• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scoring "Silver Cord", which he also happens to be an executive producer on...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    This is a very good composer, in my opintion, sadly underrated. His big orchestral scores for B movies such as Beastmaster 2 and Lawnmower Man 2 is really entertaining, adrenaline-pumping stuff. Wonderful sense of fantasy, awe and wonder in Troll in Central Park and Arabian Knight, and rousing, ostinato-driven action in Tremors. And, of course, let's not forget about all his hilarious Police Academy scores!

mc
  2. True, a very good composer, got a true knack for action and adventure, but his fantasy was great as well like in NeverEnding Story 2 and A Troll in Central Park

But my favorites remain Toy Soldiers and Tremors, what a rush those moments in Tremors. If they ever make a soundtrack of the score as heard in the film (Troost in the begin and Folk in the end) you've got one of the best comedic/horror scores of the early '90 smile no kidding wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Toy Soldiers is a fantastic heroic action score totally along my preferred line for action scoring. I think I´ve played the final action track of the album a thousand times when I finally got it. Great, great score. Love Beastmaster 2 as well. Great themes, great album. I never cared too much for NES 2 so, though I must admit it has beautiful chorals.
  4. Beastmaster 2 has got a couple of great tracks indeed, especially that 10 minute Dar the Hero has got everything, a build up and a finish with the great main theme wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Beastmaster 2 has got a couple of great tracks indeed, especially that 10 minute Dar the Hero has got everything, a build up and a finish with the great main theme wink

The heroic rendition of the Dar theme heard at the end of Dar The Hero is one of my ALL TIME favorite themes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Oh hell, I´m in such a fantasy mood. I could endlessly listen to those epics. I think I´ll make a sampler of the greatest fantasy scores for my car right now... and Beastmaster 1 & 2 will most certainly be on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    I need to have a listen to Beastmaster 2. I have Holdridge's The Beastmaster (i.e. the first film), but it's not all that distinguished to my mind. I can take it or leave it.
    But by all accounts Folk's score to part 2 is far superior!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. ah, both scores I feel hold their own very good, I appreciate and like both of them for their innitial voice even though I find Beastmaster 2 holding the better main theme
  7. Don't forget "In the Army Now".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Recorded a score for yet another useless sequel: "Beethoven's Big Break".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    Robert Folk tweeted this yesterday.

"My score for Iconic Director Roland Joffe and Producer James Ordonez. On Varese Sarabande CDs, Feb 7. Epic Orch & Choir!"

Booya!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Which score does he refer to?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. He did a rescore for America of "There Be Dragons". Otherwise the score overseas is still by Stephen Warbeck. Both sound like exciting possibilities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Yes, There Be Dragons. Sorry.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE MISSION AND THE KILLING FIELDS

THERE BE DRAGONS: SECRETOS DE PASIÓN
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by
    Robert Folk

Written and directed by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Roland Joffé (The Mission, The Killing Fields) THERE BE DRAGONS: SECRETOS DE PASIÓN is an epic action-adventure romance set during the turmoil of the Spanish Civil War. The story traces the parallel stories of Manolo Torres (Wes Bentley), a fascist spy who has to struggle with his internal conflicts, the woman he loves (Olga Kurylenko) and his main enemy in the field of war (Rodrigo Santoro), and Jose Maria Escriva (Charlie Cox), a priest who has to choose between his holy duty and the love for his country.

Composer Robert Folk has created a heroic, powerful and sweeping score for choir and orchestra.

Tayrona Entertainment will be opening THERE BE DRAGONS: SECRETOS DE PASIÓN in limited engagements beginning in December and continuing into the new year.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 135 2
    Release Date: 02/07/12

