• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Now that Goonies is finally out, my expanded Holy Grail remains:

Willow: Complete (James Horner)

And my top unreleased Holy Grail is something that barely lasts 12 minutes, yet probably the best 12 minutes of pirate music I've ever heard:

The Crimson Permanent Assurance, from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (John DuPrez)
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Funny you mention Monty Python, as I've always loved the orchestral music from 'The Holy Grail', which is full of memorable fanfares. Whenever I see the film I go look everywhere on the net for SFX-free versions of the music. So a release would be most welcome. And it's strange but even IMDB has no composer listed for this film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Funny you mention Monty Python, as I've always loved the orchestral music from 'The Holy Grail', which is full of memorable fanfares. Whenever I see the film I go look everywhere on the net for SFX-free versions of the music. So a release would be most welcome. And it's strange but even IMDB has no composer listed for this film.

You LIKE The Holy Grail?

There's hope for you yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    IMDB doens't mention Holy Grail's composer?? That's strange.

Neil Innes is the composer. Frequent Monty Python musical collaborator. He's also the servant who gets crushed by the giant wooden rabbit. And I think he's the main singer of Robin's minstrels.

I would LOVE a Holy Grail soundtrack release. Or Life of Brian for that matter. Only problem with these comedy cult titles is that consumers out there would naturally expect comedy to be on the CDs themselves. It'd be such a let down for them to hear nothing but "artsy-fartsy instrumental crap." That's why these soundtracks shouldn't be released to the consumer at large, but be private limited editions instead, or bootlegs by Score Ideal Group.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Interesting to read through this list and see how many "Holy Grails" mentioned can now be ticked off peoples' lists.

I'd still like to hear Leonard Rosenman's Dies Irae-based score for the 1977 Jaws remake, The Car.

http://youtu.be/RWl5fJyd150
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Still have to say what I always say in these threads: Anything unreleased by Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal. The latter two have quite a few unreleased items, but Williams -- in particular -- has a MYRIAD of unreleased stuff. Especially if you include his TV scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Interesting to read through this list and see how many "Holy Grails" mentioned can now be ticked off peoples' lists.

I'd still like to hear Leonard Rosenman's Dies Irae-based score for the 1977 Jaws remake, The Car.

http://youtu.be/RWl5fJyd150

I'd love to have a soundtrack album for THE CAR, too.
    But that also goes for most any unreleased Rosenman music, of which there's over a hundred titles!

A Rosenman wish-list:
    -) Pork Chop Hill
    -) Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond
    -) The Savage Eye
    -) "The Last Judgment" episode of HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL
    -) Hell Is For Heroes
    -) Convicts 4
    -) Countdown
    -) The Todd Killings
    -) The Cat Creature
    -) Race With The Devil
    -) Mary White
    -) An Enemy Of The People (1977)
    -) City In Fear

etc., etc.
  3. If I were still a member of the Film Music Society I would certainly have picked up their most recent CD release: "Alexander The Great and Other Rare Rosenman"

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/merchan … enman.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Hugo Friedhofer's Best Years of Our Lives
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    No one has mentioned Equilibrium by Klaus Badelt?

Wow I am surprised :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Caliburn wrote
    No one has mentioned Equilibrium by Klaus Badelt?

Wow I am surprised :-)

Good movie. My top 'grail' at the moment is Salem's Lot by Harry Sukman followed by Goldsmith's Reincarnation of Peter Proud. There are also lots released LP scores that need CD versions (Razorback, Cat's Eye, The Power, ...).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a boot of Peter Proud....the sound is awful and I haven't played it for decades. Salems Lot is a good score, I'd welcome a release of that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Timmer wrote
    I have a boot of Peter Proud....the sound is awful and I haven't played it for decades. Salems Lot is a good score, I'd welcome a release of that.

Both Peter Proud as Salem's Lot have bad sounding bootlegs... I hope the labels can find some decent sources for them.
  4. The Sign of Four (1983) - Harry Rabinowitz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgpLr5U0Cho

I lover that theme!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2021 edited
    John Williams' STORY OF A WOMAN remains my number 1 holy grail, but would you believe that a Blu-ray of the film was announced TODAY!? That's a start.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28761

For years and years, I searched for this film. I contacted Universal, NBC, the director's son and grandson. I even considered contacting Bibbi Andersson, but then heard she suffered from dementia at the time, so I abandoned that. Then, some 7-8 years ago, it suddenly appeared on YouTube. Without the prologue, and in bad quality, but still. I quickly downloaded it before it was taken down, and that's the only version I've had of the film. Untill now.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. The Mighty Ducks trilogy, and a full score of Cool Runnings and A League of Their Own.
    Those quickly come into mind.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Not sure if it's necessarily a "holy grail" but I've always wanted to hear the full score of Thomas Newman's Phenomenon. The single track at the end of the album is such a tease, and leaves me wanting more...much more!

I'm surprised A League of Their Own hasn't gotten a full score release. The movie being on so many film lists and its classic status plus a world famous composer, just why not?
  7. Not a movie, but I'm regularly revisiting an old documentary I loved just to be able to listen to its full score:

Barnaby Taylor - Wild Europe

Sadly, this is all that's available:
    Track 1
    Track 2
    Track 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2021
    I haven't heard WILD EUROPE, but his WILD ARABIA is excellent.
    I am extremely serious.