• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if some of our Maintitles members are also members of the Couchsurfing community.
    For those of you who don't know what couchsurfing is: check it out: it's a worldwide network of people, offering a couch or a bed for other people for free, hence creating possibilities to learn about each others culture, interests etc...

Or as they put it themselves in their vision statement on their website http://www.couchsurfing.org

"We envision a world where everyone can explore and create meaningful connections with the people and places they encounter. Building meaningful connections across cultures enables us to respond to diversity with curiosity, appreciation and respect. The appreciation of diversity spreads tolerance and creates a global community."

I just recently signed up, and have already my first trip planned (to Fimucité Tenerife) and my first guests will arrive at my place shortly afterwards. And I went to a CouchSurfing event, a potluck dinner, and had a blast, talking to quite a lot of interesting people, singing, connecting.

So I'm just curious, any other CS-ers around, here?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    No. New people scare me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010 edited
    I like meeting new people but I'm a bit sceptic about letting a complete stranger into my house or staying with someone I don't know. I've read about it though. Elin, let us know how it went! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. Stavroula wrote
    I like meeting new people but I'm a bit sceptic about letting a complete stranger into my house or staying with someone I don't know. I've read about it though. Elin, let us know how it went! smile

I will definitely keep you guys in the loop. So far I can say I have only met wonderful, openn passionate people, and somehow (don't ask me why wink ) I thought of you guys (and girls).

And about the complete stranger thing. People give each other positive, neutral or negative references or even vouch for them, so once you get to know some people, like I just did, and they vouch for somebody, these people are no longer complete strangers. It's a bit like this place, I, just like Thomas, have already offered my couch to MT members coming to Ghent's filmfestival this year.
    Only met a few of them in London, earlier this year, but still, MT feels a bit like an extended family, doesn't it?
    And you know full well which members you would let stay in your house and which once would be slighetly more dangerous, don't you Stavi biggrin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but WE are cool, friendly and easy to be with.
    Other people obviously are potential psychopathic axe murderers.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's what you say Martijn.

I'd love to CouchSurf once. Never actually made use of it, since we're mostly travelling with more than 2 people (CS is good for 1 or perhaps 2 people). I might like to open the house for others too I think.
    Kazoo
  3. Martijn wrote
    No. New people scare me.

Too right!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I say yes, Mel says no.....end of slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    And about the complete stranger thing. People give each other positive, neutral or negative references or even vouch for them, so once you get to know some people, like I just did, and they vouch for somebody, these people are no longer complete strangers.

The Couch Vouch! smile

It's not really my cup of tea, but it's an awesome thing for those who find value in it. And of course, I'm always very fond of meeting NEW people - anywhere in the world. I prefer to do so in pubs, though, or similar venues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    The Couch thingy. A.K.A also letting possible rapists or thieves in wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, but WE are cool, friendly and easy to be with.
    Other people obviously are potential psychopathic axe murderers.

Don't be so narrow minded.
    Y'know, if he carries an axe it doesn't necissarily means he's a psychopath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    I'd love it if the place where i lived would be sharing the qualities of Lokeren in Belgium, i.e. allowing me to be open minded with such cases but unfortunately it does not; rather the opposite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010 edited
    Since it's a network all over the world, to exhange cultures with people from abroad, I don't think the place you live in is a factor. Take a person from Belgium in and you are save - believe you me.

Personally I think it's a great concept, as long as you keep an eye on the referrals and have some contact beforehand. I wouldn't let anyone in without any form of communication before.
  4. I think it's both interesting and scary, meeting new people can be a rewarding experience but it all comes down to actually liking them, getting along with them, accepting them.

don't know if I'll be doing that that easily
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. BobdH wrote
    Since it's a network all over the world, to exhange cultures with people from abroad, I don't think the place you live in is a factor. Take a person from Belgium in and you are save - believe you me.

Personally I think it's a great concept, as long as you keep an eye on the referrals and have some contact beforehand. I wouldn't let anyone in without any form of communication before.

I completely agree, you can choose to phone each other before hand, or to e-mail each other etc.

I have a pretty good feeling about who I'm letting into my house, and also about who I'm visiting. If you 'click' beforehand, a couple of days together can be an incredible amount of fun.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised about the fear some of you express. Not that I don't understand where it comes from, but it is not a way of being I like to live.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I think it's both interesting and scary, meeting new people can be a rewarding experience but it all comes down to actually liking them, getting along with them, accepting them.

don't know if I'll be doing that that easily

You didn't have a big trouble with me when I was a new person in your life (I'm reeeeeeeally happy you did that easily with me cheesy

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    Yes, but there's a difference between internet people and *actual* humans. The latter are way more scary.

(and you're letting them in your house, too!)
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    biggrin