• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010
    NP: Eclipse (Shore)

it's ok. Nothing memorable but enjoyable. it's a way between Burwell and Desplat works.

It's like New Moon mixed with LOTR. I appreciate Shore trying to emulate Desplat's love theme.

Of course, how it's a teenager movie, the electric guitars are there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't appreciate Shore trying to emulate Desplat's love theme! If he's going to bother to go there at all, he should use the actual theme (did he think the orchestrations were too complex for him??) Otherwise, it just sounds like a cheap rip-off. It's nowhere near the same quality.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ratatouille Michael Giacchino

I do have a soft spot for his Lost music because I'm a fan of the show, but I'd wager that this is the best thing he's ever written. Just wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I do have a soft spot for his Lost music because I'm a fan of the show, but I'd wager that this is the best thing he's ever written. Just wonderful.

Probably his best film score but I still stand by the original Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy as the best thing he has ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Flying Horsemen - James Horner

Sensational! Inspiring! Emotional!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I've gotta agree with you. Although when I think Giacchino I immediately think LOST.
  1. Windtalkers - James Horner

A lot of filler in this one, but some of the action music is pretty cool. The last cue is yet another great suite that really lets the main theme flourish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Windtalkers - James Horner

A lot of filler in this one, but some of the action music is pretty cool. The last cue is yet another great suite that really lets the main theme flourish.

yeah

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

iTunes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

iTunes?

http://www.asb.tv/store/index.php?act=d … DHORNPKG01

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, okay. Thanks. smile (That's a LOT of money. But it's Horner... and I love Horner. love )
  2. NP: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Steve Jablonsky & Penka Kouneva

It's my guilty pleasure, this type of stuff. Mindless but very listenable. RC-heavy, clichéd Eastern orchestrations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're a bad person, Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Probably his best film score but I still stand by the original Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy as the best thing he has ever written!

-Erik-

I couldn't agree more.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

I'd agree. Brilliant stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

Love it. Both sides of Newman are here (the introspective beauty AND the big themes). Haven't seen much of the latter from him in the last few years.
  3. Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    My Desplat survey continues with...

NP: Birth - Alexandre Desplat

I'm about halfway through this score and I think I've heard enough of his music to now say that this is pretty much typical Desplat -- mostly quaint and old-fashioned but very much engaging. smile

This was the one which really made me fall for Desplat. I still think it's arguably his best (this, or The Painted Veil).

In my opinion, his best was Benjamin Button...with Lust, Caution being a very close second.
  4. Southall wrote

Love it. Both sides of Newman are here (the introspective beauty AND the big themes). Haven't seen much of the latter from him in the last few years.

His absence from Hollywood is very strongly felt. sad Hopefully The Adjustment Bureau will be a stunning return to form...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote

One of my favourites of his, for the very same reason.

NP: AN UNFINISHED LIFE - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

I'd love to know the reason why this was rejected. It's superb stuff.
  5. As far as I know? (James has the original Varese release, so he knows possibly better) The film spent a year in the can. Then they came back to it, re-edited it (not sure about that) and, not sure if with the director's participation, Deborah Lurie rescored it for the new release.

I have a hunch that Hallstrom didn't participate in the rescoring process, though Lurie did score his next movie. His process is pretty interesting, look at this:

Cider House Rules - Rachel Portman
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman
    Shipping News - Rachel Portman replaced with Jerry Goldsmith (out because of appendicitis and a surgery), then Chris Young
    An Unfinished Life - Chris Young replaced with Deborah Lurie
    Dear John - Deborah Lurie
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I'd agree. Brilliant stuff.

I AGREE.

Southall wrote

I AGREE.

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    My Desplat survey continues with...

NP: Birth - Alexandre Desplat

I'm about halfway through this score and I think I've heard enough of his music to now say that this is pretty much typical Desplat -- mostly quaint and old-fashioned but very much engaging. smile

This was the one which really made me fall for Desplat. I still think it's arguably his best (this, or The Painted Veil).

In my opinion, his best was Benjamin Button...with Lust, Caution being a very close second.

I AGREE WITH MUCH OF THIS, BUT I'M NOT SURE A SCORE SO DOMINATED BY AN ELECTRIC BASS PULSE AND MINIMALIST IDEAS AS BIRTH IS COULD EVER BE DESCRIBED AS 'OLD FASHIONED'. THE WALTZ DOESN'T APPEAR THAT MUCH. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARK ISHAM - "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans"

Thomas Newman meets Isham's BLACK DAHLIA. Dark, noir, moody, angry and trippy at places. A clever score with character.

I love Black Dahlia so I should look up for this one for sure. I was listening to his Invincible suite that he posted on his site as a gift at Christmastime and boy oh boy, does he know how to write for horns.

NP Cuba Patrick Williams

An old fashioned score with latin grooves and acoustic guitar. I like it a lot for late evening/ chill out time.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

iTunes?

http://www.asb.tv/store/index.php?act=d … DHORNPKG01

-Erik-

3 adjectives that tells me to put this on top of my priority music list to get!
  7. Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

Desplat scoring an action movie?? With recorders?? Who'd have thought?? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I don't appreciate Shore trying to emulate Desplat's love theme! If he's going to bother to go there at all, he should use the actual theme (did he think the orchestrations were too complex for him??) Otherwise, it just sounds like a cheap rip-off. It's nowhere near the same quality.

That solo piano piece is really childish; that what's bothered me the most. The opening and closing cues are ok.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

Desplat scoring an action movie?? With recorders?? Who'd have thought?? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Listen to FIREWALL too, damn fine action score by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARK ISHAM - "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans"

Thomas Newman meets Isham's BLACK DAHLIA. Dark, noir, moody, angry and trippy at places. A clever score with character.

I love Black Dahlia so I should look up for this one for sure. I was listening to his Invincible suite that he posted on his site as a gift at Christmastime and boy oh boy, does he know how to write for horns.

NP Cuba Patrick Williams

An old fashioned score with latin grooves and acoustic guitar. I like it a lot for late evening/ chill out time.

He has a way with brass indeed; he has diverse and rich musical background; he's one of those few composers who have really enriched the american sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Steve Jablonsky & Penka Kouneva

It's my guilty pleasure, this type of stuff. Mindless but very listenable. RC-heavy, clichéd Eastern orchestrations.

Loved it too; Transformers meets Middle East; a sucker for this kind of Jablonskisms here smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

Listen to FIREWALL too, damn fine action score by him.

Mmm....Firewall is ok, but Largo Winch is much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The A-Team - Alan Silvestri

Way more enjoyable than G.I. Joe. Though that score does serve as a good complement to this one.