• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    This thread is created just in case you seek and value people's advice on here when it comes to women (or your significant other be it male or female).

First question, when she asks you to bring a movie and says she can watch almost anything, do you pick a movie that you enjoy or try and pick a movie that she might enjoy more than your first choice?

Right now, my choice is The French Connection or The Usual Suspects.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    KevinSmith wrote
    This thread is created just in case you seek and value people's advice on here when it comes to women (or your significant other be it male or female).

First question, when she asks you to bring a movie and says she can watch almost anything, do you pick a movie that you enjoy or try and pick a movie that she might enjoy more than your first choice?

Um, pick a movie that she'll enjoy, but one also with something that you could relate to.

For example, a girl called me and asked me to go to the movie. Being the ignorant lout, I suggested Mulan, since I was interested in listening to Goldsmith's score. She suggested another movie but I didn't really care for it. While Mulan wasn't a bad movie, it was the wrong movie, as my companion wasn't all that interested in watching 90+ minutes of hand drawn animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    my choice is The French Connection or The Usual Suspects.

Go with the Usual Suspects.

The mystery aspect of Keyser Soze can make for an interesting conversation during/after the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Both! Make it a double feature!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Moved the topic to 'off topic'. Not too sure maintitles is the place to discuss dating stuff though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not too sure maintitles is the place to discuss dating stuff though.

If there is a juicy girl involved, yes it is.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    Christodoulides wrote
    Moved the topic to 'off topic'. Not too sure maintitles is the place to discuss dating stuff though.

I did move it to Off Topic before.

If we can talk about suicide and its effect, then we can talk about dating stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Is anyone else reminded of Taxi Driver?

wink

Seriously though, what an interesting idea for a topic, and kudos to you, Kevin, for opening it. (It does mean opening up, which, on the Big Bad Web, may not always necessarily be painless...

As for your current choice of films, unless you're very sure she's into hard-hitting gritty classic action (she's got posters of Steve McQueen, her favourite film genre is French "policiers" from the seventies and she has a thang for Lino Ventura) I'd opt for the relatively safer choice. As lp mentioned above, The Usual Suspects works on several levels and is almost sure to provoke some good conversation afterwards (which is obviouslya great way to interact and get to know each other better).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    Let's not suggest Basic Instinct for fear that she may have an ice pick at her place?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    On the other hand, she may have a pair of handcuffs.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Let's not suggest Basic Instinct for fear that she may have an ice pick at her place?

biggrin

But it's a quality film noir for a rainy Friday night viewing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Excellent topic, although there's something a bit disturbing about a bunch of nerdy film score fanboys advising each other on the art of dating. wink

Choosing which film to watch is a fairly easy thing to do. You'll compromise and she'll compromise. You might not be too hot on SEX IN THE CITY 2 and she might not be too hot on TERMINATOR: SALVATION. But hey, that's just my prejudice talking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    there's something a bit disturbing about a bunch of nerdy film score fanboys advising each other on the art of dating.

Hey.angry
    I'm full of brilliant, excellent advice that should be a boon to anyone.
    Not that anyone ever listened yet.
    But hey. You know. It's, like, the principle of the thing.

Choosing which film to watch is a fairly easy thing to do. You'll compromise and she'll compromise.

Allow me to add a little nuance: Choosing which film to watch is a fairly easy thing to do. She will suggest something, AND YOU WILL NOD ENTHUSIASTICALLY AND COMPLIMENT HER ON HER EXQUISITE TASTE.

That's all. Carry on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    In my experience with dates, women never have good taste in movies... EVER...

The exception being 9 and Mr & Mrs Smith.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shoot her down, and put on the Indiana Jones trilogy. Sorted.

KevinSmith wrote

The exception being Mr & Mrs Smith.

Please tell me you are kidding? That's one of the worst movies ever made.
    Anthony wrote
    Shoot her down, and put on the Indiana Jones trilogy. Sorted.

KevinSmith wrote

The exception being Mr & Mrs Smith.

Please tell me you are kidding? That's one of the worst movies ever made.

It was disposable, nothing more.

What about a Pixar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Man... I'm so glad I never have to do the dating thing ever again...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here . And whoever said that mt's full of nerdy film score fanboys, is definitely not knowing mt good enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Same here . And whoever said that mt's full of nerdy film score fanboys, is definitely not knowing mt good enough.

Exactly! We had a guy once who didn't listen to film scores at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And he was a Don Juan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But seriously, people forget your hobbies and film music when it comes to new dates and new women in your life. Get over your fanboy instincts (who doesn't have them in here anyway); forget nostalgia and movie / score obsessions, forget your favorite composers just for a while at least. Of course you'll mention your love for those when you talk about yourself 'cause it is part of who you are but leave it at that; don't force anything on a girl that probably doesn't give a shit about those; she cares about you and she wants you to care about HER and nothing else, at least in the beginning of the relationship. Put the geeky bookshelf full of pleasures aside for a while and focus on you, the man, and her, the woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you see a woman you like, my advice is to grab her hooters and compliment her on them. Chicks dig that kind of thing, trust me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    If you see a woman you like, my advice is to grab her hooters and compliment her on them. Chicks dig that kind of thing, trust me.

FACT!

SLAP! "ouch!"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    We've decided on Up, but thank you for the suggestions!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven, my man beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Nerdy score fanboys who think woman is a nuclear reactor - is definitely not the image one would get if they ever walked into the board for the first time and read the title of the topic. Not to mention its contests wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    KevinSmith wrote
    We've decided on Up, but thank you for the suggestions!

Pretty safe for a first date, which is probably good.
    Let us know how it went, Kevin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

FACT!

SLAP! "ouch!"

I might have stolen that advice from you if memory serves...

Still. Good advice. Plus you get to hold some hooters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And your bleeding nose on the way to the infirmary.
    Where you might meet a nice nurse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly! You just can't lose!