• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just the other day I was telling one of my more exceedingly older friends, when whinning about being too tired and too old, that there was an Indian guy a few weeks ago who was 100 years old and ran 26 miles, and that there was a 95 year old film composer flying around the world conducting music, if they can do it, surely you can.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011
    Very sad to hear of the passing of director KEN RUSSELL sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Russell
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011
    I've only seen TOMMY, but long wanted to check out other things, like ALTERED STATES and the composer films.

Sorry to hear that he's gone. He was a true eccentric -- both in person and on film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited
    He also did the rarely mentioned but cult horror film THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, stars a young Hugh Grant too. ( not that that is a selling point for me, far from it )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    It won't mean much to many people, including myself, but M*A*S*H*'s "Colonel Potter", Harry Morgan, has just died.

Not being a fan of the series (but inevitably having seen many episodes. It *is* TV history.), I might have blipped over this, if I hadnt just yesterday recognised him -a lot younger- in the excellent 1960 Stanley Kramer film Inherit The Wind, as the judge presiding over the famous Monkey Trial: a trial at the beginning of the century in the south of the USA where it was made illegal to teach Darwin's theory.

The wonderful Spencer Tracy stars as famous defense attorney Henry Drummond, defending the hapless teacher against the onslaught of the bible thumping prosecution (played fiercely though slightly over the top by Fredric March).

Very, VERY good film, with some truly excellent points to make about freedom of expression, freedom of thought and tolerance.

Anyway, that film made the announcement of Morgan's death a little bit more poignant to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Harry Morgan was one of those actors who turned up quite frequently on the TV when I was young. He seemed to be one of those reliable actors who never made it to stardom, but they were recognised. I suppose his role in M*A*S*H was what brought him to my attention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. At least he had an active career, spanning several decades, and lived to 96.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. I knew he had to be ancient. The guy was old when he was on MASH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
  5. Seems to be quite a well-known guy. I wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a crowd.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Damn! slant sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've vaguely heard the name before, but I think he's mostly famous in the UK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Seems to be quite a well-known guy. I wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a crowd.

He was an advocate of reason, and communicated it both eloqountly and damningly unlike few others. He was a truly great mind, and one of my heroes.

His voice will be missed, but many of his words will undoubtedly live on. It's imperirative that they do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just to put it into perspective, Hitchens' death is as significant to me as if John Williams' death was announced (although this comes as far less of a surprise since he had been battling cancer for many months prior).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011 edited
    Just heard the news. Very sad. I didn't use to like him much but I had warmed up to him alot recently. An excellent debater with some unique viewpoints. He's irreplaceable.

Thor wrote

I think he's just as famous in the US. He devoted much of his life debating in the US and has sold tons of books there.

Peter sad
  6. Steven wrote
    Just to put it into perspective, Hitchens' death is as significant to me as if John Williams' death was announced (although this comes as far less of a surprise since he had been battling cancer for many months prior).

The comments I am reading from various quarters of the internet do suggest that he was certainly influential to a lot of people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do a quick google search and watch just about any video with Hitchens, and you'll soon see why! (Although to get a better idea it's ideal to either read one of his books or watch a full debate, something which not all will have the time or inclination to do.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

I think so because I've not heard of him
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As Peter has already said, he was (and is) just as famous in the US as he is in the UK. Though he was an intellectual, so perhaps not as famous as your regular celebrity.
  7. Steven wrote
    As Peter has already said, he was (and is) just as famous in the US as he is in the UK. Though he was an intellectual, so perhaps not as famous as your regular celebrity.

And it is this which makes me believe that he was a particularly well-respected person. It is usually just "regular celebrities" that get such tributes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn, I wasn't aware he was battling cancer.
    How is it that such voices that need to be heard are cut short in their prime, while maniacal geriatric patients representing world religions just seem to go on and on and on?

(Maybe there is a God? And he's not very keen on criticism?)

I did enjoy reading Hitchens' work.
    Astute and to the point (if a bit of a crusader. But then I like that in a man.).
    Very sorry to read about his demise.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Am I the only one whose exposure to Hitchins has been greatest today?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hitchens will be well known to people with a keen interest or investment in religion and various other political interests, but I doubt he's particularly well known outside of such circles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah

What he said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited
    I liked Hitchens. Great debater and some interesting view on religion. Who doesn't like see a hitchlap on a religious nut! But I was never a fan of his view on some of the stuff he wrote on the war against Iraq. His ideas on islam, which he touched upon in God is Not Great, was often laughable to me.

An article that takes an other view after his death, written by Glenn Greenwald:
    http://www.salon.com/2011/12/17/christo … singleton/

It shows an other side of his, one I never liked in the few articles I read or videos I saw. He obviously had some wicked ideas too. Just posting this because I'm a bit weary of the all the praise he gets without any critical note...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    His ideas on islam, which he touched upon in God is Not Great, was often laughable to me.

I'm a bit weary of the all the praise he gets without any critical note...

Can you elaborate on either?

(This isn't me jumping to the defense of Hitchens as it's been quite a while since I've read that book, I'm just genuinely curious!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    So long, cockbag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    So long, cockbag.

Wow, really?

Can't say I'm too saddened.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    So long, cockbag.

Haha there's a special rotten place in hot hell for pricks like this. Rot in hell, small dick.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.