• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. TV & film composer Rober Drasnin has passed away.

Popular series he worked on include:

"Hawaii Five-O"
    "Barnaby Jones"
    "Mission: Impossible"

and "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

IMDb credits listing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006046/reference
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Pierre Brice (1929-2015)

French actor Pierre Brice died of pneumonia in Paris today. He never was nearly as popular in his native France as he was in Germany. He didn't play, he was Winnetou, the idealized Native American Apache chief derived from Karl May's adventure stories. He played alongside Lex Barker (Old Shatterhand). Together they became a cultural icon of the pre-unity Federal Republic.

I'll play music from the films by Martin Böttcher later today.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015
    The 'Weltmeister' of easy listening and soft pop has died.
    James Last, age 86.
    sad
    Thanks, James.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I was never a big fan of James Last, but his music accompanied many a Christmas in my parents house. It sort of became a running joke even. He made a lot of people happy, bless him.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. James Last featured heavily in my parent's LP collection, so his music is part of the soundtrack of my early childhood. Later I came to appreciate him as a really great band leader. I never became a full blown fan but I own three or four compilations. I cherish his "Live at the RAH London" double CD of 1978. This was his heyday. The concert features a version of the STAR WARS Theme that he clearly "lent" from Meco. For some reason this album was never released in Germany.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The 'Weltmeister' of easy listening and soft pop has died.

He was indeed! He is also the last of his kind, a very sad day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've posted this one in the past but its great. Written by Lemmy from Motorhead, James Last rocks this one...

Silver Machine
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I've posted this one in the past but its great. Written by Lemmy from Motorhead, James Last rocks this one...

Silver Machine

It's not bad...but he doesn't actually seem to be doing anything!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Silver Machine

It's not bad...but he doesn't actually seem to be doing anything!

Yeah, but that kind of "non-conducting" was part of his trade mark, wasn't it? The band was the star.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have to be honest and say I haven't seen all that many live presentations of his performances, so you may well be right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, he is Martijn, that is pretty much his trademark.

Good to see a tribute on BBC news just now. I didn't know he lived in Florida.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015
    I refuse to believe it. That's impossible. He's immortal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think I might know what will pop up in the Now Playing thread...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited
    The Now Playing ( NON film / game / tv scores ) thread, yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh hang on. I'm being a fucktard. For some reason I thought Lee was in the Williams scored Dracula?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That was one version he was NOT in. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Admittedly I was just going on the artwork, which kinda resembles him... dizzy
  6. Steven wrote
    Admittedly I was just going on the artwork, which kinda resembles him... dizzy

Er ... OK ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah. Now that I see it in higher res, you're right...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Total nonsense and lies!

As pointed out, an impossibility!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! sad slant
  7. Timmer wrote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I believe that guy wasn't actually played by Christopher Lee. That was the other bad Sith.

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited
    I hope my friend Graham Watt at FSM won't mind me taking his thoughts on the passing of a legend and posting it here. It mirrors my feelings...

'The end of an era.

How can I feel "sad" at the passing of 93-year-old man I never met? It doesn't make any sense until put into "selfish" terms - as in how his films helped shape ME as a person, ever since I watched (HORROR OF) DRACULA on TV more than forty years ago. I feel like the last part of what remained from my formative years has simply evaporated, making me feel like I'm suddenly orphaned and have to face the real world now as an adult.

He had a wonderful life though, and achieved just about everything. So I shouldn't hold his passing against him, but I almost resent him for having the audacity to not live forever.

R.I.P, sir. You're the one that has died, and I'm the one feeling sorry for myself. Dammit.'
  8. He's gone back to his coffin for a nice nap, but he'll be back. Christopher Lee is eternal.
  9. Robin (Perseverence Records) just posted that composer Phillip Lambro had passed away:

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my dear friend Phillip Lambro died yesterday morning at Glendale Adventist Hospital. He had suffered from a stroke that he had in April and was on a feeding tube. Phillip couldn't speak anymore during the last two months of his life and had limited use of his left arm. He is survived by a brother. He was 80 years old. I'll miss him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2015
    Of course death means nothing to count Iblis, I'm still sad to see the passing of Patrick Macnee at the wonderful age of 93.

Although he did a few walk-ons and voice-overs after, it's maybe fitting in a way (because it was really a horrible movie) that his last role in a big film was that of Invisible Jones in the 1998 film version of The Avengers.

Goodbye, mr. Steed.
  10. Sad indeed. I have to say though, that those Religious references - Count Iblis, the Beings of Light, the Exodus metaphor - always bothered me a bit. Of course STAR WARS features the very same dichotomy of Good and Evil. It certainly has it's share of Christology. But most of the other references are directed towards eastern tradition rather than Christian. Maybe that's why it never bothered me that much.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2015
    Yeah, it was Glen A. Larson's very heavy-handed attempt at never to subtly tying SCiFi into religion (it's an aspect that really annoys me in the reboot as well). But hey, when I first saw it I was 10, so it went all over my head. I was just absolutely sawed by epic light beings and evil presences that could not even be killed by shooting them!
  11. Omar Sharif 1932-2015

One of those gentleman actors that don't seem to exist in more recent generations. Dr. Zhivago is gone.

sad Volker
  12. I thought he was already dead.

I think that I only ever saw him in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and on WOGAN.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015
    Sad to hear.

I'll remember him in Doctor Zhivago, a brilliant film that I'm surprised Alan hasn't seen.