• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    In the movie...nicht, not as good as the original.

On CD, hell yes! cool

Sorry Ant, I think The Lost World works better on album and on film, but then, I've never been much of a fan of the Jurassic Park theme.

shocked

I'm very happy with the theme in the movie, but the Jurassic Park CD is a struggle to get through.

Just move T-Rex Rescue And Finale and Incident At Isla Nublar into a playlist with TLW and you're sorted.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

On CD, hell yes! cool

Sorry Ant, I think The Lost World works better on album and on film, but then, I've never been much of a fan of the Jurassic Park theme.

shocked

Please note I didn't say I don't like it, just not much of a fan compared to how many people love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

On CD, hell yes! cool

shocked

I'm very happy with the theme in the movie, but the Jurassic Park CD is a struggle to get through.

Just move T-Rex Rescue And Finale and Incident At Isla Nublar into a playlist with TLW and you're sorted.

True, one of the worst releases of best scores I've ever heard. The score is fantastic, but the way the album is sequenced is simply... sad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol. Though I much prefer Prince Caspian over LWW actually. Can't wait for Arnold's score to the third.

David Arnold's doing the next one?!?!?!?

Can I just say one thing: FINALLY!!!!!!!! This'll be his first truly fun score since The Musketeer. I HOPE he explores this possibility to the fullest.

NP: Max Mad Beyond Thunderdome (Tadlow 2CD), Maurice Jarre

Okay, I'd never heard this score, but I looked at the year (1985) and the composer (Maurice Jarre) and the subject matter (science-fiction) and I naturally assumed it was doing to be two hours of droning electronics overcooked with ondes martenot (like The Year of Living Dangerously). It does, after all, fall within the composer's experimental period where he churned out many such scores. But I'm instead completely surprised to find another classic highly-melodic Jarre masterpiece! The kind that'll just get better with re-listening. Wow! I can surely forgive Jarre for his experimental phase as long as there's melodic wonders like this in his canon.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    WP: Mao's Last Dancer by Christopher Gordon

Wow, another gem of Gordon. I'm glad that still some composers dare to deliver something rewarding. Even though the sound is distinctly eastern due to the various instruments, Gordon doesn't dismiss his style whatsoever, and the few moments in which he unleashes his brassy style are top notch material. And what a brilliant final track (this track alone makes me want to see the movie)

Absolutely fantastic, gorgeous score. One of the best scores i heard these years!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol.

wave

beerbiggrin

Count me in!!!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    I think Prince Caspian takes the LWW themes and develops them even further in a good way. The album representation is a bit misleading since it makes it sound like a rehash of the previous score, while actually there are quite some notable new themes and proper development of the older ones. It's noticed better in the 3 CD recording sessions version. smile

Sounds like an interesting sequel score. I shall have to look into it. smile

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    WP: Mao's Last Dancer by Christopher Gordon

Wow, another gem of Gordon. I'm glad that still some composers dare to deliver something rewarding. Even though the sound is distinctly eastern due to the various instruments, Gordon doesn't dismiss his style whatsoever, and the few moments in which he unleashes his brassy style are top notch material. And what a brilliant final track (this track alone makes me want to see the movie)

Absolutely fantastic, gorgeous score. One of the best scores i heard these years!

Agreed totally and utterly. That said, the album does have some less interesting tracks. But with proper programming, it's an extraordinary listen.

Peter smile
  2. Ironically most of the less interesting tracks are some of the greatest music ever written (Strauss, Mozart, etc), but they just don't sit alongside Gordon's (eclectic) score well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Started CD1 (skipped the song), finished it, and started CD1 again of "In Search of Peace" (Lee Holdridge").
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    NP: Prince of Persia, The Sands of Time, Harry Gregson-Williams

First spin. Verdict is still out but this really could become one of my favourite HGW of late. One thing I must mention: "Ostrich Race" just played and I swear there's one or two places in that short track where it came THAT CLOSE to becoming a blatant John Powell lift! Not that I mind. Powell's a master, why not emulate him?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol. Though I much prefer Prince Caspian over LWW actually. Can't wait for Arnold's score to the third.

David Arnold's doing the next one?!?!?!?

