• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Love him or hate him; i am usually at the first category, the perfect cheesy hollywood pop-corn spectacle with dumb, unoriginal but completely kick-ass scores (love Transformers, The Island and others).

Here's a very spot-on humorous take.

What is he doing these days btw?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    but completely kick-ass scores (love Transformers, The Island and others)

uhm

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    but completely kick-ass scores (love Transformers, The Island and others)

uhm

-Erik-

Quite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You haven't read the first half? smile I love Jablonsky shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Love him or hate him; i am usually at the first category

Me too.

Christodoulides wrote
    What is he doing these days btw?

Transformers 3 (opening 1 July 2011).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010 edited
    Apparently the racist robots have been axed. Bay has even admitted the second film was atrocious and blamed it on the pressure from the studio to it released asap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Racist robots?

Huh? confused

Transformers 3: Slegs vor Mekanieks?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    best thread ever
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    There are two directors whose filmographies typifies the kinetic visual storytelling that a Jerry Bruckheimer production is known for. Of course, they are Tony Scott and Michael Bay. I love the stylistic point of view and creative camera work and visual tricks that they've foisted upon us and popularizes it. I think that after Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys, Bay's style have been simplified down to less of the steadicam work and more of the handheld style that I don't really care for. Same thing happened with Tony Scott after Spy Game, where it became more and more experimental and hyperkinetic, but still very entertaining. I love that I can enjoy any movie that Tony Scott makes because he's very diverse in his choice of story. His new movie with Denzel Washington, Unstoppable, should be fun. Michael Bay, however, should really try to expand beyond the big blockbuster that he usually makes. I would love to see him do an actual comedy, like the Pain and Gain script that he has in development, or do something on a smaller scale, like a heist film or something. And stop using Steve Jablonsky in all of his productions. Trevor Morris is another RC composer who should be exploding onto the scene anytime now.
  1. Anthony wrote
    Apparently the racist robots have been axed. Bay has even admitted the second film was atrocious and blamed it on the pressure from the studio to it released asap.

Hah, so we can expect the mindless fun to return for the third installment. I just hope the execs learned their lesson and keep their hands off it this time.

I wonder what they'll come up with now to make it even more jawdropping, effects-wise?

Love the Bay movies BTW. He knows how to make audio-visually brilliant entertainment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I wish Bay (save for The Rock) could work with actors, really. It takes much "talent" to waste Jon Voight, Ewan McGregor, Djimon Honsou, Alec Baldwin, Dan Aykroyd, John Turturro, Tom Sizemore and Scarlett Johansson!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Actors and their roles always play second part to the effects and action, which are the main stars. But then we don't watch Bay movies for oscar-winning performances, do we?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Except Pearl Harbor (half actors I mentioned are from there), we don't. But I like good acting from actors even in entertainment movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wish Bay (save for The Rock) could work with actors, really. It takes much "talent" to waste Jon Voight, Ewan McGregor, Djimon Honsou, Alec Baldwin, Dan Aykroyd, John Turturro, Tom Sizemore and Scarlett Johansson!

Sometimes all these actors want is a pay check!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I don't care why they take the part, Erik. I care about their acting. And every single of them managed to be quite awful in Bay movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't care why they take the part, Erik. I care about their acting. And every single of them managed to be quite awful in Bay movies.

Aaaaaaah... they're hamming it up! However, it doesn't help that Bay's moves have terrible scripts.

-Erik-
  6. Actors did deliver on bad scripts. It's purely Michael Bay's fault that the acting is so bad.

Also, remember. I don't know if you liked his earlier movies, but all three movies he made before Pearl Harbor featured extensive improvisation. Bay admitted that half of the humor in The Rock was improvised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Also, remember. I don't know if you liked his earlier movies, but all three movies he made before Pearl Harbor featured extensive improvisation. Bay admitted that half of the humor in The Rock was improvised.

Which is probably why he hired Dan Aykroyd for Pearl Harbor - he thought the script was lacking in the fun-department.
  7. Aykroyd's role had no humor to it. At all. In fact Aykroyd is pretty wooden in the movie and in movies like Driving Miss Daisy he proved he is an able dramatic actor. Also to give him the fun factor, he plays too little in the movie to do any sensible impact.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wonder what they'll come up with now to make it even more jawdropping, effects-wise?

Hopefully not another robot with wrecking balls for testicles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Aykroyd's role had no humor to it. At all. In fact Aykroyd is pretty wooden in the movie and in movies like Driving Miss Daisy he proved he is an able dramatic actor. Also to give him the fun factor, he plays too little in the movie to do any sensible impact.

I take it that you didn't sense the sarcasm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I thought that, with Pearl Harbor, they were writing the screenplay as if the movie was made in that same era. The stilted, wooden, forced dialogue were part of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved Pearl Harbor shame

So Tony's doing Unstoppable? Damn the man has a hard-on on Denzel Washington! But i love what the duo produces *on film ( wink ) . When does that come out? Music by HGW i guess?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My all-time favourite movie scene is the one in Pearl Harbour where the Japanese generals plan the attack by carving a map of the area with all the military units into a stone tablet. If that isn't funny, I don't know what is. I laughed till I cried. In fact, a lot of people cried while watching Pearl Harbour, especially those who were recalling how much they had paid to watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010 edited
    PEARL HARBOUR is the greatest trainwreck of a movie I've seen in many a year. Score too. It makes Ed Wood come off as Tarkovskij in comparison. It is not often that I actually consider leaving the cinema (since tickets are so expensive over here), but in this case I did.

However, I do like many other Bay movies, and I love his saturated imagery if the film calls for it. THE ROCK, TRANSFORMERS, THE ISLAND....great movies, MTV-style popcorn rides with kinetic energy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    I don't have a problem with Bay's popcorn films and stuff like The Rock and Transformers are wonderful examples of the genre. But Pearl Harbour... good grief that was hideous. I don't suppose it's the worst movie ever made, but it's surely the worst one which is in that budgetary league.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hehe i can see the problems with the movie although i enjoyed it as mindless fun, but there;s nothing wrong with the score. Degrading it in every chance has become a large trend and i never understood why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Loved Pearl Harbor shame

So Tony's doing Unstoppable? Damn the man has a hard-on on Denzel Washington! But i love what the duo produces *on film ( wink ) . When does that come out? Music by HGW i guess?

Yeah, music by Harry. I don't know when it'll come out though This year, I think? I hope that Harry will be doing something slightly less derivative of the Deja Vu/Pelham 123/Domino approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Loved Pearl Harbor shame

The only problem I had with it is in the final act, which felt really tacked on and gratuitous and especially cheesy. That and the pacing should have been paced better. First hour should have build up to and ended with the bombing, and the second hour could have been about the Tokyo strike. I really liked the love theme that Hans eventually came up with. It was really THE BEST theme/thing that came out of that movie.