• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    I'm just curious?

I don't think there are too many "MUST HAVE" scores left for me since the releases of the expanded John Barry, James Bond scores, Elmer Bernstein's Saturn 3 & Heavy Metal, Horner's Trek II & III being the most recent, and of course many more besides.

There are a lot of scores I'd love to see expanded or re-recorded ( CONAN THE BARBARIAN tops this list with ease ), but for the moment I just want to keep to those "must have" scores that have never had a release on CD.

Jerry Goldsmith - THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER

I've wanted this ever since I first saw the film.

John Barry - THE BLACK HOLE

Expanded....of course.

Thomas Newman - DECEIVED

Great score, never released in any form.

Bruce Smeaton - THE SILENT FLUTE

Quite a few vatriations on a theme but what a theme it is.

Nelson Riddle - BATMAN

All the 60's Batman TV scores, friggin brilliant!

There's more but lets hear yours?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Man alive! That's quite a long list you are asking, but if I had to narrow my Grail List down to absolutes, then (this list skips Trek scoring ,since I think we'll get a LOT of that in the next two years, and "The X-Files" since LLLR is taking care of that):

"Conan complete" (Basil Poledouris)

"The Ten Commandments" (complete, remastered -- of course; Elmer Bernstein)

"Gladiator (rejected" (Jerry Goldsmith)

"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (David Newman)

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (Thomas Wanker's efforts)

"DUEL" (Billy Goldenberg)

"Magnum p.i." (Mike Post & Pete Carpenter and Ian Freebairn-Smith and Velton Ray Bunch and Ron Jones' additional work)

"Gunsmoke" (episode scores; multiple composers, though there are specific efforts wanted: TVScores.150m.com/Gunsmoke.html
    or backup website:
    http://www.tvscoring.150m.com/Gunsmoke.html)

"Jake Speed (unreleased cues)" (Mark Snow; was happy BuySoundtrax got it out, was sad it ws the same contents as the Varese LP)

"Samurai Jack" (James L. Venable and Paul Dinletir)

"Ducktales" (Ron Jones)

"Coming To America" (Nile Rodgers)
    "Beverly Hills Cop III" (Nile Rodgers)

Joe Kidd" (Lalo Schifrin)
    Dr. Detriot" (Lalo Schifrin)

I'm sure I am gorgetting a number of things.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Nile Rogers Coming To America, I would definitely go for that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'll have to think here, but definitely I have a few of those.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    The Lion King - Hans Zimmer (a proper complete score release)

DuckTales
    (TV Series) - Ron Jones

That's all, really.
  3. I don't really have any that come to mind immediately. It's more a case that, if something comes along, then I'll go "Yes! I'll have that!"

Maybe a decent release of The Persuaders (Network DVD?), re-recordings of Conan The Barbarian, One Million Years BC, maybe a proper release of Shore's Seven (with some great liner notes?), Goldenberg's Duel (based on a suite from a Silva(?) re-recording)...a lot of TV music is now coming to mind that I'd like to see:

Hawaii Five-0
    Starsky and Hutch
    Ironside
    Kojak

...a lot of stuff from my childhood that I'd like to hear again to see if they are actually worth having on CD!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mmmmmm... to me "expandeds", "completes" and "rerecordings" per se aren't Holy Grails.
    They're more like Supersized Cokes: the initial stuff you got is OK, but you just want more.

Sure, I'd like to see a rerecorded Conan The Barbarian (in fact, it'd be my number one choice for rerecording candidate if anyone'd ask me. Which seldomly anyone does. Hence I suffer in silence.)
    But it's not a Holy Grail.
    Nor is a release of every single not Williams ever wrote for Phantom Menace, including alternate and separate takes (seriously: in the wake of the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition I have heard someone describe this as his Holy Grail.
    That's not holy! That's gluttony! shocked ).

And that's the thing: where to draw the line?
    To me anyway, Holy Grails consists of material that simply is not available.

In that vein, I would dearly love to see a release of Colin Towns' dark and brooding work on the 1997 BBC series Ivanhoe, which I really, really liked (I wrote him about it once, and he kindly replied saying that sorry, it was not ever released to the public sad ).
    I'd also love to see a proper release for Lalo Schifrin's lovely work on the 2004 version of The Bridge Of San Luis Rey, which features the loveliest South-American/Peruvian sounds. Sadly the score seems tied up in legal limbo and according to sources will never see the light of day.

(I'm cheating against my own rules here a little bit, as there is a suite of about 8 minutes available through ways...shall we say, not of the Jedi)

A TV theme I have been looking for for ages and would love to see released is the Talbot/May theme to the 1983 series Skorpion. Can't remember a damn thing about the series (spy stuff and soviets, I think), but the dulcimer-centered theme always stuck with me (pretty frigging nasty main title sequence though, with a tarantula climbing a machine gun. Yuck.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who came up with this
    holy grail
    tag-line for these expanded releases in the first place?

He was very inspired.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol applause beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who came up with this
    holy grail
    tag-line for these expanded releases in the first place?

He was very inspired.

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ivanhoe, Martijn? I vaguely recall the music being very good!? Like you I also once e-mailed Colin Towns, it was about music he wrote for a documentary on Blue Bird ( an ill fated quest on the world speed record on water ), also like you, he was kind enough to reply but I had no more luck than you, there really isn't much of Towns music available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Mmmmmm... to me "expandeds", "completes" and "rerecordings" per se aren't Holy Grails.
    They're more like Supersized Cokes: the initial stuff you got is OK, but you just want more.

Sure, I'd like to see a rerecorded Conan The Barbarian (in fact, it'd be my number one choice for rerecording candidate if anyone'd ask me. Which seldomly anyone does. Hence I suffer in silence.)
    But it's not a Holy Grail.
    Nor is a release of every single not Williams ever wrote for Phantom Menace, including alternate and separate takes (seriously: in the wake of the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition I have heard someone describe this as his Holy Grail.
    That's not holy! That's gluttony! shocked ).

A Holy Grail, for me, is just something I really really want: The Phantom Menace in its expanded, non-edited form is something I really really want. So I guess it's a Holy Grail.

Here are some others:

Paycheck (complete) John Powell - I still think this is one of Powell's greatest achievments, up there with Chicken Run, the Bourne scores and X-Men.

Batman & Robin Elliot Goldenthal - I just want it.

Most of my Holy Grails have been released in recent years; Star Trek II, Godzilla, ID4, Back To The Future, Temple of Doom exp., Last Crusade exp (and some others I'm probably forgetting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    A Holy Grail, for me, is just something I really really want

No, a zigga-zig ah is what you really, really want.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tell me what you want, what you really really want...

coat --->
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    A Holy Grail, for me, is just something I really really want

No, a zigga-zig ah is what you really, really want.

Come closer so I can strike you....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't say holy grail and mean cd's. It's stupid. Shut up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly, say Holy Grail and mean the cup of a carpenter!
    That makes a lot more sense!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :indy:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik you're not. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    :indy:

FAIL
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shut up. You can't scare me with your pretentious toughness man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm
  4. Well, for now:

Hans Zimmer - Black Rain - expanded (NOT COMPLETE) remastered edition - one of the most important scores of the decade turn released in a rather bad form

James Horner - In Country - I know the beautiful bootleg, deserves remastering and official release

Theodore Shapiro - The Prince of Central Park - two beautiful themes there, I'd love to hear it out of the movie.

I know what Ravi could write and I would agree here, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Unreleased film score?
    MY holy grail?
    Do you really want me to clarify it?

wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. Just for the fun of it, write it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just for the fun of it, don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Too late, I already did. devil wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    bunny

ok seriously...

The Lion King by Hans Zimmer
    - ahem.

Fly Away Home by Mark Isham
    - None is released officially, and even the promo lacks lots of nice cues...

White Fang by Basil Poledouris
    - I used to hum the theme as a kid even I forgot which movie it was from!

A League Of Their Own by Hans Zimmer
    - It's so much fun, and also Life Goes On theme is one of my favorite melodies from him.

That's all what came in my mind so far.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck it, I hope The L*** K*** gets released too.... just so that it never ever EVER EVER gets mentioned again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (Except you know it will immediately become Jordi's favourite ever, and he will not stop going on about it. biggrin )