• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    In the effort to capitalize on our sad lack of resistance for buying anything new with the words "Limited Edition" on it, some record labels recently have hit us with grossly inappropriate releases that I think deserve a massive apology, if not our money back. By "inappropriate" I mean scores way too short to warrant a CD release of their own. They should've been padded with another short score, like back in the days that labels still cared about giving us our money's worth. Worse still: they sometimes actually padded this already-short release with pop songs not originally written for the movie in an attempt to bring the runtime to minimal levels. Here are the criminal releases of the last few months:

The Day of the Locust (John Barry, Intrada)
    The Andromeda Strain (Gil Mellé, Intrada)
    An American Werewolf in London (Elmer Bernstein, Score Ideal Bootlegs)

and the mother of all insults:

Caddyshack (Johnny Mandel & Kenny Logan, La-La-Land)

What are your thoughts? Should we riot in the streets? Gut small animals on the full moon?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    confused
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I think rioting is a bit extreme! Maybe a bit more control before purchasing would solve the problem.

It's certainly the case that the "limited edition" label is an attraction to certain people, but a lot of the attraction is because these are sought-after titles that may have not been available in any form before (and maybe they were not released before because there was some feature of the rights that meant it couldn't be released before - and leads to the "limited edition" status now?)

Caddyshack was certainly a release that was of no interest to me when it was released by La-La Land Records recently - too many songs. And it was easy to buy some mp3 tracks from the album that sounded worth having - and avoiding the songs completely.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you don't like the release DON'T BUY IT! Simple!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The pick-'n'-choose method really is gathering steam, which I think is excellent and very cost-efficient(even though I'd still prefer a lossless purchase option, if only to be prepared for future music standards).

I wasn't aware though any outside of the major outlets like iTunes and Amazon (and Mikael's label, of course) offered MP3 downloads? SAE doesn't, do they? Where did you buy Caddyshack, Alan? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Where did you buy Caddyshack, Alan? confused

Amazon UK. And Play.com offers them at 320kbps (Amazon tends to be around 256kbps or less.)

BTW, I just bought the 3 Mandel tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    I wasn't aware though any outside of the major outlets like iTunes and Amazon (and Mikael's label, of course) offered MP3 downloads?

www.classicsonline.com has a (limited) selection of stuff - mostly Naxos and Capriccio labels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The problem is that I'm dumber than that. I don't know the release is unsuitable until after I've bought it. Some prior online research might solve that problem, but isn't it more fun to rant believe yourself righteous? spin
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. I recall LLLR saying something about the reason for "Caddyshack" had something to do with the studio.

"An American Werewolf in London" -- did Bernstein say he only recorded about 20mins on that one?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    "An American Werewolf in London" -- did Bernstein say he only recorded about 20mins on that one?

If he said that, I wish he'd said it to me! I would've known what I was getting into, then. And this bootleg company is usually excellent about filling their CDs (88+ minutes on a single disc, no kidding) with relevant material. Not one-thousand-and-one remixes of "Blue Moon" and "Werewolves of London" like on this release. Mind you, these 20 minutes of score are excellent and any Bernstein completist should dish out $29 for this release; it's just a shame to think that if the makers had been up to their usual standards we would've been treated to another needed Bernstein score to fill out the rest of the CD for the same price. Like, oh gee I don't know, Slipstream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Anyone paying $29 for a bootleg is an idiot, quite frankly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The problem is that I'm dumber than that. I don't know the release is unsuitable until after I've bought it. Some prior online research might solve that problem, but isn't it more fun to rant believe yourself righteous? spin

It amazes me how you're able to avoid a tracklisting including tracktimes before purchase. Where I buy scores, it's always listed, so you know upfront immediately the quantity you're getting. dizzy

I'm not really a fan myself of those 'padding' releases. I'd like to have a single score on my CD, that's a listening experience on itself. Don't ask me why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010 edited
    BobdH wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It amazes me how you're able to avoid a tracklisting including tracktimes before purchase. Where I buy scores, it's always listed, so you know upfront immediately the quantity you're getting. dizzy

I'm not really a fan myself of those 'padding' releases. I'd like to have a single score on my CD, that's a listening experience on itself. Don't ask me why.

