• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    As logic is bound to strict rules, it's really not a matter of opinion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i am sure that a 72-virgins teeerrrrrrrrrst hunter will disagree strongly with yours, Steven's or my logic whatsoever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure.
    He could also disagree with gravity if he pleases.
    But that bullit he shot in the air during teh festivities will still come down and kill a partying villager.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think you've mistaken them with the island of Crete biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The island of Crete will come down and kill partying villagers? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it will fire shotguns in the air for no apparent reason wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's one dangerous island that I would hate to encounter in a dark alley! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well it's ok if you think that your loved ones will turn into stones once they leave this word and i have nothing against free belief of anything by everyone, but i truly think that most people like to feel the comfort of consciousness that the departed's presence lies somewhere else besides being converted into mineral and chemical compositions.

Yep, and I more than understand that feeling. I wish I could believe it myself to a degree, but there's nothing to suggest it's the case - although I don't 100% rule the possibility out. We live on an extremely rare planet, one of if not the most spectacular place in the universe. Why not be grateful for that fact and do away with vain and presumptuous desires for a second life? Mineral and 'chemical compositions' are no less magical, and indeed more so, than any religious story.

As for the sense of logic , i am sure you know it can vary largely among people, no matter how hard and firm you believe your own is the only one smile

I can only echo Martijn's words. Logic is not a really an opinion or even an individual's perspective, it's systematic and perhaps mathematical. Try arguing that 1 plus 1 doesn't equal 2 and then see how far you get. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes but 1+1=2 is proven, established and applied science. The logic on things that haven't been proven or have no way of 100% sure scientific proof, CAN be argued. Such as what happens once you die. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    That's quite true, but just because it can't be proven doesn't mean it can hold up to scientific reasoning. There's such a thing as certainty, based on observation, and the 'life after death' idea does not lie directly in the middle of being true or false. You cannot argue such a superstition with much certainty at all, so to argue it using logic would be moot.

All I can say is continue to believe what you believe, I'll continue to wait for the facts (if they are found).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of course, no worries kind Sir. We're just debating as two sane, civilized, non-virgin lover*, individuals! smile

* shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The only afterlife I'm 100% certain about is the memories we have of the deceased. You may think that my non-belief is a cold heartless approach to life, but I couldn't disagree more. I believe a 'soul' of the deceased live on in surviving relatives and friends, and so and on and so on. Souls are a very real thing to us animals, but that doesn't mean it has to be supernatural. Nature is super enough as it is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'xcept for nasty Spiders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spiders are the most awesome thing ever! biggrin

Long live Shelob! Long live Shelob!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    'xcept for nasty Spiders.

And, to get back to the actual topic at hand, I have no hesitation at all to wish them a hearty R.I.P. (Rest In Pieces)
  1. I once heard a friend of mine - quite the atheist - remark that he didn't believe there was anything for consciousness beyond death, but I appreciated that he gave an embarrassed laugh and added, 'Mind you, you only get to test that theory once, and I'm all for delaying the experiment', to general hilarity. I admire people who have enough confidence in their beliefs to joke about them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's easy to joke about your beliefs when they aren't beliefs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Do I sense a logical fallacy? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps? I'm only really speaking for myself, but I imagine many would share the same sentiments.

My point is a "atheism" isn't simply a different version of belief systems like Islam is to Christianity. It's an entirely different approach, it's the dismissal of belief. Perhaps a common mistake made by theists is they compare atheism to religion in such a way that presumes atheism and religion are on the same playing field. I read somewhere that calling atheism a 'religion' is like calling bald a type of hair colour. biggrin

I don't hold any particular beliefs about the origins of the universe or life after death like all religions do, but I do disregard certain beliefs. Which means I am free to joke about whatever the hell I want. cool

Agree disagree, Martijn? <curious>
  2. Steven wrote
    It's easy to joke about your beliefs when they aren't beliefs.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure that would apply to either my friend, or to me, since we both have a strong sense of humour about the things we believe to be true.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Agree disagree, Martijn? <curious>

With the added note that in general atheists are regarded as "believers of another kind" by theists or religious people due to an overly vocal and zealotous minority that defends atheism in much the same monomanic and emotional way the Spanish Inquisition defended the faith. No matter who is right, that's not a particularly conductive way to engage in reasoned debate.

That however does not in any way detract from your points, Steven, and in my post above I was just being my own smart-ass self again (you cannot defend something as being something you have just stated it is not: if the item defended is not a belief, then -logically- you have not defended a belief (but something else)).
    Formal logic, and a fantastic way to antagonize people and be left standing alone mumbling in your drink at parties
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Funniest image of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Don't be too sure about anything! Life isn't logical at all you know, it makes absolutely no sense.
    People who think they know what life is, and death, are not the smartest people imo.
    Science is limited. It's useful and entertaining though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Science is limited.

Any good scientist would happily grant the point (or at least that our current UNDERSTANDING is limited).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would add that scientific knowledge as it is today is limiting, not science itself. So, pretty much what Martijn said now that I read his reply. shame

Bregje wrote:
    People who think they know what life is, and death, are not the smartest people.

Couldn't agree more. Which is why true scientists don't pretend to know what life or death is. They just observe the workings and form deductions thereon.

Bregje wrote
    Life isn't logical at all you know, it makes absolutely no sense.

Again, you're absolutely right (if we're simply talking about the existence of life, not the system of life). But then that's not what I'd ever argue against - although we've learned much about the workings of nature, and much more sense is made today than has ever been achieved, so we are on the right path at least.

Science does at least try to make sense of life to the best of human ability. Science uncovers more questions with almost each new discovery, and that is an exceptional thing. I've said this time and time again (though probably worded differently each time): Science asks the appropriate questions based on the appropriate observations; religions gives inappropriate answers on inappropriate observations.

I love how some counter-arguments just emphasise the other person's point even further. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I would appreciate it if this post-mortem tribute thread wasn't turned into yet another religious debate (I thought you guys had the California thread thingie for that?). Thank you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough. It starts with one comment which I just can't leave alone and snowballs from thereon... some statements just need to be picked apart. I apologise. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No sweat. It's just that one of my BIG musical heroes just passed away, and I was hoping to see some more tributes to him here (from the people who have any relationship to Pink Floyd's music, at least).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    PAUL NEWMAN dies of cancer aged 83.

He starred in two of my all time fave films, Cool Hand Luke and The Sting.

The loss of a true acting legend sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt