• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    But if you're going to compact US in a brand that makes overly expensive computer equipment, starbucks and McDonald's then who am i to argue? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Hollywood makes movies for the US market not Europe.

shocked

Very US-centric comment!

Yeah, Hollywood makes movies for Americans but by using European and worldwide history, heritage, religion

Everytime I remember how they used history, heritage and religion in Mission Impossible 2 I start bleeding.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

shocked

Very US-centric comment!

Yeah, Hollywood makes movies for Americans but by using European and worldwide history, heritage, religion

Everytime I remember how they used history, heritage and religion in Mission Impossible 2 I start bleeding.

Remind me?

Actually, NO! don't!! My poor psyche couldn't handle it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote

Tom,
    You might find this link and the pdfs therein interesting.
    http://www.obs.coe.int/oea_publ/market/focus.html

Worldwide box office grosses are almost as important as the US market.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

shocked

Very US-centric comment!

Remind me?

Actually, NO! don't!! My poor psyche couldn't handle it.

Something regarding 'burning saints'. vomit
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I picked a poor example with Hollywood but Apple is not a bad example but a good one. The top selling vehicle in the us is a ford pickup, ranger, 150, and 250. Do you think that Ford cares about what Europe thinks as far as this vehicle is concerned? My point is there are a lot of things made for Americans with 0 concern about what Europe has to say, good and bad. I really don't think I'm off base on this one at all. All countries including Canada, England, Greece, and others make products for their people only. Am I wrong on this? I think not.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Now it's better smile You're right on this one, every nation also makes stuff and sells stuff and entertainment which is primarily intended for consumption insider their borders; it's natural. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although Apple isn't at all American these days; The cars you mention, are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

Maybe, but most of times international box office saves a movie form being a total flop.

Yet interestingly, historically that has never saved a franchise.
    Even if a franchise does well abroad, if the domestic (i.e. US) market pans out, it's down the drain for any further considerations.

Whether we like it or not, Tom is right.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure there have been some exceptions....I just can't think of any?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

What, that Hollywood makes primarily films for Hollywood and us market? Mate, as you are familiar with the history of Hollywood i am sure, it began and had risen to power by producers who searched and bought cheap land and equipment and had the term of 'studio' as we know it today, making money and working 24 hours a day non-stop, all gathered in the same place. They succeeded initially via making cheap (cheaper than east coast at the time) b-movies for consumption in the western us and europe. All the early Hollywood stars, actors and directors, came celebrated and arisen from within the E.U where most of them preceeded into extending their careers further than the limits of the US.

Hollywood utilizes everything i wrote above which is primarily european / world heritage. Not to mention actors, more of them, even stars, aren't genuine americans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I doubt it very much.
    Golden Compass did unexpectedly well in Europe, yet the sequels were aborted in light of the very poor US performance.
    James Bond is on hiatus due to numbers in the US dropping to an all-time low for the franchise 9even though Bond is still pretty big elsewhere).

That's just off the top of my head.
    I'd be hard-presssed to come up with one US produced film that saved a studio or a franchise by doing well abroad and poorly domestically!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

What, that Hollywood makes primarily films for Hollywood and us market? Mate, as you are familiar with the history of Hollywood i am sure, it began and had risen to power by producers who searched and bought cheap land and equipment and had the term of 'studio' as we know it today, making money and working 24 hours a day non-stop, all gathered in the same place. They succeeded initially via making cheap (cheaper than east coast at the time) b-movies for consumption in the western us and europe. All the early Hollywood stars, actors and directors, came celebrated and arisen from within the E.U where most of them preceeded into extending their careers further than the limits of the US.

But that's history, D.
    You're talking about the twenties of last century!
    That's simply not relevant any more.

Hollywood utilizes everything i wrote above which is primarily european / world heritage. Not to mention actors, more of them, even stars, aren't genuine americans.

I'm sure you'd be able to trace many aspects of US film (and indeed the lineage of 99.9% of the people connected to the film industry smile ) to a European/continental origin. But that's how the USA sociologically and histprically came to be, and that has little to do with the current marketing of US produced films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cinema is officially considered as art and as such, it's world heritage; as such, it also uses world heritage; it can't be contained in the limits of any country.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But the Hollywood marketing/production system certainly is US-centric, which I thought was the point Tom was making? confused

Cinema per se of course isn't US-centric at all.
    The US is "just" the best known and most prolific supplier in/for the West, with the best (controled) infrastructure to handle it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you look at it market-wise, then you have a point although we don't have the full exact numbers in front of us; but something tells me Tom took it a bit more patriotizing than that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This was just a bad example. Blame it on my stroke brain
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I doubt it very much.
    Golden Compass did unexpectedly well in Europe, yet the sequels were aborted in light of the very poor US performance.
    James Bond is on hiatus due to numbers in the US dropping to an all-time low for the franchise 9even though Bond is still pretty big elsewhere).

That's just off the top of my head.
    I'd be hard-presssed to come up with one US produced film that saved a studio or a franchise by doing well abroad and poorly domestically!

Indeed, I've wracked my brain ( what's left of it ) and can come up with NOTHING.

Maybe I'm thinking of TV series?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    This was just a bad example. Blame it on my stroke brain

No worries dear friend, just debating here smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not upset in the least
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Maybe I'm thinking of TV series?

Hmmmm..it's the same though, isn't it?
    Was any US TV series ever extended because of good viewing numbers in Europe against bad ones in the US?
    Crikey, most (poor performance) shows even get canceled before they reach domestic syndication, leave alone reach Europe. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One possible exception did just cross my mind: it sometimes appears to me that many of HBO's series may ...well, maybe not Europe-centric, but very much geared towards the foreign market rather than the domestic ones?
    Rome, Deadwood, Spartacus... these all seem much more in line with European sentiments and taste than current commercial US ones?

(That said, they'll still pull the plug when the show won't fly domestically: Deadwood and Carnivále being two lamented examples. slant )
  1. As far as I know Rome got cancelled, because the story arc was over and it didn't make sense to make another seasons?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And because the music was crap :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As far as I know Rome got cancelled, because the story arc was over and it didn't make sense to make another seasons?

Your point being? confused

Christodoulides wrote
    And because the music was crap :P

Bollocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    Over the top D confused I don't think a TV show ever got cancelled because of the music
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Over the top D confused I don't think a TV show ever got cancelled because of the music

D didn't mean anything more than that he didn't like the music, personally I thought it was good, more in keeping to what the music was like, no sympony orchesdrtas ala Rozsa, a bit more intimate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010
    I noticed, Brazil's goalkeeper looks quite like Giacchino. tongue

Great match, good performance by both teams (including a lot of fouls), but Netherlands prevailed thanks to their uber strong defense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010
    Well done to Netherlands who put the clog into Brazil, I really hope you go on to win punk