• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    I just read how Yelchin came to his end.

Such a ridiculous thing to happen. sad

it is such a stupid accident. But no less painful.
    What a way to go sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Composer and conductor Harry Rabinowitz has died today. He lived just a few months over 100.

Rabinowitz conducted many scores over the decades, especially for Yared. He's best known for doing that one cue from "Aliens":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ErIJuYFh1A
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Rabinowitz composed the score for The Sign of Four, a score that I utterly love and that - as far as I know - has never been released on CD.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. R.I.P. Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016
    Next stop: Trump?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. For now UK: Scotland and Ireland are considering independence referendums.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    For now UK: Scotland and Ireland are considering independence referendums.

And Spain looks to get 'joint sovereignty' for Gibraltar too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016 edited
    And Netherlands, French and Denmark nationalists are talking of their own referendums as well? i think i saw this on Euronews.
  7. Well, yes; the likes of Wilders and Le Pen will be pleased as punch with this result. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    To think the state of today's mass of people in the EU, think of Brexit today, and also what times we live in, when retards like Le Pen attract so much attention, support and followers. I hope time will prove us all wrong and that only the positive will come out of all of this , i..e EU having a hard long look on itself and correcting our errors, but i am afraid with the rise in numbers of the older voters, illiterate people and strong populism from such politicians who control the stupid masses, there's no hope.
  8. You think the raise of radicalism and nationalism is only lack of education, illiteracy and things like that? I think it's a deeper problem hinting at the fact that major establishment has fucked up for quite a few years. It's really a very deep issue, that has to be seriously considered in terms of the future of the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, there's a problem indeed. And it's deep and complex. This is why i said the EU has to take this as a chance to take a good deep look to itelf especially when it comes to the whole political and economical foundations and route to the EU future...also the whole Muslim thing (yes i know, an unpopular opinion but still, EU is giving zero fucks about guarding or at least regulating its borders and integrity) and most importantly corrupt politicians, memorandums, unemployment esp. amongst youth, lack of vision, coherency and common goal amongst EU members. No central policy, just a big mess.

But usually, nationalism radicalism and the notion that for every bad thing that happens to us the foreigners and the 'others' are to blame, is connected with this stuff. Look at the Brexit stats: London, large city centers and 75% of youth voted for Bremain whilst the areas around and the older in age population voted for Brexit. Also what further proof do you need than Trump hailing Brexit and calling it a 'great day' ? http://bigstory.ap.org/69835cb3eaf8484586bfa2247080da74
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    You think the raise of radicalism and nationalism is only lack of education, illiteracy and things like that?

There's also racism and xenophobia, but essentially, yes. Or at least largely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You think the raise of radicalism and nationalism is only lack of education, illiteracy and things like that?

There's also racism and xenophobia, but essentially, yes. Or at least largely.

True.
  10. For example, I think we look at Trump the wrong way. We have to consider a couple of things when we analyze his rise to popularity, which may be telling quite a bit.

At first, before the candidates for nomination started to appear, Americans were responding in polls in a quite interesting way. At first, the preferred president would be Frank Underwood, a quick reminder, a fictional character. Then when a student or even high-schooler made a parody site, there was a huge rise in popularity of a certain Deez Nuts, which also added a bit of hilarity, but wasn't properly considered at the time.

Trump is colorful. He himself admits that his racist and xenophobic remarks are there mostly to spice up the debate and, basically, have him in the news. I think what really works in his case is that he doesn't discuss numbers, statistics. He just delivers on the promise-giving department. His basic argument is the most juvenile, but the most necessary one: "I'll do it, don't worry. Believe me, I'll do it". How? Does it even matter at this point? He SAYS he will do something. Does Hillary or even Bernie, or Cruz, or Kasich, or anyone for that matter do that? No. There is no "Believe me, I'm there for you" in these cases. Sanders is the closest to that.

I think the problems we've been facing for at least 10 years now is that politicians lost tune with their respective constituencies. We are living in times where the most important thing for a ruling party is to keep the power and the opposition doesn't define itself by any ideas (except essentially election promises, which are usually out of this world) other than voting against whatever the ruling party proposes. Debate quality went quickly downhill, as we could say in Polish "flushed itself in the toilet".

Sure, the right and left differences are huge, never been bigger before. I want to think that it was more than the Cold War that made the post-war world at least agree to disagree and not, for example, publicly destroy the foreign policy in public debate. An American Congressman pointing at Obama and yelling "YOU LIE!" during, of all things, the State of the Union address a few years ago would be unheard of even in G. W. Bush's time, let alone, say Bush sr., Reagan or even Carter times, from what I understand.

The rise in conservative thought comes from another place, too, I think. We are living in a more and more liberal and globalized world. For right-wing people this, especially the fact that the notion of nation has been waning due to globalization, is, for them, a real threat to their own sense of, I think, even, identity, or at least sense of security. Add to it that public discourse which also took a left turn, is ridiculing these people at every possible moment. Of course, we may ridicule 'Muricans, as Demetris and many others (including some Americans themselves!) calls them, but they aren't so stupid NOT to see that the joke is on them and they want to participate and be a valid part of the discussion rather than the point of ridicule. We may think what we want. But this large wall between us, the more or less liberal public majority, is larger than the wall proposed by Trump, really.

