• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    For those of you who don't recognize the Laughlin name he was Billy Jack in 4 movies.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Who's Billy Jack?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Couldn't stand his films nor his interminable preaching.
    His Billy Jack films are as stupid, violent and simplistic as any 80's Chuck Norris film, though from the opposite political spectrum.

I had no idea he was that old, though. I always pegged him for a "boomer".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Who's Billy Jack?

A vigilante half-Indian, who thinks "relevant" violence is great.
    Laughlin (born a well-off middleclass WASP) loved to present himself as an oppressed minority character in any film, who nevertheless came out on top through the use of ultraviolence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Joan Fontain 1917-2013: 96 years
    And her sister Olivia de Haviland, born 1916, ist still with us.

Great genes.
    And two real great actresses. Real ladies as Rhett Buttler would say.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Couldn't stand his films nor his interminable preaching.
    His Billy Jack films are as stupid, violent and simplistic as any 80's Chuck Norris film, though from the opposite political spectrum.

I had no idea he was that old, though. I always pegged him for a "boomer".

So you're saying I shouldn't light a candle this Sunday at church for him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013 edited
    Well, he did have a bit part in Hell Bent for Glory together with Clint Eastwood, so I guess that even for a Marxist-Trotskite red collaborating liberal sinner like him a small place may be warmed in the Kingdom of Heaven through the glory and love of our Redeemer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    His wife had a hand in the writing and production of the films. Her name was Delores Taylor. Laughlin also did a film called "Master Gunfighter." If I remember right Lalo did the music.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    No, it's John Sessions, actually.

Initially I thought it might be Chris Barrie (of Red Dwarf fame), when I found -through the Red Dwarf audiobooks- that he is an amazing impersonator and read later that he was part of the Spitting Image team!
    Well, it wasn't Chris, but rather bafflingly that actual sketch was written by Grant Naylor and Rob Grant...who of course wrote Red Dwarf. dizzy

Ah yes, I should have though either Sessions or Barrie. There was quite a roster of famous names who cut their teeth on Spittin Image.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013 edited
    A good reason to like Steve Coogan, he's a JOHN BARRY & ENNIO MORRICONE fan cool

EDIT:-

oops! Not often I go OT in the RIP thread. Sorry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry to hear about Joan Fontain, a very good innings though.

As for Laughlin? I know almost nothing. I've never seen a Billy Jack film though I was aware of the character and the fact Elmer Bernstein scored one of the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Laughlin wasn't a major player in Hollywood. For a time he was a cult figure.

Joan Fontaine whose sister was Olivia DeHaviland (Scarlett in Gone With The Wind) were box office hits.

Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wonder if Joan and Olivia made up before the former passed. I doubt it. The chasm between them was really deep. I'd like to know what's going through Olivia's head now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It was certainly a case of fierce competition. There is a book about it that I've never read.
    Tom
  2. sdtom wrote
    Joan Fontaine whose sister was Olivia DeHaviland (Scarlett in Gone With The Wind) were box office hits.

Olivia de Havilland played Melanie. Vivien Leigh played Scarlett. Both beautiful actresses in their prime, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013 edited
    I see Mr Kalashnikov has died at 94 years of age. What a wonderful legacy he leaves behind.
  3. Just as

Smith
    Wesson
    Heckler
    Koch
    Colt
    Walter
    Browning
    Luger
    Beretta
    skull
  4. Actor James Avery has passed away.

Some of you might know him as Uncle Phil from the popular comedy series "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Loved him on that show.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
    This will probably not mean much to most people under a certain age here...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new … ed-67.html

Saddened me wickedly sad
  6. Yeah Tim, I was saddened to hear that news. One of the "pin-up" women for me growing up. I was interested to see a more recent photo of her in the Digital Spy piece: I'd only ever seen her as she was in the sixties/seventies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Sad news indeed Tim ... sad
    The Champions is one of my favourite ITC series and I bought the box set not that long ago .
    I've been watching an episode now and then ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited
    The Champions was my favourite show when I was a child. The only other thing I can remember her in was a Morecombe & Wise film.

EDIT:- just googled, it was THAT RIVIERA TOUCH ( really fine score by Ron Goodwin too, sadly never released or rerecorded in any form )
  7. I never heard of that series, I'm afraid. I appears It never aired on German TV.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Alexandra also appeared in an episode of The Saint if I remember correctly Tim and also in The Starlost a S.F. series from back in the seventies , though I can't remember much of it . Only seen this once when I was a youngster ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Damn! My favourite character from Only Fools and Horses has departed.

Roger Lloyd Pack aka 'Trigger'
  8. Russell Johnson is dead. Best known as the Professor on "Gilligan's Island"

He'll be buried in a coffin made of coconuts. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Claudio Abbado (1933-2014)

Maestro Abbado was one of my favourite conducters. I loved his work with the Berlin Philharmonics. I adored his interpretations of Mozart and Mahler.
    A gentle, humorous man. I great mediator between the orchestra and the audience and an advocate of the composer.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014
    Sad to hear that. I have a number of his recordings, also, a long time ago now, I saw him at least twice conducting the LSO, I remember one of the performances was Ravel's Daphnes Et Chloe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014 edited
    Composer Riz Ortolani passed away today.

From FSM
    Riz Ortolani passed away today. He was 87. He wrote scores for more than 100 films, including some great classics like Dino Risi's Il sorpasso and Franco Zeffirelli's Fratello sole, sorella luna. In 1964 he won the Grammy Award for the song "More", written for the film Mondo cane. The song was also nominated for an Academy Award the same year.

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/mus … f=HREC1-11

I met him in Ghent last year and while I didn't knew much music about him, most of it was all quite good and some very catchy. He got a long applause in Ghent. He must be a legend for some (I know he is for some members here).

RIP.
    Kazoo