• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. German composer who wrote scores for such successful films as Das Boot and The Never Ending Story. Although, he's really only scored German films, to us, he is also a longtime jazz artist.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    Das Boot is a fine score, and I love that theme ( probably one of the worlds most sampled tracks ).

I have the Doldinger score only of Never Ending Story, again a great listen. I don't really know much beyond these two and a little of his jazz work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The theme for Das Boot is great (but I can't really say I like the rest of that score from what I've heard of it.)

The themes from the TV series Nonni und Manni are very listenable - if I'm in the right mood!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    Much of the stuff he did with Passport from the late 60's and onwards was pretty interesting (even though I'm no big jazz fan, there was something about their stuff that intrigues me). And of course, his film and TV music is extremely memorable. By the way, he just got a Lifetime Achievement Award from (one of) the German film and TV awards earlier this year. See footage here (from 1:30 onwards):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wz2hO8cfhg
    I am extremely serious.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The theme for Das Boot is great (but I can't really say I like the rest of that score from what I've heard of it.)

The themes from the TV series Nonni und Manni are very listenable - if I'm in the right mood!

Das Boot really was a precursor for how electronics would be used in submarine movies such as The Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide (indirectly). The theme is definitely memorable and great, however, the overwhelming repetition and lack of variation of the title theme can get on the nerves in the ocean scenes in the longest version (TV miniseries).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2018
  4. Das Boot is one of the greatest electronic scores ever.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2019
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2019 edited
    Joep wrote
    Matthias Weber - Das Boot
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/das-boot-series-2018/

Just started watching the show (it's on Norwegian television); pretty good. Unlike you, I love how they use Doldinger's theme -- not only over the credits, but also in the episodes proper.

A comment: I think you mean "by ALL means" when you say "Matthias Weber is, by no means, a good composer...". The latter means that he's not a good composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2019
    You're right, thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    Doldinger is an old-school favourite of mine. Does anyone know if he's done any noteworthy score things recently (he's 85, so I doubt it)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2021
    Das doppelte Lottchen from 2017. I also like Seven Seasons Faszination Natur (2004); his last score release to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2021
    Late answer, but better than never, Joep! Thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2021
    WHEN THE CROW RINGS THE BELL YOU MUST INSPECT EVERYONE’s pants not just your own even if you think the people are coming down from above
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I WILL NOT BE CHALLENGED ON THIS MATTER. IT IS SPOKEN.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall