• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I thought this series deserves a special topic, considering it's goddamn brilliant. I saw the movie Serenity first and absolutely loved the characters, the entire world, the look and feel of it and read so much about the series Firefly that I wanted to see it for myself. And truthfully I'm not disappointed at all. Hence down one of the most interesting series ever IF you look at the way they present the characters.

I haven't seen the final episodes (3 to go) yet but it's easy to see why they canceled it, because it doesn't give the people a cliffhanger ending ala 24 or Lost each time, of course it doesn't need that because it's so smartly written that people are missing the point. It's all about the characters and their interactions between one another.

The humor is absolutely brilliant, the characters are interesting and diverse and even though they all do bad things, you accept them because they eventually still know the difference between right and wrong. Mal (Nathan Fillion) must be one of the coolest characters ever created, because even though he's ultimately a good guy, he isn't afraid to make the tough decision, even at his own crew. The rest is equally lovably, especially Kaylee who's sooooo sweet and sooooo cute link shocked

The effects are more than good and the music is fine enough

anyone else a fan of the series or the movie SERENITY?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. LOVED Serenity. Haven't seen Firefly yet.
  3. christopher wrote
    LOVED Serenity. Haven't seen Firefly yet.

if you love serenity, you'll love the series, same humor and much more character development
  4. I am a little hesitant to watch the series because I'm expecting 11 episodes (or however many were filmed) that only lead up to the early events in the film. I'll get more of the characters, which I would really enjoy, but it will all end rather suddenly, won't it? And basically be a story line that I already know from watching the film?
  5. christopher wrote
    I am a little hesitant to watch the series because I'm expecting 11 episodes (or however many were filmed) that only lead up to the early events in the film. I'll get more of the characters, which I would really enjoy, but it will all end rather suddenly, won't it? And basically be a story line that I already know from watching the film?

It are 15 episodes (if you count the pilot as 2) and I understand your concern, I can't comment on that yet because I haven't seen the final episodes yet, but the last I've seen start to show where the movie was beginning with, namely showing River's capabilities and mood changes

but for me that can't stop me from enjoying the enormous chemistry between all the characters and the fantastic humour
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    christopher wrote
    I am a little hesitant to watch the series because I'm expecting 11 episodes (or however many were filmed) that only lead up to the early events in the film. I'll get more of the characters, which I would really enjoy, but it will all end rather suddenly, won't it? And basically be a story line that I already know from watching the film?

Compared to the absolute genius brilliance that is the series, the movie is just like a pleasant afterthought. Good, but pales in comparison to the greatness of what came before. And I, like you, started with the film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I started with the film too. But I can vouch for the series being superior. One of the great tragedies of TV that this got cancelled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^ What Steven said.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great series that was killed off way too soon (what else is news in TV land?). I'm not always a fan of Whedon's humour that is inserted into all kinds of supernatural stories (BUFFY, ALIEN: RESSURECTION), but I thought it worked well in FIREFLY. Came more naturally to the "cowboys in space" characters, I guess. I fortunately saw the film AFTERWARDS, which does its best to wrap up any loose ends from the sudden ending of the series.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Kaylee. She is, she is. *drool*
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  6. great, good to see so many fans smile
  7. After seeing the trailer for the movie we got hooked and watched the series before the movie came out, and we´re glad that we did, so after watching the series we really loved to see them all again on the big screen.

Fantastic, funny, immensely watchable series. The movie is a great companion piece that wraps up a lot of things quite nicely and doesn´t fall into the usual "big screen adaptation" pitfalls.
  8. Thor wrote
    Great series that was killed off way too soon (what else is news in TV land?). I'm not always a fan of Whedon's humour that is inserted into all kinds of supernatural stories (BUFFY, ALIEN: RESSURECTION), but I thought it worked well in FIREFLY. Came more naturally to the "cowboys in space" characters, I guess. I fortunately saw the film AFTERWARDS, which does its best to wrap up any loose ends from the sudden ending of the series.

