• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Shit no! He was a a great villain in Die Hard and Robin Hood and his funny role in Galaxy Quest makes me smile just by thinking about it.

crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Synchrotones wrote
    Alan Rickman... Apparently. I liked him. sad

fuck me, not liking this at all.
    Great actor. RIP sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. A fantastic actor! Sad news.

sad Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Sad news, indeed. Alan Rickman was excellent in everything I ever saw him in.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    Glenn Frey now. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Some random song is on the radio right now. Just as logged in and viewed this thread, it dawned on me that it's 'The Heat is On'. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Sad to hear the death of Colin Vearncombe (aka Black). My experience of the eighties is filled with his music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Actor Abe Vigoda has passed away. He was 94.

IMDb credits listing:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001820/reference

While searching for his date of death (turns out to have been today) I found this site:
    www.isabevigodadead.com

It was actually around before and said "No" until today.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sad to hear the death of Colin Vearncombe (aka Black). My experience of the eighties is filled with his music.

Ah... he from 'Wonderful Life'. Well darn, one hit wonder or not, that's a great song. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016
    Touched by the affection shown to Terry Wogan, a radio broadcaster without equal. When I was very young I have vague memories of my parents listening to his breakfast show and starting their mornings off with a smile, but he disappeared for a decade to concentrate on tv (where he was good but radio was his forte). When he returned to the radio in the early 1990s I was a teenager and listening to the Radio 2 breakfast show was about as uncool as anything could be, but I was nothing if not uncool and then as well as starting my parents' mornings off with a smile, he started mine off that way too.

When I went to university and therefore had nothing to do, I listened to every minute of his show every morning. His genius was twofold, I think - he made it sound like he was talking to you and only you, sharing a private joke somehow; and he made you feel smart. In an era of dumbing down, his broad vocabulary, his beautifully dainty turns of phrase, his seemingly endless knowledge not just of popular culture but of classical culture, literature, language - when he did jokes, I thought to myself this is funny and one of the reasons it's funny is because I know most people wouldn't understand it. But the thing was, so many people did understand it, with eight million listeners his was the most popular radio show there had ever been (and in all probability ever will be). In a country of sixty million, to get eight of them to listen to the same radio show is really quite something.

My new friends at university thought me profoundly odd to be listening to this old people's stuff rather than whatever junk they listened to, but one by one I converted them. Much of his show was built around reading out missives from listeners and I sent in my own every day, which he always read out. I vaguely got to know his producer Paul Walters and one of his co-presenters Alan Dedicoat, I got occasional replies from the great man himself, and he invited me to a tv recording he was doing where he turned out to be the warm and charming man that nobody could be in any doubt that he was.

After he retired from his daily show, the presenter of the following show left a pause and then said "We'll never hear his like again." No doubt about that. He was the best, and not just by a small margin. He brought joy to my life for many years, along with millions of others. Not many people could say that.

I'm sure nobody else here will have been as touched as me, and I'm sure nobody outside the UK will even have heard of him, but I wanted to write this somewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no connection to Terry Wogan like you Brits, but I knew his name. I know that he was an integral component of your popular culture in the last 30-40 years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    and I'm sure nobody outside the UK will even have heard of him

Surely you jest. The man is a legend.
    A slightly cheesy legend, but I do like my cheese.
    Whenever Wogan did whatever he was doing, he always felt like an anomaly: a seventies throwback even back in the seventies. I never disliked anything he did. Never very much liked it either. Talk show, radio show, host, announcer...he was a fixture, I'll give you that. And for that alone it'll be odd turning on the BBC and not find him on there, somewhere from now on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    and I'm sure nobody outside the UK will even have heard of him

Surely you jest. The man is a legend.
    A slightly cheesy legend, but I do like my cheese.
    Whenever Wogan did whatever he was doing, he always felt like an anomaly: a seventies throwback even back in the seventies. I never disliked anything he did. Never very much liked it either. Talk show, radio show, host, announcer...he was a fixture, I'll give you that. And for that alone it'll be odd turning on the BBC and not find him on there, somewhere from now on.

Depends on where in Europe you live. British pop culture is pretty widespread throughout Northern and Western Europe, but not so much in the South and East.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016 edited
    Very well said James and very heart felt. I didn't connect to him like you did but I liked him, listening to him on radio which I did thousands of times was never grating ( replacing him with Timmy Mallet protégé Chris Evans for fucks sake rolleyes ), in a world of in-your-face media he was the calm in the storm and I'll certainly miss him.

Terry Wogan interviews Robin Williams
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016
    Thor wrote
    I have no connection to Terry Wogan like you Brits, but I knew his name. I know that he was an integral component of your popular culture in the last 30-40 years.

