• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    Jon Broxton wrote
    One of the greatest athletic achievements in British history? Not sure I'd quite go *that* far. It's cool he won and all, but, you know... it's only cycling.

What do you mean it's only cycling?

Cycling is the hardest sport in the world and one of the most beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    Too few posts in this thread this year.

But surely, Bradley Wiggins has achieved one of the greatest athletic achievements in British history. Prior to him, there hadn't even been a Brit on the podium, as far as I know. And now you didn't only win the yellow jersey, but took a double as well -- with Chris Froome on the second. How is this received in Britain? It's almost as big as if Andy Murray had won the Wimbledon, right?

Wasn't much excitement, though. Sky was totally dominant throughout -- including a great performance by our own Edvald Boasson Hagen.

Peter Sagan came out of the blue to take the green jersey, even though Cavendish is still the superior sprinter (as proven on Champs-Elysées yesterday).

And of course, Thomas Voeckler continues his stride as French national hero with the dotted jersey.

Team Sky is indeed very strong, Bradley Wiggins is the best at time trial but he doensn't attack in the mountains like Armstrong or Contador.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    One of the greatest athletic achievements in British history? Not sure I'd quite go *that* far. It's cool he won and all, but, you know... it's only cycling.

What do you mean it's only cycling?

Cycling is the hardest sport in the world and one of the most beautiful.

It's also one of the biggest. So yeah, definitely up there.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    It's also one of the biggest. So yeah, definitely up there.

I'm not sure that's true either. I can think of a dozen sports which are more popular, globally, than cycling. I always found cycling to be somewhat dull actually. Nice scenery, but as a spectator sport I only really find it exciting for the last few miles when they're actually trying to break away from the peloton. Plus all the doping issues make me question it's overall validity as an actual competitive event.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    yeah

Though your last point Jon can apply to nearly every sporting event.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Football, Formula 1, tennis, boxing, rugby, golf, cricket, ice hockey, basketball... I'd argue that all these sports are more popular, on a global scale, than cycling... and then you have American football and baseball...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Football, Formula 1, tennis, boxing, rugby, golf, cricket, ice hockey, basketball... I'd argue that all these sports are more popular, on a global scale, than cycling... and then you have American football and baseball...

Yes to some and no to some. Rugby, cricket, hockey -- in particular -- are mostly prevalent in certain regions. Same with American football and baseball. But football, tennis, boxing, golf, basketball -- definitely big, global sports too. I don't have any statistics, but I would count cycling among those.

I used to find it somewhat boring too, but after I read up on team tactics and various other background info, I was quite hooked -- throughout a whole stage, not just the finish. I don't let the doping stuff bother me much. Every sport has 'cheaters', and it seems like they're pretty good at weeding out the bad apples these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Football, Formula 1, tennis, boxing, rugby, golf, cricket, ice hockey, basketball... I'd argue that all these sports are more popular, on a global scale, than cycling... and then you have American football and baseball...

Watch a big mountain stage on Tour de France. See how many people are on the road. About 500 000 was on a stage at Alpe D'huez. To be there so close with the riders this is something special only found in cycling.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3szXS_R … ure=relmfu
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Watch a big mountain stage on Tour de France. See how many people are on the road. About 500 000 was on a stage at Alpe D'huez. To be there so close with the riders this is something special only found in cycling.

A bit TOO close at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Cristian wrote

Oh, I don't doubt a lot of people go out and watch it, but I don't think going to stand on the side of the road to watch a peloton ride by for - what - three minutes? - really counts as being a fan of the sport. When the Amgen Tour of California rode past my house (literally, past my house!) I went and stood on the corner to watch them. And, yeah, it was kinda cool to see Levi Leipheimer and Chris Horner up close, but it took merely a few seconds for them to go by, and overall that doesn't make me a "fan" of the sport. It's certainly very different from actually going to a stadium to watch a competitive team sport for a couple of hours, or to follow Tiger Woods round a golf course for three hours.

Also, the "only in cycling" thing about getting close to the athletes isn't true either. I've had a proper conversation with David Beckham at a Los Angeles Galaxy game. Fans in golf stand within a couple of feet of the players, and often interact with them *as part of the game* if balls go out of bounds. Boxers high-five fans on their way to the ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss the sport... I just think you're over-stating things by making it out to be as popular as you think it is.
  3. I do think that the Tour de France is hyped up beyond belief. I only recently that there are Tours throughout the year but they don't get much coverage.

Outside the French tour there is no interest at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do think that the Tour de France is hyped up beyond belief. I only recently that there are Tours throughout the year but they don't get much coverage.

Well, speak for yourself. Up here, it's huge.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do think that the Tour de France is hyped up beyond belief. I only recently that there are Tours throughout the year but they don't get much coverage.

Obviously, I speak for myself. I don't have to put "IMHO" in front of everything I write?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Obviously, I speak for myself. I don't have to put "IMHO" in front of everything I write?

No, no. You're also 'allowed' to speak for your fellow countrymen, by the way. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thanks! wink

But I am not sure that they'd want someone like me as their spokesperson!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012
    Armstrong has been stripped of all his Tour victories. This probably is be the most disgraceful episode in the cycling sport.

At least someone did its job well (USADA).
    Kazoo
  6. I wonder if those who finished second will be awarded the victories? And if Armstrong will have to repay any money received because of his victory.

I also have a feeling that his victory over cancer was also drug enhanced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    Anyone following the Tour this year?

What a great effort from Chris Froome -- first when he smothered the rest of his competitors yesterday and then again today when he defended all the attacks on the yellow jersey in the Pyrenées.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Zero interest in the French open drug scene.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote

I watch the TDF every year smile

Yesterday stage was the most spectacular so far. Great effort from Froome, he was alone, but at least the tour is not dead yet. I am still waiting for Contador to attack on a mountain stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    Cristian wrote
    Thor wrote

I watch the TDF every year smile

Yesterday stage was the most spectacular so far. Great effort from Froome, he was alone, but at least the tour is not dead yet. I am still waiting for Contador to attack on a mountain stage.

Contador still leaves a sour taste in my mouth after the drug verdict, but there's no doubt he's an awesome cyclist regardless.
    I am extremely serious.