• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Actor Karl Malden has just passed away at age 97.

Although not the best known actor (most Americans will probably best remember him from the TV series The Streets Of San Francisco), I always enjoyed seeing him on screen. Very memorable (if only through his twice-broken nose), he always turned in a solid appearance.

Thanks Karl.

Oh...

What about Patton? That's the part of his I know the best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    He made a great late-career cameo in The West Wing, in a stunningly-written part.
  2. I only knew him of the odd part here and there. At least 97 is a life long lived, so he earned his rest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Although not the best known actor (most Americans will probably best remember him from the TV series The Streets Of San Francisco), I always enjoyed seeing him on screen. Very memorable (if only through his twice-broken nose), he always turned in a solid appearance.

Thanks Karl.

97 is a great innings cool

However will Quin Martin cope now? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    As he passed away in 1987 I can't believe he'd be too bothered. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Out of respect for the (shockingly shocked ) high number of Jackson fans on the forum, I will refrain from posting any of the truly abysmal jokes my friends have already sent me in astonishing quantities on his passing.

I think my restraint is a fitting tribute for a man who knew none.

And that's quite enough of that. I was touched more by Farah's death anyway.

How many Jacko fans are there here???

As for jokes, they were doing the rounds of Glastonbury within minutes of his death being announced.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Too many. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    Here's a great little eulogy I wholeheartedly concur with.

Karl Malden Died For Your Sins
    Tim Cavanaugh | July 1, 2009, 6:59pm

My local news station describes Karl Malden, dead today at 97 years young, as having been "a fixture of seventies television." Even for a committed Quinn Martin fan, that seems like pretty uncharitable praise for a major cultural figure. If nothing else, as celebrities continue to pop off before their time, Malden proved that clean living can help get you almost a century.

With his slightly monstrous physiognomy and a temperament permanently set at "lovable but overbearing," Malden was the greatest of the second bananas. Even his breakthrough American Express commercials hinged on Malden's ability to reassure you: "I'm not a big star; you can trust me." And you could! By some accounts it was Malden's eloquent defense of Elia Kazan that got the controversial HUAC songbird his lifetime achievement award in 1999. As it is the nature of supporting players not to get the glory, there's no sense in complaining about underrating. So I'll just say that for me, On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Patton are all Karl Malden vehicles in which somebody else got most of the credit.

Source: http://reason.com/blog/show/134539.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Shows how massive his popularity is then.

and for the record, NO, I'm not a fan, there's just an awful lot of his music that I really enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    As he passed away in 1987 I can't believe he'd be too bothered. wink

Quinn Martin will never die.....at least on cable channels wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote

Thanks Karl.

Oh...

What about Patton? That's the part of his I know the best.

I believe that was George C. Scott mate.
    (cu Goldsmith's Patton trumpet echo)
  3. Malden played Gen. Bradley smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Malden played Gen. Bradley smile

I thought that is what you meant. wink
  4. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Too many. slant

stopwar

wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    [stopwar

applause

kiss beer
  5. With all the hysteria surrounding Jackson's death, another death has crept by unnoticed, but it has hit the spot for me. Robert MacNamara, 1916-2009, lived a good long life, long enough to do both good and bad things. Surely a remarkable individual however, and I'm grateful that Errol Morris made THE FOG OF WAR when he did. It changed my view of MacNamara quite a bit, from being a 'name' and a power player to being another human being, one with immense capabilities, who faced difficult choices and didn't always choose well. I think the planet is truly poorer without him.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    With all the hysteria surrounding Jackson's death, another death has crept by unnoticed, but it has hit the spot for me. Robert MacNamara, 1916-2009, lived a good long life, long enough to do both good and bad things. Surely a remarkable individual however, and I'm grateful that Errol Morris made THE FOG OF WAR when he did. It changed my view of MacNamara quite a bit, from being a 'name' and a power player to being another human being, one with immense capabilities, who faced difficult choices and didn't always choose well. I think the planet is truly poorer without him.

I've never seen The Fog Of War, but I am more than cursorily aware of McNamara's role and involvement in military decisions during and after the Kennedy years. I am about as impressed by the man's "achievements" as I am with Rumsfeld's.
  6. Semi-funny, I suppose, Martijn. I suspect you'll never hear Rumsfeld say 'I was wrong' (or believe it), or go on to devote the second half of his life to anti-nuclear proliferation and anti-poverty campaigns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    Not funny at all.
    It's good he repented later in life.
    I wish he'd done it a bit sooner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Semi-funny, I suppose, Martijn. I suspect you'll never hear Rumsfeld say 'I was wrong' (or believe it), or go on to devote the second half of his life to anti-nuclear proliferation

Incidentally, he only opposed the ABM program purely out of financial considerations. Not any humanitarian ones.