The rise of xenophobia, Brexit, rise of Trump, violence among and towards refugees, is proof of Europe, US, the whole world standing for more liberal values, the majority of international public discourse, is a warning sign that we should try and reach out to people who feel completely ignored, ridiculed and hurt by the said discourse.

Politicians should tune in to ears of their constituents and not think that you can simply throw people some basic ideas and keep your parliament seat anymore. The best politician of recent years, to me, is Barack Obama who managed to act on some of his major promises, despite a largely opposing Congress. Obamacare is a huge political move. Not an act of promise, not a populist act. It's acting on severe self-conviction and getting an important program done. On the other hand in the UK we had Gordon Brown and David Cameron who make Tony Blair as charismatic as a 1980s action film hero (which is an achievement in and of itself, though not sure either of the two should be overtly proud of that), in Poland the now-President of the European Council at least exerted an atmosphere of calmness, but wasn't a huge personality himself. We need personalities (Bernie Sanders, Jeremy Corbyn), someone who can tune in with the population. And they have to start delivering on promises. People want things to happen. And they want to be listened to. No matter whether they have a shitload of guns at home, drink beer and whatever else. They want to be a voice. And so, through racism, xenophobia, UKIP, Le Penisms... they are GETTING that voice.

Unless we get our shit together, I'm afraid that this IS getting worse.
  11. Can't we just agree as a world that the opinions of racist idiots are not worth tuning into? slant
  12. I think we all agree on that here. But there is a large number of people in this world that just spoke up. And we can't simply ignore it as if nothing happened. It's a warning sign.
  13. A large number of aging, backwards-thinking racists who won't even be around to reap the long-term results of this decision (whereas the younger segment of the population, which overwhelmingly voted remain, will).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    A large number of aging, backwards-thinking racists who won't even be around to reap the long-term results of this decision (whereas the younger segment of the population, which overwhelmingly voted remain, will).

True, that.
  14. Not necessarily. The right-wing movement starts to be strong with the youth. Looking at Poland as an example, I have very good friends in the artistic community (you'd think they'd be liberal, wouldn't you?) who are leaning conservative in their views.

Sure, that's the case of Brexit. But in case of Trump, in case of the Polish ruling party, I think, sadly, it's more of a youth movement than older age. The older people were "iron electorate" and always turned out for our now-ruling party. It's the youth that changed their minds and voted otherwise.

Anti-establishment voting (Trump, Sanders, former rockman Pawel Kukiz in Poland) IS the domain of younger generations.
  15. Well, let's get this Trump thing cleared up.

Number 1: While Trump has the majority of votes (and now the plurality of delegates) of all the candidates (even ones before they dropped out), he still has a low, low number. He's not as popular as people outside the U.S. think. A lot of the polling is damning and behind the scenes we are hearing the Republicans know he's crap and want to dump him at the convention (no, this isn't a radical or aytipical idea -- it's been done before a few times).

Number 2: And it doesn't matter what Trump thinks about this or that, or says about this or that, he always contradicts himself later, in many cases the next day and in one case he did two interviews back-to-back and in the span of five minutes he said one thing and then lied about it in the ext interview.

And finally Number 3: Trump's voters I have noted, are the stupid retards I heard in the news, TV, radio, with previous Presidential candidates: Ron Paul, Obama, George W. Bush a second time, and most of the Libritarian party members like the bat-shit crazy Gary Johnson; Gary isn't just coo coo for Coco Puffs, he's fucking injecting it with needles while smokin' pot. They're cult of personality people: "Obama! Obama! Obama!" no matter what lies are told; "Trump! Trump! Trump!" no matter what lies are told.
    Nothing you say matters; the truth doesn't matter, facts don't matter, they're drones.

Oh ... and:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhNjWoBZck
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  16. Nobody denies these three points (except maybe point three, are they necessarily retards or people who want something done? I mean, I hate him as much as anyone, but let's not ridicule his voters if we are supposed to solve the issues about the world society, let's see why they behave like "stupid retards").

My point, however, is that I believe his rise to popularity is the same kind of stunt that made Frank Underwood (a Netflix series main character) and Deez Nuts (well...) win the early polls. Except that he's a real person, who rolled with that.
  17. Deez Nuts had local voting fame because his name was "Deez Nuts".
  18. I guess, but still this kind of trolling MIGHT just be telling about the general state of not just US, but the world's politics in general.

If you have an idea who Frank Underwood from House of Cards is (NOT having seen the series, I do have that idea, just reading a bit gave me that!), you would reconsider voting for such a person in a real election, too. It's a general problem that I am addressing here.

Same with Brexit. First, there are people who are voicing anguish that their vote actually meant something, because if they knew, they would have voted Remain. And, second, it seems that the second most popular Google search term in the whole UK today was "What Is The EU"?

