• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    sad Two of my favourite war movies. I specifically have a soft spot for the excellent and irreverent Kelly's Heroes.
    A most capable and taut director.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited
    Awwww. Actor Richard "Jaws" Kiel has passed away. sad
    To be honest, I have not seen all that much from him, but -as I would think like everyone else in the world- I thought his work in the James Bond films was absolutely iconic. As Moonraker was the very first James Bond film I have ever seen in my life, his impression was all the more strong.

74 is quite young, although it is a sad fact that the condition of acromegaly generally leads to relatively short life spans.

For some reason I always thought he was British!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    I've never particularly cared for James Bond or any of the characters therein, but sad news. My best memory of Kiel is actually from the wonderful and underrated Clint Eastwood western PALE RIDER from the mid 80s.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Awwww! indeed.

Alongside Oddjob he is the most iconic Bond baddie. I saw him about 10 years years ago at a memorabilia show in Birmingham, his hands and head were huge, though I didn't see him stand, he was getting around in a motorised wheelchair.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. So... he played Jaws? I thought it was an animatronic shark... confused
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  2. No, no, that shark was played by Bruce.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Actress Elizabeth Pena has passed away sad

I've seen several films of her, but way too early for any person to pass away. Don't know how many people know of have seen her act. I always remembered her from Rush Hour and remember her from her voice acting as Mirage on The Incredibles
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    Very sad. I remember her in *batteries not included back in the late eighties.
  4. Atham wrote
    Very sad. I remember her in *batteries not included back in the late eighties.

indeed, I forgot that film. I like that film. Sad really
  5. I don't remember her at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014 edited
    I'm saddened to hear of the passing of trad jazz legend Aker Bilk.

Best known for this beautiful melody with which he became the first British artist to have a # 1 record in the USA...

STRANGER ON THE SHORE

Though my personal favourite is this one...

ARIA

Pure magic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Glen A. Larson has passed away at age 77.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0488991/reference

The 1970's/1980's would have been pretty lonely TV if not for him.

To quote a line from one of his shows, "Knight Rider":

One man can make a difference.

And boy did he.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
    He brought a lot of fun to our screens for sure.
    RIP Mr. Larson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely! I think my favourite is Alias Smith & Jones.
  7. Glen A. Larson was one of the heroes of my childhood for he is the inventor of Battlestar Galactica, a franchise that has always been as dear to me as is STAR WARS. So he did not live to see the cinematic resurrection of his brainchild. (The latest attempt seems to be in development hell, now without Bryan Singer being attached. With Larson now gone I doubt anything will come of it, especially with STAR WARS and STAR TREK dominating the scene.)
    He had a hard time to come to terms with Moore's interpretation of the concept but eventually made his peace with it, acting as consulting producer on several episodes and specials.
    As it seems he also had some musical talent that he would join with Stu Phillips to create memorable main themes. (In contrast to Gene Roddenberry who did not contribute to the STAR TREK main theme, as far as I know.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xB8_cSkCpYM/U … 2B7676.jpg
    The Lords of Cobol may bless him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    All of that and more. An icon of my youth.
  8. How sad.

Yes, I remember the classic BSG very fondly, too. We had only the three movie cuts for a long time, and the first two had been great enough to make me a live-long fan. I never cared much for the series itself, I´m afraid. Maybe it´s time to give it another chance.

It´ll be a "NP: Battlestar Galactica - Stu Phillips" day for me.
  9. Stu Phillips made a post at FSM with his condulances. He's been an off/on member there for years, as have some other composers.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014
    Awful news that Australian cricketer Phil Hughes has died after being hit by the ball on his head in a match a couple of days ago. Only 25 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30219440
  10. That is terrible news indeed.

Looks like there needs to be a rethink on helmet design. At the moment there seems little protection for someone whose reflex response to a ball is to turn their head away and leaving themselves more exposed to injury.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014
    That is terribly sad.

On the opposite end I see Mad Frankie Fraser has died at the ripe old age of 90. I expect hundreds of the bent nose brigade will line the East End streets for this miserable little sad sack of shits funeral parade.
  11. Southall wrote
    Awful news that Australian cricketer Phil Hughes has died after being hit by the ball on his head in a match a couple of days ago. Only 25 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30219440

I always wondered how these guys aren't afraid of being hit by a ball hit towards them at incredible speeds. Sadly that happened now with dramatic consequences. Anyway, too early and too sad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2014
    Goodnight Mrs Baylock, scariest Nanny ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I don't know about that. wink

I must admit, however, that I'm not aware of any work she's done beyond the OMEN role.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Well, I don't know about that. wink

biggrin

I must admit, however, that I'm not aware of any work she's done beyond the OMEN role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Whitelaw
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And now Joe Cocker, apparently:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

He was one of the big ones in his genre (covers of soul songs), and my ol' best friend was a big fan of his.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey! shocked
    Never was a big fan, but he sure was a Name in the business, anda great character with his 'guitar hands'.
  12. He did two of my favorite songs. I can't iamgine now, thinking of "The Wonder Years", and hearing his performance opening the show.
  13. I loved to watch him perform. Sadly I never saw him live, but even on screen he was a mighty presence. I don't own any of his albums though.
  14. I saw him live twice here in Poland, including a tour for I think my favourite album of his - Have a Little Faith.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website