• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    My thoughts after the first week in TDF:

- too many crashes, too many great riders are out sad
    - the car and motorcycle drivers need to be more careful
    - Contador had bad luck, a lot of crashes for him
    - Cadel Evans is in good shape
    - the "bad boy" Mark Kevendish is the best sprinter in the world
    - Thor Hushovd did a good job keeping so many days the yellow jersey
    - I hope Vinokourov is going to be OK and be back in the Tour next year. If this was his last TDF than I'm so sorry for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011 edited
    My thoughts after the first week in TDF:

- too many crashes, too many great riders are out sad
    - the car and motorcycle drivers need to be more careful
    - Contador had bad luck, a lot of crashes for him
    - Cadel Evans is in good shape
    - the "bad boy" Mark Kevendish is the best sprinter in the world
    - Thor Hushovd did a good job keeping so many days the yellow jersey
    - I hope Vinokourov is going to be OK and be back in the Tour next year. If this was his last TDF then I'm so sorry for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    What a great win for Thor Hushovd! Most awesome win for him ever, even, probably. Glad to see him win and not a lesser Frenchman; they won enough stages in the Tour last year anyway smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    Absolutely! That's like the craziest stage ever...for Hushovd and for any Norwegian ever (except maybe Dag Otto Lauritzen's stage win in 1987, which was also a mountain stage).

Incredible performance, and what a dramaturgy! The breakaways, the climb, the downhill race, the catching up right before the finish line. This had everything!

Here's to The Other Thor! beer (non-alcoholic for the time being)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    Great stage, indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    Vanendert for the win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011 edited
    Indeed. I must admit that I'm not too familiar with him, though.

Disappointing between the overall candidates today. They all seem too tired, and no one dared to breakaway.

But Voeckler continues to impress me!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    He had a large share of bad luck with injuries previously in his career. He's been an excellent companion of Gilbert this year. You realize for us Belgians this is huge, right - and much more spectacular than yesterday's stage? smile First Belgian to win a mountain stage in 30 years. What a year it has already been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I can definitely see it's huge for you guys, just like it was for us yesterday.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    And by the way, another Frenchman taken back in the last kilometres - I guess the organization tempted fate by giving out virtually all their "combative" of the day prizes to Frenchmen smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    Enjoyed the scenery.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    Another fantastic stage for Norway. Thor wins again, in front of Edvald Boasson Hagen and the half-Norwegian Raider Hesjedal on third!! It's unbelievable.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Yeah, the non-sprint stages have been great so far. Great names too - no lucky nobodies winning a stage, except maybe that guy Costa (?), but he accomplished that himself. I wish they'd eliminate more of the sprint stages, by the way. Keep one, and then one in Paris. It would be a disgrace if Cavendish caught up with Eddy's record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Yeah, the non-sprint stages have been great so far. Great names too - no lucky nobodies winning a stage, except maybe that guy Costa (?), but he accomplished that himself. I wish they'd eliminate more of the sprint stages, by the way. Keep one, and then one in Paris. It would be a disgrace if Cavendish caught up with Eddy's record.

I agree.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    Oh man, Edvald Boasson Hagen wins again!! shocked

This is too much for such a small nation as Norway. We're seeing history in the making!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited
    Norway has 2 riders and 4 victories!

The last two stages was great with Contador' attacks, finally he is feeling good, this is the Contador I like! I think he will atack again in the Alps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited
    What an amazing performance by Andy Schleck today. But I was almost more impressed by Voeckler, who YET AGAIN managed to defend the yellow, against all odds.

Also surprised to see Contador fall off near the top. I think he lost his chances on the overall today.

Incredible stage too....climbing to almost 2700 meters with little oxygen and extremely steep stretches. That's higher than Norway's highest mountain!! shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    Best stage in YEARS in the Tour. Finally one of the favourites stepped up and dared to attack from such a distance. Andy really deserves to win this now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Best stage in YEARS in the Tour. Finally one of the favourites stepped up and dared to attack from such a distance. Andy really deserves to win this now.

Great job by Cadel Evans too. He took initiative when no one else dared to follow. He's another hero today, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Certainly. Still, the Schlecks attacked most in this Tour - it would be great to have Andy win. But I wouldn't mind Cadel either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    I'm not the biggest fan of Andy Schleck but I liked his attack. Evans did a great job, too. I'm disappointed by Contador but I think he is tired because of the Giro and had pain because of his knee injury.

Voeckler is my hero, he is a fighter! I'm glad he kept the yellow jersey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    So Contador has been excluded for two years due to doping...and he's losing the 2010 win.

Very disappointing. I was so in awe of him as an almost unbeatable cycling machine. Now, not so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    Sad news. He was my favorite after Lance Armstrong retired. This doesn't look good for the spectacle of this year Tour de France.

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012 edited
    Cristian wrote
    Sad news. He was my favorite after Lance Armstrong retired. This doesn't look good for the spectacle of this year Tour de France.

slant

I thought he had the potential to be a new Miguel Indurain (who is my own favourite, never cared so much for Armstrong, for some reason).

Even if Contador returns -- some say as early as August this year since the verdict has retroactive validity -- he will always have that mark of shame attached to him. Doping-convicted Michael Rasmussen tried to return to the sport, but quickly faded away because of that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    Thor wrote
    So Contador has been excluded for two years due to doping...and he's losing the 2010 win.

Very disappointing. I was so in awe of him as an almost unbeatable cycling machine. Now, not so much.

Surely you mean, doping-cycling machine smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    The question is: who is clean? You can't climb mountains and be at a high level only with orange juice. Cycling is one of the hardest sports and to be at a high level you have to get your hands dirty. There is all this pressure from the sponsors, fans, media. I'm not saying that I agree with doping but I understand the cyclist who do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Too few posts in this thread this year.

But surely, Bradley Wiggins has achieved one of the greatest athletic achievements in British history. Prior to him, there hadn't even been a Brit on the podium, as far as I know. And now you didn't only win the yellow jersey, but took a double as well -- with Chris Froome on the second. How is this received in Britain? It's almost as big as if Andy Murray had won the Wimbledon, right?

Wasn't much excitement, though. Sky was totally dominant throughout -- including a great performance by our own Edvald Boasson Hagen.

Peter Sagan came out of the blue to take the green jersey, even though Cavendish is still the superior sprinter (as proven on Champs-Elysées yesterday).

And of course, Thomas Voeckler continues his stride as French national hero with the dotted jersey.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited
    I'm not overly interested Thor but you are correct that it IS big news here and he is now a british sporting legend.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Big news indeed. Especially on Sky News!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    One of the greatest athletic achievements in British history? Not sure I'd quite go *that* far. It's cool he won and all, but, you know... it's only cycling.