• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. On the basis of output alone Albert Glasser should have received his own topic ages ago: he composed hundreds of scores for film and TV over the years. But his relative obsurity is down, I suppose, to most of these titles being B-movies and TV. The fact that very little - if any - of his music is available on CD is another reason for his obscurity.

I'm just listening at the moment to Glasser's score for the late-1950s sci-fi mutant B-movie Earth vs The Spider. Released on the Kritzerland label it's very much your typical B-movie sci-fi score right down to the use of the theremin.

A great little title that I'm hoping is the first of many CD releases from this under-appreciated composer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    I suppose that he does but I fear there will be little interest
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Kritzerland seem to be on a bit of a Glasser roll at the moment with the release of the junior swashbuckler,The Boy and The Pirates.

Clips suggest a nice little score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Hmmmm...not too keen on this.
    It sounds a bit like a cheap Rozsa/Newman knock-off with lots of storm and fury, but seriously lacking the lyricism of the great Golden Agers.

And I'm NOT getting Earth vs. The Spider (although it sounds like a lot of fun, more so than The Boy And The Pirates, actually!)). That cover...freezing
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I can see what you mean, Martijn. Maybe my opinion's governed by my familiarity with The Boy and The Pirates?: there's a 17-minute suite from this on an old Starlog LP - "The Fantastic Film Music of Albert Glasser" - that Tom sent me ages ago.

Compared to that, this new Krtizerland release sounds way better.

For me, there is a definite similarity to the great Golden Agers but maybe I'm a bit more inclined to accept the situation Glasser found himself in at the time? Investment at the time (film and score), needs of the director and (maybe) even talent of composer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    Albert Glasser....even the NAME is oldfashioned. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Yup Thor
    listen to more classical music!