• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Apparently she had recorded some new songs but her label did not like them. I wonder how long it will be before they cash in on her memory?

The vultures are circling already.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited
    The name of David Croft may not mean much to many but had a hand in bringing to TV some of the greatest TV comedies ever seen. My childhood was brightened by many of them: Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-Di-Hi and 'Allo 'Allo.

Whether he went "off the boil" later or I just moved on in terms of my comedy I am not sure (though seeing any of these as repeats still makes me laugh).

Thanks for all the laughs, David Croft, who has died at the age of 89.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    Which role did he play in ALLO! ALLO!`?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He was the writer Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote

Sorry, I couldn't have made it too clear. As Tim mentioned, he was a prolific comedy writer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. So he was the one responsible for the cop speaking the funny language called frenglish?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Sorry, I couldn't have made it too clear. As Tim mentioned, he was a prolific comedy writer.

Ah, the writer!

I loved that show, and I'm sure much of the comedy stems from his pen.

Sorry to hear that he passed away.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    So he was the one responsible for the cop speaking the funny language called frenglish?

No, that would be Peter Sellers.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    So he was the one responsible for the cop speaking the funny language called frenglish?

Yes.

Ah, Officer Crabtree. Who can forget that wonderful line:

"I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty."

And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrAp5gzdqc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited
    I don't even have to watch that clip. I just imagine his mug twisting and turning to deliver those words. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yes.

Ah, Officer Crabtree. Who can forget that wonderful line:

"I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty."

And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrAp5gzdqc

biggrin

they don't make it like this anymore biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    Composer and conductor David Bedford passed away on October 2nd.

http://www.impulse-music.co.uk/davidbedford/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Damn! sad

As some people here will know, I am quite a fan of the mans work, I'm really saddened to hear this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He did a lot of orchestral rock arrangements, but that's about as much as I know, I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear him go.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For a~ha too. Any ideas which work of there's he worked on Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    For a~ha too. Any ideas which work of there's he worked on Thor?

Hmm...no, I don't.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think there's some of his work you would like Thor, particularly 12 Hours of Sunset, he also did work on Mike Oldfield's Incantations and Hergest Ridge.

He has also worked in film and TV though to a much lesser extent, notably THE KILLING FIELDS and choral direction on Morricone's THE MISSION plus TV scores for Hammer House of Horror.
  5. Steve Jobs, dead.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. No wonder he resigned. May God rest his soul.
  7. He's in iHeaven now.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Certainly in the iCloud. wink
    This actually has saddened me quite a bit. More than the usual entertainment personality death. Partly because in a world where it seems corporations are starting to become more important that governments, Steve Jobs seemed to have a knack for delivering the voting-with-wallet public what it wanted. I sometimes wonder if the present governmental financial catastrophes around the world would be nearly as troubling if individuals of the calibre of the late Steve Jobs were responsible for the solutions.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. justin boggan wrote
    Steve Jobs, dead.

Pardon!

That's a bit of a shocker. Although he has been ill for a while his death highlights again how quickly cancer can pull you down.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Merciless cancer, damned. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With pancreatic cancer I'm amazed he lasted another five years (taken his liver transplant in 2009 as well).
    With everyone's bitching at times (including mine) there is no way around it that he was a TRUE innovator with a vision that was -aforementioned bitching notwithstanding- espoused by the world.
    A role model for entrepreneurs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011 edited
    Yes, he was. I read the news about his death on an iPhone.

Quite a story of life he has!
    Kazoo
  10. I wonder how many souls on this planet have learned about his death on the products he created.
  11. Products he created or products that were created by competitor products that would not be around because of his insight? Everyone!

I think that it was Jobs who was the driver of the innovation in Apple. I was told once that the Apple company is not a good model for how a company should do true innovation. It was an individual who was innovative and then the company was focused to deliver on a single man's innovative vision.

I am not sure how Apple will retain that "Innovation" label now that Jobs is gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Alan, I think you hit the nail on the head.
    It should be interesting to see (from a business kind of view) where Apple goes now. Many analogies with 1996 when Apple was about dead after the Windows juggernaut really took off. It was Steve who pretty much single-handedly turned a wilting company around.

My fear obviously is that Apple will continue more and more on a monolithic path, just expanding on the products they already have. If so, they'll become another Microsoft....but far, far more proprietary...which would be damning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Certainly one of the greatest personalities of our era. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.