1. Main Titles (1:57)
    2. Battle Begins (1:04)
    3. Romance (2:35)
    4. More Dad (1:17)
    5. Killing Priests (3:53)
    6. Love & War Finale (2:52)
    7. Robert’s Investigation (3:36)
    8. Change Plans (2:43)
    9. Hanging Bridge Battle (:53)
    10. Manolo Starts His Story (1:32)
    11. Pray For Him (2:29)
    12. Kidnap & Kill (2:41)
    13. Priest’s Calling (2:29)
    14. Battle For Madrid (2:10)
    15. Franco’s Government Files (1:57)
    16. Oriol Is Dead (2:38)
    17. Manolo Meets Generals (1:36)
    18. Lord Open My Eyes (1:30)
    19. Idilko By The Lake (1:42)
    20. Train Station Patriots (:40)
    21. The Priest, I Knew Him (:57)
    22. Who To Kill (3:17)
    23. Factory Strike (1:02)
    24. At First Sight (:46)
    25. Sitting Ducks (1:04)
    26. A Baby Is Born (:47)
    27. Then God Is Just (:40)
    28. An Epic Story (1:23)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … tos/Detail
  10. Sound clips:
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … Folk-.html
  11. I think that this score deserves cut-and-paste post:

As I mentioned elsewhere, There Be Dragons: Secretos de Pasión could already be one of the best scores of 2012. The more of this I listen to this score by Folk the more I am loving it. A grand, rousing title theme leads into a great orchestral score with solid supporting choir that is balanced by some more intimate, Spanish-flavoured acoustic guitar.

Thoroughly enjoying this one and I recommend this one to everyone. Get it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. I still have to hear it, but I'm a big Folk fan, so I have no doubt I will enjoy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    Not sure if I should trust Alan given his odd tastes (Under Fire tongue )... but then this is Robert Folk. lick
  13. Steven wrote
    Not sure if I should trust Alan given his odd tastes (Under Fire tongue )... but then this is Robert Folk. lick

biggrin

If you do go for it, and you like it, then make sure you say so!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's a fabulous score! Spanish guitar, big thunderous sound, chorus, lush melodies! Great stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm

shocked

cheesy

punk

CONVINCED.
  14. Damn! I wanted to convince him.
  15. Nice to see another Robert Folk release, even though I'm not overtly familiar with it. But fuck it, ordered it in a hearbeat punk

A TROLL IN CENTRAL PARK

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 195
    Date: 1994
    Tracks: 15
    Time = 64:27

World premiere release of florid, exciting Robert Folk score for Don Bluth/Gary Goldman animation film from 20th Century Fox. Folk scores with emphasis on lively excitement, robust action for full orchestra. Score melds tuneful ideas with incredibly busy, fast-paced activity. Results are colorful, dynamic. Several lengthy cues add coherency to good vibes! Complete score presented from crisp two-track digital session masters. (Three songs were permanently wedded to sound effects and dialog of picture and, as such, are not included on this album.) But the score's the thing! Robert Folk conducts Irish Film Orchestras (the collective name given members of several Irish ensembles.) Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain.

01. Main Title And Magic Thumb 5:40
    02. Meteor Ride 2:52
    03. The N.Y.C. Experience 2:42
    04. Nuts And Butterflies 8:17
    05. That First Kiss 3:47
    06. Gus Meets Stanley 1:35
    07. Waltzing 2:29
    08. The Old Soft Petal 1:53
    09. Ride The Sail Boat 5:40
    10. Bed Of Flowers 7:04
    11. Gnorga In The Park 3:41
    12. Wake Up! 2:40
    13. The Final Battle 7:05
    14. Home And Family 2:58
    15. End Credits 5:32
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    Great score. And I mean GREAT score! I just finished listening to the suite on Folk's Selected Suites albums and it's a full bodied, epic score! Big themes, huge action and lots of fun!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard anything by Robert Folk!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited
    Really?

http://www.robertfolk.com/audio.html

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A very talented composer, talented enough to make you weep that he doesn't get deservedly bigger gigs when you hear the junk pumped out for big movies by many so-called composers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  16. Southall wrote
    I've never heard anything by Robert Folk!

well, I'm sure you're gonna like him. This is the suite I made of probably his best score of all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CKkXuu … ature=plcp

But just have to hear the big epic sound of Beastmaster 2 or the thundering qualities of Tremors or the amazing theme of Lawnmower Man 2 to realize that this man deserves a god status today. One of those composers that could have made, if he truly scored for much better movies. Toy Soldiers and Tremors not included wink