• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm looking to get my own email address that actually says something about who I am and what I'm about. So something that's ID@hotmail.com and the like is out. Looking around it seems that I can register a domain name and then email may come with this. (The emails could be forwarded to my current email address of actually hosted by a host?)

Does anyone know of reputable companies that can give me what I want. I don't really want a website to go with my email address (though it it's offered I could just have a one-pager that offers a bit more detail about me) - the main thing is to have that memorable email address.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited
    Alan, good idea, and a very fine calling card.

Unfortunately I cant point you towards any specific service (not being British), but maybe one of our UK members may be able to help (Anthony?)

In general though, you've got it right: you find a reputable hosting service (I'm sure there must be comparison/review boards in the UK to do some homework to base your choice on: there are aplenty in The Netherlands or the US!), and then you get get a cheap hosting deal there.

Generally such a deal/package entails (1) the registering and hosting of a domain name of your choosing, (2) a small amount of storage on a server to do with as you please, and (3) an email forwarding service based on your hosting name. It's usually a package deal.

So all the options are open to you:
    - use the storage space, or not. If you use it, use it for a web site/web page (why not?), or even just an online copy of your CV (wouldn't recommend that, but hey! It's possible).
    - use your "own" email address (which you can get forwarded to your "normal" email address. Usually hosting providers offer either a clear manual how to do that, or a full service without even any customer interference.

Did you already have a domain name in mind?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Badabing badaboom.
    Go Ant! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think email-only hosting exists as well.
    Kazoo
  2. Martijn wrote
    Did you already have a domain name in mind?

Yes, I do. But in this economic climate I would like to keep as much of the competitive advantage as I can!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, you know, I didn't have much design on JobHopScot.co.uk anyway... wink
  3. Martijn wrote
    Oh, you know, I didn't have much design on JobHopScot.co.uk anyway... wink

Martijn, you're shining a bright light in quite a dark place!
    kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    beer

(We are still all rooting for you. You know that. Whatever we can do, we will. smile )
  4. beer

BTW, cheers to you also Anthony!

As long as it's relatively simple then it's something to look into.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    :tipmyhat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    look at the options of wordpress
    listen to more classical music!