• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited
    *as less than three members of the board actually remember him and the others look at him like Bernard Herrmann being offered The Ghost and Mr. Chicken*

Well I kind of fizzled away from the forum in the early bits of 2009 and then never came back... due mainly to the increased vigilance of Internet monitoring at my work. But now that I LEFT that job in early 2010 to concentrate on my book, I'm now free! Free, I tell you!

And I decided to make a whole thread about me coming back because I can and I have free speech and so there. Nothing stands in my way! Well except the admins.

To anyone who actually remembers me: you have my admiration, I am not worthy. Now if I can just do a good job of remembering all of you, too.

What I've been up to for more than a year? So nice of you to ask. Well I finished that Alien costume I was talking about back then, also finished writing my book, a play and a screenplay. That book is now published and all the rage! (well... it's all the rage with the 50 people who've bought it so far, but it's a start, no?)

2009 was an awesome (and expensive) year for film music as I'm sure you'll agree, and my favourite score of the year was John Powell's "Ice Age 3", followed closely by Horner's "Avatar." My favourite stand-alone theme of the year, however, is John Ottman's "Astro Boy" main theme.

Well, glad to be back! I'll now do my best to jump right back into the forum. And splash everyone with a giant cannonball.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Welcome back man, missed ya! beer wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thanks!! Now I'll have to remember how to use these emoticons all over again.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    1. Welcome back.

2. I'm glad you liked Ice Age 3. I think it is a very strong score, but I was beginning to think no body else agreed with me.
  1. good to have you back bud, we need more familiar faces returning, hopefully you stay this time wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice to have you back, Heero!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Welcome back heero! The admins stand in the way of nobody but the lunatics. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Ah the Horner fan, I remember you.

Welcome back. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Glad you are back here! We need more animated people here. biggrin

And good luck and have fun with your book!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote

Animated people, yes.
    Animation maniacs...no! kill

wink

Welcome back, Heero. We noticed the distinctly diminishing number of Canadians on the board! wink wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Welcome back, Heero. We noticed the distinctly diminishing number of Canadians on the board! wink wave

As long as the Greek count is still up, I think we're good.

@DreamTheatre: Yes, definitely more Horner fan than ever now with Avatar.

@Panthera: John Powell is has been steadily climbing the ranks of my favourite composers and it seems there's no stopping him with a score like Ice Age 3. I can't WAIT to listen to "Dragon." Granted, his versatility is in question, and I'm still waiting for his own Schindler's List to show up, but I don't really care: he's found a specialty and even if always just sticks with it, I couldn't be happier. I think "Stop-Loss" is probably as stirring as and serious as we'll ever get from him, and that's fine.

@Everyone else: thanks very much! It was hard not having anyone to be giddy with when the new "Goonies" release was announced, so hopefully I'll be here next time something this epic happens.

Before I left, did I share with you the few film music hidden references I put in my book? There's this commando squad in it, and 6 of its members have the following names:
    Mikred Rosman
    Manz Steiman
    Bernlos Herrza
    Fritri Waxkin
    Alfax Newner
    Dimard Tiommann

Notice the pattern?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote

@Panthera: John Powell is has been steadily climbing the ranks of my favourite composers and it seems there's no stopping him with a score like Ice Age 3. I can't WAIT to listen to "Dragon." Granted, his versatility is in question, and I'm still waiting for his own Schindler's List to show up, but I don't really care: he's found a specialty and even if always just sticks with it, I couldn't be happier. I think "Stop-Loss" is probably as stirring as and serious as we'll ever get from him, and that's fine.

Hmm, I would say that the closest Powell has come to his own "Schindler's List" is United 93. But even then it's an unfair comparison as they work in two very different ways. Though I do know where you're coming from - I think most of us would like to see Powell score a more dramatic, serious film. Perhaps one that gives him the chance to show off his ability to pull on an audience's heart strings a little more than we're used to from him.

I am surprised Ice Age 3 is your favourite score from last year though. To me, it's his weakest and least interesting score for an animated movie. Just out of interest, how many of his scores have you heard? (Oh, and 'Dragon' is much MUCH better than Ice Age 3. Imo.)

Still, an Avatar fan is always welcome [back]. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    I think "Stop-Loss" is probably as stirring as and serious as we'll ever get from him, and that's fine.

United 93. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I would say that the closest Powell has come to his own "Schindler's List" is United 93. But even then it's an unfair comparison as they work in two very different ways.

Yes, very much agreed. They work in different ways. In the sense that Schindler's List actually works, and United 93 DOESN'T! I'm sorry, no matter how many times I listen to this score everything before the final track is just painful droning noises. Most definitely Powell's weakest, alongside Forces of Nature. The final lengthy track IS excellent but it's not enough to compensate for the rest. Maybe I need a couple more hundred listens, I dunno... Anyways that's why I didn't bring it up. Stop-Loss is actually very excellent to my ears, so I thought it could provide a better example.