In other words, people might have thought of that as a poll expressing whether they are happy with the political situation they are living in or not. Voting leave meant, no, we're unhappy. And now they are starting to understand what they really did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nobody denies these three points (except maybe point three, are they necessarily retards or people who want something done? I mean, I hate him as much as anyone, but let's not ridicule his voters if we are supposed to solve the issues about the world society, let's see why they behave like "stupid retards").

Oh yes. Truth for Truth. Sometimes being overly-pc doesn't help seeing things for what they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

Same with Brexit. First, there are people who are voicing anguish that their vote actually meant something, because if they knew, they would have voted Remain. And, second, it seems that the second most popular Google search term in the whole UK today was "What Is The EU"?

Actually, the 2nd most-searched google term today from Uk being "what's the EU"? after they've voted for brexit, proves that many of them are the easily manipulated by populism - illiterate masses i talked about before.
  19. Watch it, people leaning towards populism don't have to necessarily be illiterate. It may have to do with a huge disappointment about the state of political affairs both locally and globally. You're NOT gonna tell me that the populist rise in the 1930s was all done by complete idiots.
  20. The populist rise - at least in Germany - was backed by mostly illiterate WWI veterans who failed to integrate into civil live due to economic crisis. What is often overlooked is that the ideological agenda was forged by far right wing intellectuals who aimed to bring about a conservative revolution. The wind they sew turned into a whirlwind.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  21. Exactly. There was an intellectual ideological agenda that didn't come from some idiots. One of the most important philosophers of the 20th century was more or less a part of it!

Anyway, I think we are looking at a wider problem here and that's what I am trying to make people notice. It's not just a bunch of idiots that stand for the rise of Trump and so on. The economics is to look at as well. We're living, in other words, in a similar time. And what's ALSO similar is that the large organizations like EU or even UN fail to notice the threat at this point. However, maybe Brexit will be a turning point in the discussion.
  22. PawelStroinski:
    I guess, but still this kind of trolling MIGHT just be telling about the general state of not just US, but the world's politics in general.

If you have an idea who Frank Underwood from House of Cards is (NOT having seen the series, I do have that idea, just reading a bit gave me that!), you would reconsider voting for such a person in a real election, too. It's a general problem that I am addressing here.

Well, I think you're seeng a problem where one doesn't really exist, i.e. people voting for Deez Nuts and Frank Underwood. There's always a subset of people, whether in general or in some group or organization, they thinks it's funny to do something contrary or is a low-information voter/follower/general moron and does things because they don't know better*.

Take the Flat Earth Society, for example. It's somewhere over 3,000 members, I recall seeing somewhere about two or three years ago. Yes, no doubt most of thsoe are real people who believe the Earth is flat (they even make youtube videos), but no doubt there is some percentage of a subset of those members who have membership simply because they think it's funny to tell people they are members of the Flat Earth Society. Again, another example, my local county building where you register to vote; there are thousands and thousands of registered voters, various parties, but primarily the Republican and Democrat parties, but people register to vote and take it as a joke and write in their own parties, like "Batman" and "Jedi". No, seriously, I talked to somebody there.

And, second, it seems that the second most popular Google search term in the whole UK today was "What Is The EU"?

Though serach terms come up suggesting that's what people are searchign for in mass, that's not strictly speaking how it works in Google. I have an interview saved somewhere but I don't recall the guy's name, where he talked about it a little. So, if you go to Google right now and type:

how do I get my mom to stop

And it fills in examples like "sleep with me" and "to shower with me", no, there isn't a mass of people tryign to bang their mothers.

* = As for idiots who fall for people like Obama, Trump, Kerry, Biden and so on and so on, no -- I can't give them a pass anywmore. This isn't 1990, it's 2016; information is not only at your fingers tips now, but it's available in quantities as never before. There's no excuse anymore to be a dumbshit who ignores all the facts, refuses to do research and attacks you or gives you a "Yeah, but Trump". Trump is the same lefty he was twenty years ago, but he registers as a Republican and suddenly angrily little Trumpelstiltskins lick it up like honey butter, or as Mr. Burns said in "The Simpsons" (paraphrasing): "free to to wallow in their own crapulence."

My country is going bye-bye fast and I have zero paritence for numbnuts who refuse to do anything but vote to destroy it and eight years later still don't know shit.

As for Germany, a nubmer of factors contributed, but I'll say this: populism will only go so far in a country with good or just milktoast leaders. Hitler was a strongman who came along and preyed on their collective unrest to "just get things done". A lot of poor countries have suffered from a strongman who did or did not admit to what he believed at first.

Watch it, people leaning towards populism don't have to necessarily be illiterate.

For that matter, let me add that a populist movement doesn't even have to come from that many people; just enough populist progressives (of any party) in Congress and especially in the Presidency, can plunge a nation into a dangerous populist democracy that can quickly move toward a hard tyranny.

I won't comment on Brexit, as we obviously don't agree.