He was THE reason that made the UK broadcast of The Eurovision Song Contest watchable, his witty irreverence has been missed ever since he handed the reigns over to Graham Norton ( who is not bad to be fair ), here in the UK this contest has never been taken seriously and Terry Wogan understood that.
  9. I remember he featured in some documentary about the ESC. His German counterpart is Peter Urban whos ESC commentary is as iconic here as Terry Wogan's apparently was over in Britain.

Volker
  10. Film and television composer Ray Calcord has passed away. As noted over at FSM, composer Dan Foliart posted the following on his Facebook page:

It is with deep sadness that I report the passing of my dear friend, Ray Colcord.
    To say that Ray was courageous, would be a gross understatement, as his valiant battle with pancreatic cancer over four years, not only defied all odds, it redefined to all who knew him what the words courage and determination truly mean. During most of those four years we were running companions, with Ray, even in his weakened condition, always the winner as he truly is today. Participating in several LA marathons was always one of his most prized accomplishments.
    It was Ray who insisted that I follow in his footsteps as President of the Society of Composers & Lyricists. He served our membership with distinction, calling upon his wit, intelligence and knowledge of his chosen profession to elevate the organization to new heights and prestige within the large community here and abroad.

As a composer, his work on such classic series as Boy Meets World, The Facts of Life, My Two Dads, 227, Big Brother2 &3, Family Affair, Lost at Home, Dinosaurs, Promised Land, Silver Spoons, Hiller and Diller, Touched by an Angel and Where I Live among countless others set the bar high for all of us working in the profession. His music for those series continues to play around the world. He was particularly proud of his work on the movie, Heartwood, where he was able to employ Elmer Bernstein sensibilities with his own beautiful gift for melody and textures. It was no coincidence that he was able to convince Elmer to take a position on the ASCAP board, of which Ray was a proud member for several decades. Ray’s passion for composers’ rights was unparalleled and his tireless work to try to achieve equality in the greater entertainment community with collective bargaining was admired by all of his peers. His tenure as Governor of the Television Academy yielded among many things, the recognition of Earle Hagen and a night celebrating the art of the television theme song. Other highlights from his community service included serving on the board of the Film Music Society and the Film Preservation Society, as well as memberships in Musicians Union, Local 47 and SAG.

In his early career Ray had the opportunity to tour with the renowned Columbus Boys Choir and later with hit recording artist, Roy Head as an accomplished keyboardist. This led to a coveted position of A&R at Columbia Records where he performed on the seminal album, American Pie with Don Maclean and was the first to hear Aerosmith and convince Clive Davis to sign them. He left Columbia to produce their second album and then went on tour with Lou Reed as a keyboard player. His diverse career went on to include time as music director and keyboardist for an Evening at the Improv and the Groundlings, a celebrated Los Angeles comedy group.

Ray achieved what all of us dream of—going out on top. Through his close friend and champion, Michael Jacobs, Ray was still writing music for Michael’s hit series, Girl Meets World up until his final days. He leaves his loving wife, Maddy and talented son, Alex, who lived through the good and bad times, but never faltered in their devotion to this creative and passionate soul. I am better for having known Ray Colcord and cherish these last few years of watching this heroic figure that was the exemplary role model for all who knew him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016
    I'm familiar with the name, but I don't think I've heard anything he's done. In either case, that's way too early to go. Sorry to hear it.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Yes, sorry to hear. I'd never heard of him nor any of his music. It shows there's so much to discover in film & TV scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. What heartfelt obituary to give to a friend.
  13. And now another composer has passed away. Sam spence died yesterday. He was 88.

He's best known for his music for the NFL. Even though other composers contributed music, his work is the famous one.

Examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1b2CzlELs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprqSr1-v3o
  14. Film and television composer Jmmie Haskell has passed away.

His IMDb credits page:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0368135/reference
  15. Harper Lee (1926-2016)

To Kill a Mockingbird ... the timeless story about humanity, the love of a father, about good and evil. I love the novel, the film, the score. I have jet to read Go Set a Watchman.

sad Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of the film and score as well (never read the book). I understand there was quite a bit of controversy surrounding her second book, which had racist tendencies -- as opposed to MOCKINGBIRD which showcased the struggle for Afro-American rights.

Sorry to hear that she passed.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Umberto Eco (1932 - 2016)

One of my favourite authors and scholars. Brilliant man!

Volker
  17. Goodness, literature is taking some hits. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    Ah! Another favourite of mine. I haven't read much of his fiction, but several of his academic texts are favourites of mine and frequently used throughout my student days. Damn!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    Yet another legendary cinematographer has passed away -- Douglas Slocombe at 103(!):

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35635360

My first exposure to his work was the first three Indiana Joneses, but he's obviously done a lot more than that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    103! shocked

It's probably me, but a lot of legends and famous names have come to pass away this year!
    Kazoo
  18. No, you are right, sadly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website