About Ice Age 3... There are just no words. Only Horton comes close, in my opinion. It is just SO rich. I actually built a complete breakdown of ALL the themes in that score and I think I came up with something well above 15 or so. Granted, my first listen was a major disappointment. But as I started picking up the themes and realized there wasn't a moment on the entire CD I couldn't hum to, I saw this was the kind of score that reminded me why I liked film music in the first place. Letting the melodies of this score blossom and grow on me was like discovering a new action/adventure Horner score back in the days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm glad you enjoy it, but give me Bolt, How To Train Your Dragon, Chicken Run, Shrek, Horton, Robots, Ice Age 2, Happy Feet or Kung Fu Panda ANY day over that mediocre Holst-ripping score!

Also, I NEVER listen to United 93, it's very boring. But it works in the movie. Still, looking at Powell's track record, I don't think he's the kind of composer we should wait with bated breath for a "Schindler's List" from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm glad you enjoy it, but give me Bolt, How To Train Your Dragon, Chicken Run, Shrek, Horton, Robots, Ice Age 2, Happy Feet or Kung Fu Panda ANY day over that mediocre Holst-ripping score!

Also, I NEVER listen to United 93, it's very boring. But it works in the movie. Still, looking at Powell's track record, I don't think he's the kind of composer we should wait with bated breath for a "Schindler's List" from him.

UNITED 93 is first and foremost brilliant in terms of spotting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    lol exactly. Still, if you're going to be pigeon-holed and typecast, being stuck with action/adventure scores is a pretty dang good way of being typecast. At least he's not stuck with horror like Daniel Licht.

Speaking of Bolt, there's a score whose potential was ruined by the inadequate CD release... So sad. At least all the other ones you mentioned were given proper treatment. They all get regular airtime in my CD player. And also X-Men 3. (And forgetting Paycheck would be criminal) But I'm just so curious to hear why Ice Age 2 would be so superior to 3 in your opinion. Going track-by-track, I'd like to hear why each one is so mediocre. For instance, are the End Credits not a collage of stand-out themes, ala John Williams?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's why I deleted the regular Bolt album from my library and only ever listen to the promo. A wonderful little score best heard in its complete form.

Ice age 3 has a nice end credits suite, I'll give you that (though nothing quite on the level of John Williams), but that's the only thing I'd take from that score. I find the best parts of it are basically taken from Ice Age 2, which in my opinion is a superior score; feels more fresh than Ice Age 3. His sequel score feels like John Powell on auto-pilot (which is not necessarily a criticism: I think he's allowed the odd mediocre score considering how many good-or-great scores he's written).

Though I'm afraid my geekiness stops at track-by-track analysis. Sorry.

And I do hope you've heard the promo tracks to the battle music from Avatar. No Avatar score fan should be without them! (In fact I think no score fan should be without them, but that may tarnish my already wavering reputation. wink)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I am Anthony and I approve of Steven's opinion. knight
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    No I haven't heard that!! More Avatar battle music? I WANTS!!! Where?!??

I was using the End Credits of Ice Age 3 as lead-in to my own analysis: the theme-by-theme aspect of that suite is in fact exactly what you find in the lengthy action tracks of the meat of the score, like "Battles" and "Rescues". It's always one theme after the other and there's never a moment you can't latch onto. And SO many new themes not present in Ice Age 2. In fact most themes from Ice Age 2 only make a one-time cameo (like the "Waterpark" theme and the "Mammoths" theme).

But you know what? It took YEARS for me to appreciate Ice Age 2 for the brilliance that it is. So maybe it'll take that long for Ice Age 3 to also creep up on other people's radars. And if never does, it's not a tremendous loss considering the rest of Powell's canon that we agree on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    I think "Stop-Loss" is probably as stirring as and serious as we'll ever get from him, and that's fine.

United 93. wink

Why not? STOP LOSS is of equal quality and similar characteristics. A great score with a wonderfully sad main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    UNITED 93 is by all means, technical mostly, a proper modern film score. It serves the very strong movie it accompanies frame by frame and flawlessly, only if you watch the movie and connect with its topic you might be able to capture what Powell did with the score. I'd agree it's not your typical score or the easiest of listens but i'd never call it "boring".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    No I haven't heard that!! More Avatar battle music? I WANTS!!! Where?!??

Yes indeedy. Here's my take on what makes a better album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    UNITED 93 is by all means, technical mostly, a proper modern film score. It serves the very strong movie it accompanies frame by frame and flawlessly, only if you watch the movie and connect with its topic you might be able to capture what Powell did with the score. I'd agree it's not your typical score or the easiest of listens but i'd never call it "boring".

I really should see it. There's no two ways about it. I know I won't "like" the score any more, but at least I'll probably grow some respect for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, that would explain your disposition towards it. If ever there was a score that required a viewing of its respective film to appreciate it, United 93 is it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote

Sunil was animated too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

Sunil was animated too.

I kinda miss him.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    uhm

Are you drunk?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or did you just take aim, but didn't hit him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Come on, put a little troll in your life. It is fun!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you