Can I just say one thing: FINALLY!!!!!!!! This'll be his first truly fun score since The Musketeer. I HOPE he explores this possibility to the fullest.

Okay, I'd never heard this score, but I looked at the year (1985) and the composer (Maurice Jarre) and the subject matter (science-fiction) and I naturally assumed it was doing to be two hours of droning electronics overcooked with ondes martenot (like The Year of Living Dangerously). It does, after all, fall within the composer's experimental period where he churned out many such scores. But I'm instead completely surprised to find another classic highly-melodic Jarre masterpiece! The kind that'll just get better with re-listening. Wow! I can surely forgive Jarre for his experimental phase as long as there's melodic wonders like this in his canon.

punk beer

And obviously you've never seen any of my posts banging on about this score. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    one eyed-jacks from friedhofer.
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  4. The Great Composers: Georges Delerue compilation. Great stuff! I especially love the suites from Memories of Me, Platoon, Rich and Famous, Agnes of God, and while Beaches sounds like the epitome of elevator music for the first part, when the whole orchestra picks up that theme it's so wonderful! (Even the elevator part is so catchy I usually have it stuck in my head for days after hearing it).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHERS STONE - John Williams

Haven't played this in a long time cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : George Of The Jungle - Marc Shaiman

Fun little score ...

"WATCH OUT for that tree !" dizzy
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    Complete. Needed.

NP : Lost: The Final Season - Michael Giacchino

Unhappy with the editing on the first track, but hopefully the rest will be better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARCRASH - John Barry

How the hell Barry came to score this extremely bad and poorly made Star Wars rip off I just don't know ( tricked? at gun point? ) but the score is great fun with a lot of Bondian moments, I like it a lot though I doubt anyone will ever get Barry to say it's an old favourite. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    NP: Iron Man - Ramin Djawadi

The more I listen the more I like this score. The complete version really shows how condensed the official release was. More thematic materials through out, though I never really minded the IM theme as much as most detractors. If anything, this score really defines Ramin's action style, as you can hear some of his Prison Break TV scoring and the impetus for the later Clash of the Titans.

I find myself comparing this score to Jablonsky's Transformers score, where in the official release for Transformers showcased all of the best parts, while there were better things not heard in the IM release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote

How the hell Barry came to score this extremely bad and poorly made Star Wars rip off I just don't know ( tricked? at gun point? ) but the score is great fun with a lot of Bondian moments, I like it a lot though I doubt anyone will ever get Barry to say it's an old favourite. wink

Well , I'm NOT affraid to say it's one of my personal favourite Barry scores !
    I don't think any of it will be played at the upcoming John Barry in Concert though ... wink
    And the film is sooo bad it's actually fun to watch ... or maybe I watched it for the gorgeous Caroline Munro ... Stella Star *sigh* ... Caroline signed my Starcrash poster a few years ago and asked me what I thought of the film now ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well , I'm NOT affraid to say it's one of my personal favourite Barry scores !
    I don't think any of it will be played at the upcoming John Barry in Concert though ... wink
    And the film is sooo bad it's actually fun to watch ... or maybe I watched it for the gorgeous Caroline Munro ... Stella Star *sigh* ... Caroline signed my Starcrash poster a few years ago and asked me what I thought of the film now ... biggrin

You're right there's two things going for the film, John Barry's score and the goddess that is Caroline Monro who I've also met and she is still lovely and a very friendly person.

and yes, the film is sooooo bad it's fun to watch biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

punk beer

And obviously you've never seen any of my posts banging on about this score. wink

I guess not! Wow, I'll pop it in again soon, after I'm done with this other Jarre gem:

NP: Shout at the Devil, Maurice Jarre

Short, some weird parts that don't blend with the rest, but wow, fun! Reminds me of Top Secret in parts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010 edited
    spin flash flash flash flash flash spin

This should not have happened!? How did Now Playing XXXIV sneak in, going over a 100 pages so I put up the new thread NP XXXV ( which I've just changed to NP XXXVII )

Darn it! This one'll have to be closed prematurely. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    In fact, it was D's fault!

Let's get a posse together and lynch him along with this thread! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    confused

dizzy

I unnerstand notheeng. sad

But I'll hop around closing assorted threads to re-establish a semblance of control.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn