• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016
    But it's still a matter of willpower, in a way, which is what I find fascinating. How mental faculties can in any way influence what's going on biologically, or -- in fact -- sometimes trigger biological things (there was no word if Reynolds was sick [beyond her advanced age, obviously]).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I agree, it's a fascinating link between someone's state of mind and their physical wellbeing.

I just wanted to raise the point about differences between actively wanting do die and just giving up living. I think that there are definitely episodes where someone who has given up may actively say they don't want to be around anymore but that may be more a symptom of just giving up on the world.

It seems to me that it's a person with a particular mindset who actively wants life to end - but not in any way being suicidal.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016 edited
    When my Gran died my Grandad who at 89 was in fine health mentally and physically died two weeks later, he just didn't want to go on and just gave up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016
    Vice versa, my grandma (on my father's side) got ill some 5-6 years before her death a few years ago. She constantly said she'd rather 'go home' (as she put it), but it took YEARS before it happened.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. William Christopher, who notably played Father Mulcahy on the "M*A*S*H" TV series, has passed away.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Composer Buddy Bregman has passed away.

Check out the samples to this nice little score that Kritzerland released (paired with another score):
    http://www.kritzerland.com/visitPlanet_delinquent.htm
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. John Hurt (1940-2017)

I had great respect for him. Among his many iconic parts his interpretation of Winston Smith in Michael Radford's 1984 haunts me every time.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2017
    Yes, very sad. Also, Emmanuelle Riva passed away last night. What a bad night. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2017
    What? John Hurt? No!! sad Awful news!
    I just listened to Big Finish' Doctor Who: War Doctor audio drama series where he, obviously, had a starring role.
    It was really good and as I understand it they were gearing up for more. How sad to realise there won't be.
    A voice and acting power that will be greatly missed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Al Jarreau 1940-2017

I'm not a big R&B fan but I always liked his songs.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017 edited
    Wonderful voice. Most will remember him for singing the great theme to Moonlighting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    Wonderful voice. Most will remember him for singing the great theme to Moonlighting.

Yep.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. fuck, Bill Paxton dead sad

Always liked seeing him. He will always be Private Hudson in my book. Though I loved him in Twister as well. Great director too. So sad sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. One of the first roles that popped into my head when I heard the news was Paxton in Predator 2 with his oversized suit.
  9. A belated R.I.P. but damn this has shocked me. He had screen presence and at times was very funny.

Paxton was great in A Simple Plan too, which as a character is the total opposite of his Pvt. Hudson.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    Yes, 90 is a FANTASTIC age...but my heart skipped a little beat realising one of the very last true icons of Rock 'n' Roll has passed on. He wasn't merely a legend, he WAS an actual ICON. As in being the very embodiment and one of the founding fathers of the genre as we know it.

Johnny may have been Goode, but Chuck was the best.
    Thanks man, you have left this world a richer and more colourful place.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017
    For my money, the greatest of the rock n rollers. As influential figure as anyone on popular music. You're right - beyond a legend, an icon.
  10. He was still alive? shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fats Domino and Little Richard still are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So's Jerry Lee Lewis!
  11. I finally got the inside joke from Back to the Future... the scene where Marvin calls his uncle Chuck to make him listen to that new sound he was trying to find. Because I didn't know Johnny B. Goode was a Chuck Berry song. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    I finally got the inside joke from Back to the Future... the scene where Marvin calls his uncle Chuck to make him listen to that new sound he was trying to find. Because I didn't know Johnny B. Goode was a Chuck Berry song. smile

Ow come on, that was soooooo obvious tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. Michael Ballhaus (1935-2017)

The cinematographer who worked with Fassbinder, Scorsese, Coppola among many others died 81 years old. He was a pioneer and a master of his trade.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017
    Oh, shucks! What a brilliant cinematographer, he was!
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I know the name, I saw a few films he has shot, but not sure if he has a style that I liked or I would have remembered certain scenes.
  15. Jonathan Demme (1944-2017)

The director of Silence if the Lambs, Philadelphia, Beloved and noted concert films has died of cancer.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017
    Very sad. I had no idea he was ill. In addition to the famous titles, I have a very soft spot for SOMETHING WILD (1986).
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Damn, but I only know Lambs and Philadelphia which I last saw decades ago.
  17. I studied Toni Morrison when in university. Hence I am familiar with Beloved, novel and film. BTW I love Rachel Portman's score for that film. Quite unorthodox work by her.
  18. Nobody mentioned him but a couple of days ago Michael Parks passed away. I know him from his cool Earl McGraw in Rodriguez and Tarantino flicks.

And now Powers Boothe too. He was beyond awesome in 24.

sad

Link