• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just seen the sad news. There was a lot of humour in his portrayal of Spock which always brightened the show.

I was lucky enough to meet Leonard Nimoy at a book signing in Manchester many years ago and he seemed such a nice guy - when I offered my hand for a handshake he gladly took it, and stood as he took it.

A sad day indeed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    Sorry to hear this. I was never a big fan of STAR TREK, but he's such a cultural icon regardless. And he did play in other things as well up untill quite recently, including a favourite television series of mine, FRINGE.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He has been - and always shall be - our friend. sad
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He was also in Mission Impossible.

Very sad to hear this. It's no exaggeration to say he was one of the biggest cultural icons ever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was lucky enough to meet Leonard Nimoy at a book signing in Manchester many years ago and he seemed such a nice guy - when I offered my hand for a handshake he gladly took it, and stood as he took it.

No doubt about it. A proper Gentleman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Like many actors defined by a single role, I saw him in barely anything else, but his creation of that great character was just fantastic. Like Alan said, the humour to it was what made it.

He certainly lived long and prospered.
  3. I regret to this day that Nimoy didn't write and helm "STAR TREK GENERATIONS". He demanded to rewrite the script for he clearly saw the many flaws therein. I like the film for what it is but I'm sure Nimoy would have elevated it on another level entirely.

SPOCK: In your own way, you are as stubborn as another captain of the Enterprise I once knew.
    PICARD: Then I'm in good company, Sir.

ST TNG UNIFICATION, perhaps my all time favourite ST lines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    I love how astronauts are paying tribute to Leonard Nimoy. They grew up with Star Trek and were inspired to to do what they do today. Amazing how for instance TV series and actors (but also writers and other artists) can mean so much to science and just all kinds of professions really. Science can't do without art, without dreams and wonder and imagination. Here's a NASA video:

http://youtu.be/2AwUnkrqNyw
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    So true Bregje. And thank you for sharing that video!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015
    Leonard Nimoy narrates over John Williams music
  4. Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

He combined fantasy and humor and created one of the most iconic realms of that genre. Pratchett suffered from Alzheimer's in his latter years.
    I read some of his Disc-World novels whithout having been the biggest fan though.

Volker
  5. I've read a handful of the Discworld novels. Like you, Volker, never really got properly into them (and there's so many!) but they were certainly a unique, refreshing and funny spin on the fantasy genre. I was always impressed that he continued to write with no (as far as I could tell) noticeable drop in quality despite his battle with Alzheimer's. He will be missed. sad
  6. I've not read any Pratchett books. But it does seem to have been popular as his death is the headline news on TV.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    Sad news. I've been a big fan of his work for many years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/geoff … 201467979/

A great character actor and one of the spookiest ever vampires in Salems Lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015
    Oh my word! sad
    I remember a time in the eighties when you coudln't turn on the TV without seeing him in a supporting role. He was EVERYWHERE! A-Team, L.A. Law, Magnum P.I., Falcon Crest, Lou Grant... And of course indeed all those incredibly stupid Clint-with-monkey films (which I really hate).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The name didn't ring a bell, but I've seen that face a few times over the years, as Martijn alludes to.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I remember him from "Falcon Crest". My sister and me used so watch DALLAS and DYNASTY and the like with my parents. My father's constant dry comments turned these soaps into hilariously funny TV events.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also watched DYNASTY and FALCON CREST with my parents (well, mostly my mom). DALLAS not so much. I can't remember if I saw Geoffrey Lewis there, but I must have.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015
    Oooooohhhh. sad
    Percy Sledge died. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015
    Damn! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's pretty much the only song I know of his, but it's SUCH an iconic one! And Percy delivers it SO well!
    Not just one of the best songs to come out of the sixties, but one of my all-time favourites, period.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    True Martijn, that one song cements him in legendary status.
  8. Rest in peace, Ben E. King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    Rest in peace, Ben E. King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

brilliant song, a classic sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015
    Bloody hell. sad
    I was just thinking about him now that we lost Percy Sledge (and the frontman of The Kingsmen last week), that this was pretty much the only iconic song left that had not yet "passed into legend".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015
    Very sad! sad B.B. King is not looking too good either.
  10. Film/television composer Richard LaSalle has passed away.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. BB King passed passed away. A true legend of blues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-15575668
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    A huge legend! sad