, he even designed a specific aerodynamic bra for the 19 year old Jane, insisting her breasts could only be properly filmed that way (she never wore it as it was immensely uncomfortable, but never had the heart to tell Hughes. To his dying day he thought she wore it, whilst she actually just used her trusted old bra, stuffed with kleenex to make it less 'jiggly').

It's probably no surprise that the film was held up for two years in several censorship suits, and became known in post-War, newly puritan America as 'that Sex Western'.

Jane never was classified as a 'classic' Hollywood beauty. Her looks were, according to some, too hard.
    I agree that her features were strong and -at times- even quite stern
    But I always rather liked that.

Thanks for the memories, Jane!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Ah yes, a lot of Aviator resolves around him wanting to make The Outlaw. DIdn't make the connection!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011
    Farewell Jane, and thanks for the mammaries.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm thoroughly annoyed I didn't think of that myself. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A bit obvious but yeah, you did miss a trick on your last sentence smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't think I've seen any of her films, but I knew about her, of course - especially as Monroe's friend and a 50's sex icon.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Farewell Jane, and thanks for the mammaries.

Back to school, you! shocked

Or is that a word? dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011
    Miss some lessons did you?
  4. I missed being educated in England, apparently.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Alfred Died sad

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni8670399/

I only knew him from the Batman movies, but his appearances there were always lovely. Rest in Peace
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Same here bro, his Alfred character was one of the reasons I loved the movies, he brought charm and warmth to that role.

RIP Mr Gough. sad

And I don't believe I've seen him act anywhere else.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Same here bro, his Alfred character was one of the reasons I loved the movies, he brought charm and warmth to that role.

RIP Mr Gough. sad

And I don't believe I've seen him act anywhere else.

couldn't have said it any better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    Very sad but he did have a long life.

He's been in loads of stuff that I've seen including early Doctor Who.
  8. I can only remember him as Alfred! But as Tim says, he has been in loads of things over the years. Not a big star but a shining example of an actor who underpins the acting profession.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011
    Elizabeth Taylor has died, at "only" 79.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/03/ … p;iref=BN1

First my own grandfather, now this.

She was certainly one of the titans in the industry.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just saw this on the BBC site, screen legends really don't come much bigger than Liz Taylor.
  9. This reminds me, I've never seen her perform in any film. She was from before my time.

Rest in peace Elizabeth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Just saw this on the BBC site, screen legends really don't come much bigger than Liz Taylor.

Very very sad. sad
    And so young. Well, relatively anyway. With Fay Wray only a few years gone, Liz should have been good for another decade or so. She always did seem so full of fire, even in advancing years. I thought she'd never die.

And she truly was one of the most beautiful women in the world[/url].

DreamTheater wrote
    This reminds me, I've never seen her perform in any film.

Very very sad. sad
    For completely different reasons.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    This reminds me, I've never seen her perform in any film. She was from before my time.

Rest in peace Elizabeth.

you obviously forgot her role in The Flintstones

Anyway, a leading lady has surely left this world. Rest in peace
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I thought about her turn in THE FLINTSTONES first as well...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...i'm speechless
  11. The image I will always remember of Elizabeth Taylor is from the wonderful cover of Varese's release of Alex North's Cleopatra:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/imag … _224_2.jpg

One of many images from that film that highlights her beauty.
  12. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    This reminds me, I've never seen her perform in any film. She was from before my time.

Rest in peace Elizabeth.

you obviously forgot her role in The Flintstones

Anyway, a leading lady has surely left this world. Rest in peace

Just checked it on IMDB. So I saw her in one not so legendary role then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited
    To me, the first thing that springs to mind - beyond the whole diva/celebrity thing - is WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINA WOOLF, brilliant role and tense dynamic with real-life partner Richard Burton.

Embarassingly, I've never seen CLEOPATRA (only bits and pieces of it).
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Cleopatra is more style over substance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never seen Cleopatra either.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Cleopatra is more style over substance.

Did you know 'Carry On Cleo' used some of the sets? It's probably why that film looks a little more lavish than most of them.
  14. I vaguely remember that little fact.

Unfortunately my recollections of Liz Taylor in Cleopatra are now tainted by Amanda Barrie. sad