I agree. I never measure a musical experience by the actual QUANTITY of music on the disc. That's like judging how a red apple tastes by its redness. The most important thing is to have a nice, flowing listening experience.

That said, I'm not opposed to coupling two short scores that have a connection somehow (through style, composer, theme etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

good advice
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thor wrote

I agree. I never measure a musical experience by the actual QUANTITY of music on the disc. That's like judging how a red apple tastes by its redness. The most important thing is to have a nice, flowing listening experience.

Well said. Some of my favourite scores have been very short ones. Like the 20 minutes of Michael J. Lewis' Uman, Wittering & Zigo. It would just be a shame for 20 minutes to take up as much space on my shelves as a full CD, and the fact that this CD receives the bonus feature of Lewis' The Naked Face makes it definitely worthwhile.

Jim Ware wrote

Have you SEEN then? They look better-produced than many commercial CDs these days. And I thought I'd made it clear that they always squeeze nearly 90 minutes of music on their releases these days, and it's ALWAYS on pressed CDs, not CDRs. Some of the best scores in my collection were done by then, like Highlander, Starship Troopers : Expanded, and Fly Away Home. That's why this Werewolf thing recently felt not quite up to their standard.
  5. "Not only am I NOT buying this watermelon -- I am insulted they're selling it!"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    My problem is that I *am* buying it. If I want a complete discography of John Barry, I kinda have no choice to buy that new Day of the Locust CD, even though it's quite a rip-off, do I? It's not my fault: I'm a collector. I'm just weak...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I used to be a collector.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This "i have to have it" philosophy is something i never understood.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010 edited
    I used to be like that, but thankfully I grew out of it. I'm just interested in hearing great music, regardless of whether it's a download or a CD purchase. Granted, when I became a full time student I was kind of forced to neglect the collector in me, but I'm glad I did - I've saved so much, and now I only care about the music. I'm a better person. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010 edited
    Collect just everything around just because you have to have it sometimes even without actually listening to a cd, perhaps not more than once at least, is silly the way i see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Jim Ware wrote

If the music is great, if there's no other way to get the music and if you can afford it, I don't see why that would entail idiocy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with Jim. There's a 99.99% chance you could do a google search and find a download link for it, so why BUY a bootleg? They're not meant to be sold. Download them for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'd agree that if you're looking for unreleased music, there are usually cheaper (i.e. free) and easier ways to find the music, rather than buying it from shady individuals on ebay.

It's not all boots that are easy to find for free though. If you can't find it by other means and if the music is awesome, there's nothing idiotic paying for it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, no that's true. But most bootlegs that are bought can be easily downloaded. It's rare to be able to buy a bootleg that isn't uploaded somewhere. (It's just a matter of looking in the right places.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed. I think bootleg sellers generally take advantage of people's ignorance. They google for a title and download the music for free. They then google for some images that they download for free to create a cover. Then they sell the CDs on ebay for high prices to people who don't know how to google.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    99% of everything out there is available to download.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed. I think bootleg sellers generally take advantage of people's ignorance. They google for a title and download the music for free. They then google for some images that they download for free to create a cover. Then they sell the CDs on ebay for high prices to people who don't know how to google.

Peter smile

And those usually have zero production value, almost always burned on CDR with little to no labeling on the disc itself.

I quit buying those a long, LONG time ago.

If you've never seen those other boots I'm talking about there's no way to describe them short of holding them in your hands. I tell you they are much better produced pressed-CDs than many, many minimalist Varese releases. And since they always cram their discs full of music (often sticking two or three scores on them) you can always count on getting your money's worth (with the exception of this new American Werewolf release, grrr.)