• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Well, whether we like it or not, football is more than a bunch of guys kicking a ball. I heard the other day in the news that a good performance by the spanish team might cheer up a little the people suffering the huge crysis we are in (in Spain I mean).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Ours is bigger.

(the crisis that is)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    Mexico - 2

France - 0

biggrin cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Opinions on this year's world cup song, "Waving Flag" by K'naan? I really like it! It's catchy. And it has taiko drums. :D

And it's music video is quite uplifting. Have a looksee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Mexico - 2

France - 0

biggrin cool punk

France were awful. I can't believe Raymond Domenech is still their manager - apparently he is now France's longest-serving manager - ever! They're even worse now than they were two years ago in Euro 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely.
    Hate.
    Fucking.
    Vuvuzelas.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Absolutely.
    Hate.
    Fucking.
    Vuvuzelas.

Just wait, the vuvuzelas will be the new "ethnic sound" in film scores to replace the duduk.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Absolutely.
    Hate.
    Fucking.
    Vuvuzelas.

I haven't watched a single match of this world cup but just watching a summary of the Switzerland - Spain was more than enough to realise these things are disgusting!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. For me, it's all part and parcel of the whole 2010 World Cup experience. As well as reflecting the crowd's enthusiasm for the game it's also a specific reflection of South African culture towards football. And as such, any removal of the vuvuzelas would be a slap for local culture.

What's much more annoying - for example - is watching England games (no, there's more) and constantly hearing snippets of Elmer Bernstein's theme for The Great Escape being played by the travelling brass band that seems to accompany the team everywhere.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What's wrong with the brass band playing The Great Escape? I love it!

Much though I hate the sound of the vuvuzelas on the commentary, I agree with you that they're part of the local enthusiasm and experience. Banning them would be like someone from FIFA turning up at Anfield and saying "I don't much like that You'll Never Walk Alone song" and it being banned.
  3. It's a great theme - obviously. But to play the same snippet over and over and over again! Grrrr!

Maybe it's also another example of my (usual) dislike of re-recordings!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Y-e-e-e-e-s-s-s.
    I think ripping out living hearts was part of the Incan enthusiasm and experience, yet I've never particularly warmed to that either.

I swear that those tens of thousands of noise blasters are an extremely poinant reason for the immediate re-instating of fullblown colonialism. At least then we 'd just have a small brass band doing Bernstein snippets now and again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's no cultural shit in there. It's just continuous, without breath, annoying buzz.
  4. Martijn wrote
    I swear that those tens of thousands of noise blasters are an extremely poinant reason for the immediate re-instating of fullblown colonialism. At least then we 'd just have a small brass band doing Bernstein snippets now and again.

I'm not going to bite...I'm not going to bite...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. (What follows will mean nothing to anyone who doesn't watch BBC's coverage of the football.)

Never mind about getting rid of the vuvuzelas, but someone get rid of Mick McCarthy from the commentator's box. I've never heard anyone who contributes football commentary wisdom less than this bloke. Listening to some of the comments he's making in the Germany v Serbia match...where's my vuvuzela?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (What follows will mean nothing to anyone who doesn't watch BBC's coverage of the football.)

Never mind about getting rid of the vuvuzelas, but someone get rid of Mick McCarthy from the commentator's box. I've never heard anyone who contributes football commentary wisdom less than this bloke. Listening to some of the comments he's making in the Germany v Serbia match...where's my vuvuzela?

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Absolutely.
    Hate.
    Fucking.
    Vuvuzelas.

Just wait, the vuvuzelas will be the new "ethnic sound" in film scores to replace the duduk.

FACT! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010 edited
    I dislike vuvuzelas too, it's like a swamp of bees in your ear, but to be honest I can live with them if they stop the hideous things shouted by fans in Greek courts, I guess swearing is the case in most countries.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. I went to Cape Town on Google Maps for a look around at street level and I notice that, the little man that's in the box at the lower right hand corner of the screen (the box that gives you an overview of where you are) is holding a vuvuzela!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's no cultural shit in there. It's just continuous, without breath, annoying buzz.

I want one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    I literally fell asleep during the England-Algerie match. Why do I always pick the boring ones?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So now that's England, France, Germany and Spain who have all been very disappointing in at least one match (and Italy weren't great in theirs). The European teams are not doing well. Mind you, Brazil were hardly great against North Korea (though at least they won). This has not been a particularly impressive World Cup so far. I've only really enjoyed two matches (Germany vs Australia because of Germany's wonderful attacking football and France vs Mexico because, well, it was fun seeing the French get stuffed).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can say that the US got screwed. That was a goal angry
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    So now that's England, France, Germany and Spain who have all been very disappointing in at least one match (and Italy weren't great in theirs). The European teams are not doing well. Mind you, Brazil were hardly great against North Korea (though at least they won). This has not been a particularly impressive World Cup so far. I've only really enjoyed two matches (Germany vs Australia because of Germany's wonderful attacking football and France vs Mexico because, well, it was fun seeing the French get stuffed).

Agree!

...and lets be honest, England are playing shite!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://www.petitiononline.com/wc2010/petition.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Well, whether we like it or not, football is more than a bunch of guys kicking a ball. I heard the other day in the news that a good performance by the spanish team might cheer up a little the people suffering the huge crysis we are in (in Spain I mean).

Same can be said for everything; cinema for instance, is a bunch of guys and gals doing fake crap in front of machines that capture and manipulate the light. Some others are accompanying that by moving bows on strings and making sounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010
    Vuvuzelas for the win!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    Go New Zealand biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    Now it's your chance.

http://i.ppstatic.com/popup/worldcup/vuvu/