• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. (copied and pasted)

Tony Dyson, R2D2's creator, has been found dead at his own home in Malta - police suspect no foul play involved.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited
    Not surprisingly considering his film score output we never had a thread for GEORGE MARTIN

The man's musical importance is impossible to overestimate, from Vaughan Williams to Bernard Cribbens, John Barry to a little known band called The Beatles, or Brian Wilson to Jeff Beck, the list is endless, I'm gutted to hear of his passing, he was one of the true giants of the music industry.

THEME ONE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. A versatile composer and a ingenious arranger. A pioneer of modern music production. Gorge Martin was a true legend.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016
    Howabout this for a great image...

Elmer Bernstein, Don Black, George Martin & John Barry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Great fantasy author too!
    :coat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Howabout this for a great image...

Elmer Bernstein, Don Black, George Martin & John Barry

Cool. But sad to think that only Don Black remains. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh what? George Martin?? Oh no...sad
    Yes,
    I know: the man had a wonderful, fruitful life, and lived to be *ninety*...but still...damn, man, my youth is getting to be more and more a matter of record rather than a living memory.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016
    Johan Cruyff. What a footballer. RIP.
  4. One of the greatest. I'd have no hesitation selecting him for the All-Time Starting Eleven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016
    What a player. Even had a dribble move (or whatever it's called in English) named after him -- a move I've used repeatedly on the field myself. I wasn't aware that he had cancer.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Every little kid can do a Cruyff turn these days...it's one of those things where when you stop and think "someone, one day, actually came up with this out of nowhere" it's just incredible. To have been there to see it used the first time.

I think this might be my favorite version that I've ever seen. Not the classiest example...but lol
  6. Garry Shandling has died at age 66.

Well now who are we going to get to star in Hans Zimmer's biopic?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Garry Shandling has died at age 66.

Well now who are we going to get to star in Hans Zimmer's biopic?

Separated at birth or what!!! I can't think of any film composer who would make an interesting biopic except for Mikis Theodorakis.

Sorry to hear about Shandling and Cruyff.
  7. Composer Terry Plumeri is dead at 71. A new article I read reported he was found dead in his rental home in Florida, the victim of a homicide. There had been a rash of breaks in in the area.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006230/reference
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016 edited
    Looks like another prominent pop figure has departed. No more partying like it's 1999.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And now Prince?!?

What the hell is up with all these big stars dying so young?

I didn't think he was so heavy on the unhealthy lifestyle.

What a tremendous loss to not only to pop music, but popular culture as such!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Talking about how busy the site is, this topic is (unfortunately) quite active (especially if all the celebrities were listed).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And Guy "Goldfinger/Live And Let Die/Force 10 From Navarone" Hamilton, at age 93.
    A wonderfully ripe old age, to be sure, for a man responsible of many a thriller and action flick that spiced up my formative years.

Thanks Guy! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    But yeah. This.
    Not shaping up to be the finest of years.
  9. I'm less shocked by Prince's death than Bowie's. Other than a couple of songs back when I was a lad the artist formerly known to be alive was not one of my favorite musicians.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. I'm not into R&B in general. But "Purple Rain" is in my collection alongside "Thriller" by M.J. I wouldn't want to miss both.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm less shocked by Prince's death than Bowie's. Other than a couple of songs back when I was a lad the artist formerly known to be alive was not one of my favorite musicians.

GOD, I'm relieved to hear you say that.

I never could get into ANYTHING he ever did (plus, if you ever thought Michael Jackson was weird, you should read Kevin Smith's seriously surreal account of his journey to make a documentary about this guy...).
    To this day I think his best song was The Bangles' Manic Monday.
    And The Bangles had, y'know, Susanna Hoffs and Michael Steel... love

But I digress.

Anyway, so, yeah.
    Not personally touched much by his passing (Gareth Thomas'death a few days back hit me a lot harder)...but, y'know...he IS one of those NAMES. Part of pop culture history.
    So I am on board with the Big-Dealishness of it all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    Although I was never a fan per se, he was very much a part of my pop cultural upbringing. In fact, I remember a classmate was a huge fan back in the late 80s, so I heard a lot of his stuff through her. And on radio, tv etc., of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Now there's news that the last original PG Tips chimp has died too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le … e-36103383
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm less shocked by Prince's death than Bowie's. Other than a couple of songs back when I was a lad the artist formerly known to be alive was not one of my favorite musicians.

GOD, I'm relieved to hear you say that.

Relieved? Quoi?? Waarom??? confused

Martijn wrote
    plus, if you ever thought Michael Jackson was weird...).

MJ was an excentric man, but boy I do love the man's artistic achievements. During his prime (which lasted for decades IMO) he was untouchable. For me he was the ultimate performer / songwriter / singer. He had the DNA of a genius. The Albert Einstein of music notes and flawless rhythm.

I'm currently listening (and singing along) to a best of MJ album in my car. punk

Are you still relieved? wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    I ain't talkin' to no one who uses parsecs as a measure of time.

OK, maybe Han Solo. BUT NO ONE else.
  12. cry

Oh and [spoiler]Han Solo is DEAD[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote

Denial is a river in Egypt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Loved Prince. Gutted.

Not so keen on a lot of his chart stuff but there was pure gold in a lot of his albums, the man was an exceptional musician.
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    cry

great fucking read this now crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh