• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited
    Crap title and I'll change it if anyone comes up with better.

This is just a thread where I thought people could link clips that might interest others, whether it's film music, pop music, whatever....

This track is by obscure* Finnish artist Pekka Pohjola, it's very gentle and features some lovely harpsicord.

HANDS CALMING THE WATER

*at least obscure here in the UK anyway.

p.s. Most of you should recognise the signature of a famous guest artist on this piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    Andrew Pearce just uploaded this to YouTube. It's called "Celtic Warrior" and is one of the bonus tracks on his Cinema Symphony album. If you don't own this album I highly recommend you pick it up from MovieScore Media. It's one of my all time favorites.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote

The Kokodezil Music Channel.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Andrew Pearce just uploaded this to YouTube. It's called "Celtic Warrior" and is one of the bonus tracks on his Cinema Symphony album. If you don't own this album I highly recommend you pick it up from MovieScore Media. It's one of my all time favorites.

-Erik-

Agreed ! A superb album! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, Pekka Pohjola is pretty well known up here (Norway). Lovely music, often very Zappa-inspired. He's had a long career in Finnish prog rock, if memory serves.

Let me guess...the guest performer is Mike Oldfield?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Actually, Pekka Pohjola is pretty well known up here (Norway). Lovely music, often very Zappa-inspired. He's had a long career in Finnish prog rock, if memory serves.

That's good to know, I really enjoy his stuff but I'm sure if you asked 99.999% of the population here you'd just get a blank stare.

Did you recognise the more famous guest artist on that piece?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Let me guess...the guest performer is Mike Oldfield?

I see you beat me to the edit wink beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Kokodezil Music Channel.

Yeah, keep mentioning his name Gilles, you know what'll happen rolleyes wink
  3. I'm counting on it.

And you think 'Youtube' in the topic title won't lure him back here?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm counting on it.

And you think 'Youtube' in the topic title won't lure him back here?

Actually it's impossible, only Marcel and myself can conjure it by naming him 5 times.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN

Gorgeous and incredibly dreamy Kate Bush song, very reminicent of ZERO 7. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Andrew Pearce just uploaded this to YouTube. It's called "Celtic Warrior" and is one of the bonus tracks on his Cinema Symphony album.

Very cool piece.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I find this tv theme quite amazing.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Rian wrote
    I find this tv theme quite amazing.

I'm not impressed, there's no real hook in that 40 seconds. Oh, and why does some idiot have to call this a song? crazy rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This is a really amazing, butt-kicking piece. Composed by Toshihiko Sahashi for the Gundam anime series, and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Few people seem to be aware of this extraordinary album and I recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys powerful, orchestral music.

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A little too large and muscular and brassy for my taste these days, but that Pearce guy clearly knows his way around pastiche and orchestra.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of TV themes, this is one of my alltime favourites, composed by the under-appreciated Gavin Greenaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-gsQf_F-I
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A little too large and muscular and brassy for my taste these days, but that Pearce guy clearly knows his way around pastiche and orchestra.

rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nothing wrong with being a good pastiche composer, Erik. In fact, many of the best film composers are (having to be able to tap into many different styles and expressions).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

rolleyes

I like it too Erik but I thought Thor's comment was a fair one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    When most film music fans use that word it comes off more negative than positive.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pastiche?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    When most film music fans use that word it comes off more negative than positive.

-Erik-

Yeah, I think homage is a better word, but I don't think Thor meant it as a negative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah, I think homage is a better word, but I don't think Thor meant it as a negative.

Yeah... I agree. It's just that I've seen the the word use in so many negative ways on other boards... almost like slapping the composer in the face... that a red flag goes up any time I see it used.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know what you mean, I feel the same way everytime someone uses the word song to describe a purely instrumental piece.
  4. EDIT: ALL LINKS FIXED (1-30-13)

Two or three cues from Silvestri's "Judge Dredd", edited to make a heck of a suite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpiE9t4 … 4zKbE57_Js

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
    Robert Duncan
    "Chosen"

Final dramatic cue that ended the series. Over seven minutes long. He's gotten crappy TV series and lack-luster sequel films, since this. Wasted talent. His website is under perpetual re-design.

One of my favorite TV themes: "FX: The Series", by Emmy winning composer Christophe Beck.

Something fun

"The Inner Light".

The FULL version of a piece of music that was used in a commercial a few years back: HERE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010 edited
    Nice thread. smile

Cheers to Earth (or A toast to Earth) by Takefumi Haketa, theme from a TV documentary series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGu7NhU3gw&fmt=18

Maybe you'll enjoy this if you like E.S. Posthumus and such...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010
    If this doesn't bring KOKO back, nothing ever will.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Yup, we don't have enough clowns around here.

Not counting me of course. dizzy