I understand that Fog Of War is based for the better part on McNamara's own words?
    If he did indeed paint himself as an anti-nuke proponent, he's been way more lenient on himself than history is.
  7. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Semi-funny, I suppose, Martijn. I suspect you'll never hear Rumsfeld say 'I was wrong' (or believe it), or go on to devote the second half of his life to anti-nuclear proliferation

Incidentally, he only opposed the ABM program purely out of financial considerations. Not any humanitarian ones.

I understand that Fog Of War is based for the better part on McNamara's own words?
    If he did indeed paint himself as an anti-nuke proponent, he's been way more lenient on himself than history is.

He doesn't mention the anti-nuke thing actually.
    I suspect the financial considerations were at the time the best way he thought he could put the argument, particularly with the rise of Friedman's monetarists and their renewed attack on bloated public sector. In certain forums, the financial sustainability argument is still the one that will find the fewest deaf ears.

FOG is mostly about the pre-1969 life of MacNamara. There's quite a bit of stuff on his association with Curtis Lemay (fire bombing of Japan), his time as President of Ford, his relationships with Kennedy and Johnson, and in particular, Gulf of Tonkin and the subsequent Vietnam choices. Errol Morris weaves his way around the subject carefully, finding ways to merit such cooperation while subtly passing judgement in others. A world away from Michael Moore's hysterical approach, to way of thinking, and refreshing among the famous documentarians.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I suspect the financial considerations were at the time the best way he thought he could put the argument, particularly with the rise of Friedman's monetarists and their renewed attack on bloated public sector. In certain forums, the financial sustainability argument is still the one that will find the fewest deaf ears.

Surely McNamara was a trained economist himself.
    In fact, while he showed considerable acumen in leading/restructuring huge enterprises (whether they be public or private), he never seemed to be much of a political animal. In that sense I find it very hard to believe that he would use economics as a mere pretext for nuclear restraint.

In fact, it seems to me that his goal was optimum efficiency rather than humanitarianism: there was simply no benefit to the ABM with regards to the then-current state of mutual assured destruction: the nuclear balance wasn't to be changed or upset by an additional multi-billion nuclear program that would have been easily countered by the Soviets.

FOG is mostly about the pre-1969 life of MacNamara. There's quite a bit of stuff on his association with Curtis Lemay (fire bombing of Japan), his time as President of Ford, his relationships with Kennedy and Johnson, and in particular, Gulf of Tonkin and the subsequent Vietnam choices. Errol Morris weaves his way around the subject carefully, finding ways to merit such cooperation while subtly passing judgement in others.

Sounds an interesting documentary, and one I shall be certain to seek out (I have never actually seen any footage of the man that lasted more than three seconds!).

A world away from Michael Moore's hysterical approach

Thank God. slant
    With such a burden of a subject as it still is, forty yeasr hence, it would have been way too easy to come screeching in and demand satisfaction, as the current trend of shock-docs tends to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In the news, especially the sports scene in the US is the death of quarterback Steve McNair (36). Hard to truly speculate at this point on who etc. but it has been ruled a homicide.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    The Most Trusted Man In America has died.

While not widely known outside of the US (unless you happened to be a student of Americana), Walter Cronkite, the voice of CBS News for nigh countless of decades has passed away at age 92.

Cronkite was a household name in the fifties and sixties, having reported and commented on every epic news item of the time, and as such, like them, has become part of history.

Obviously not being American, I have never seen the man in action...but I have read SO many articles, books and stories in which he was referenced, that I daresay he's become as well known to me as to anyone in the States. He'd probably have been shocked to learn he's become part of pop culture. But he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He was in a way Mr. America
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Certainly one of the Good Old Boys in Journalism
    If not a God
  8. Martijn wrote
    Walter Cronkite

Obviously not being American, I have never seen the man in action...

Well you certainly have seen him in action at least once, there's a scene in Apollo 13 where the Lovell family is watching him commenting on the telly during the moonlanding of Apollo 11. That's how I'll always remember him. In tears during such a momentous event.

I've seen him in various other films as well playing himself, most recent one was Frost / Nixon I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Not many football fans around here, but still worth mentioning the death of Bobby Robson, who always seemed (from seeing him on the tv) to be a truly lovely gentleman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Not many football fans around here, but still worth mentioning the death of Bobby Robson, who always seemed (from seeing him on the tv) to be a truly lovely gentleman.

Indeed. He was one of the greatest, for sure, on par with Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Zidane and so forth.

Incredible that he made his last public appearance just 6 days ago, at the charity match in his honour. He seemed frail there, but smiled and reacted to the proceedings.

sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He's one of those guys where you can just tell how heartfelt the tributes are. Apart from silly stuff in the newspapers after England lost games under him, I don't think I ever heard a single bad word about him.