You mean Serenity?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Love it. I recommend you get the first three comics (a trilogy) written by Whedon himself -- it's quite good. Set inbetween the series and the film, timeline wise.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

You mean Serenity?

Uhm, yes....did you think I thought the film was called AFTERWARDS! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Me, Steven, Martijn, Thor, Justin and Ralph all agree on something? What's going on here? slant wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  10. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

You mean Serenity?

Uhm, yes....did you think I thought the film was called AFTERWARDS! biggrin

Yes, because you capitalized all the titles before lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Scribe wrote
    Me, Steven, Martijn, Thor, Justin and Ralph all agree on something? What's going on here? slant wink

The very walls of space and time are collapsing! Cats and dogs are living together!

Appearently 30 minutes only applies to CDs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Is Serenity that David Newman movie? Are these 2, the series and the movie related in any way? Serenity put me to sleep, it was one of the few movies i turned off half-way. The music's good though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  12. Christodoulides wrote
    Is Serenity that David Newman movie? Are these 2, the series and the movie related in any way? Serenity put me to sleep, it was one of the few movies i turned off half-way. The music's good though.

David Newman scored indeed the movie Serenity, and Serenity is the movie version of the series Firefly, which was canceled after 15 episodes, the movie somehow closes the story in general.

I must advice you then to see the movie Serenity again on blu-ray and in High Definition sound because it's a roller coaster soundmix that blows you away, the score of Newman works tremendously during the picture by the way
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Newman score was indeed kick ass and it impressed me. But the movie failed to capture my interest...not really my kind of thing i am afraid smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    kill

(The series is better. Much better.)
  13. Steven wrote
    kill

(The series is better. Much better.)

the movie sort of concludes the story, brings a lot of action as well, the series developed more on the characters, but in both there's such a smart humor and lovable chemistry that they complement each other well
  14. Christodoulides wrote
    The Newman score was indeed kick ass and it impressed me. But the movie failed to capture my interest...not really my kind of thing i am afraid smile

Yeah, I wasn't taken by the movie either. And I only saw 90 % of the pilot before I didn't want to go on.

But that's logical... I have no taste. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, you don't.
  15. But in this case I'm not alone.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is definiitely necessary and very well executed. We NEEDED to see the dreaded Reavers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Enough with the Blu-Ray plaudits.
    Yeah, sure, it gives you a pixel depth of 3 picometer and has a sound range that is able to level small mountains. We get it!

But aside from all the technical hocus pocus, Serenity is just a fine piece of work that really ends the series in the best way possible, given the circumstances. It is viewable on its own merits, but is far more entertaining when you've seen the (excellent) series. It's quick, rollicking, entertaining throughout, and with a cast of characters that is as likable as anything I've seen in the last decade.

And the series is even better. Top notch scriptng, and excellent mood setting.
    Yes, I grant it's not for everyone (the "space cows" western style of sci fi certainly has its fair share of detractors), but the dialogue and the Final Frontier style certainly drew me in from the get-go.

And Morenea Baccarin just may be the most beautiful woman in any multiverse.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Space cows?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Enough with the Blu-Ray plaudits.
    Yeah, sure, it gives you a pixel depth of 3 picometer and has a sound range that is able to level small mountains. We get it!

But aside from all the technical hocus pocus, Serenity is just a fine piece of work that really ends the series in the best way possible, given the circumstances. It is viewable on its own merits, but is far more entertaining when you've seen the (excellent) series. It's quick, rollicking, entertaining throughout, and with a cast of characters that is as likable as anything I've seen in the last decade.

And the series is even better. Top notch scriptng, and excellent mood setting.
    Yes, I grant it's not for everyone (the "space cows" western style of sci fi certainly has its fair share of detractors), but the dialogue and the Final Frontier style certainly drew me in from the get-go.

Indeed. [/Morpheus]

And Morenea Baccarin just may be the most beautiful woman in any multiverse.

She looks amazing in Firefly. Not so much in V. (Which is shit by the way.)