• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Actor John Mahoney has passed away. He was 71.

Best known as Martin Crane on "Frasier".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018
    I loved Frasier. John Mahoney was great in it. (They all were, really.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sad news. 77 is too young these days. Big FRASIER fan.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    “My brother is too kind. He was already eminent when my eminence was merely imminent.” God, Frasier was special. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything else like it (from America). I know it dipped a lot after a few years, but it was so smart at its peak.
  2. Anne got the boxed set of all 11 seasons of FRASIER for Christmas and we have been working our way through them. Twenty-two discs of excellence!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. We love Fraiser as well. We watch a handful of episodes every week. It’s one of the smartest shows I’ve ever seen. Brilliantly written and acted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2018
    Stephen Hawking passed away at 76.

Hearing the news, I couldn't help but think about the gorgeous music written for his biography by Johan Johannson... another late genius.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No idea who that is, James, sorry. But Isao Takahata passed away today too. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    0-2 for me on these two people.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018 edited
    Have you never seen GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (1988), Tom? One of the most iconic animé films. A masterpiece. Check it out if you can. He also frequently worked with Hayao Miyazaki.

ONLY YESTERDAY is brilliant too. The recent THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGYUA, I wasn't THAT impressed with, overall, but still a damn fine movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    Eric Bristow! Goodness me.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago when somebody had 'rented' him out to play darts for the night at a birthday party we were hosting at my old bar.
  4. Miloš Forman 1932-2018

I'm not familiar with too much of his work, but what I know is superb.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018
    Yeah, great loss. I've seen most of his US movies, but I've always wanted to explore his earlier, Czech work. Now's a good an opportunity as any.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018
    Go for it Thor. No excuses
  5. Verne Troyer, "Mini Me" from the Austin Powers films, dead at 49.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Composer Søren Hyldgaard, R.I.P.

He was 55.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018
    Yes, it's a real shame. He's one of the few Nordic composers I never got to meet, for various reasons, but I've always enjoyed his work. One of the great ones of his generation, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) dead at 69.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2018 edited
    R.I.P. Philip Roth
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have to admit -- had to google that name. Not familiar with any of his work either. But I see that he was quite a figure in American literature.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Oh, I was quite familiar with his name. But I'm afraid, "The Plot Against America" is the only novel of his I ever read. While it's not bad, it doesn't seem to be one of his quintessential works. Maybe James or Aidabaida could provide us with reading suggestions?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess Portnoy’s Complaint is the quintessential Roth. American Pastoral is the one I would grab first if the house was burning down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I guess Portnoy’s Complaint is the quintessential Roth. American Pastoral is the one I would grab first if the house was burning down.

Before your family?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess wife and daughter first but beyond that, sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Have to admit -- had to google that name. Not familiar with any of his work either. But I see that he was quite a figure in American literature.

yeah he was thought of as one of those few "serious" authors that still maintained a degree of popularity. his novel, "The Ghost Writer" is short and fascinating, if you're interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He wrote THE GHOST WRITER? I really like the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    He wrote THE GHOST WRITER? I really like the film.

no relation to the polanski movie. :-)