• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    So the World Cup is nearing its end, but another great sporting even has already started - the Tour de France!

I used to think this was boring as hell, but I've come to love it immensely over the years, as there are now a lot more things happening ALONG THE WAY compared to before.

It will be interesting to see the battle between Armstrong on Contador for the yellow jersey, especially when they hit the mountains. Cancellara also seems strong, as he just took it back today.

However, the great highlight for us Norwegians today was the superb stage win and finish of my namesake Thor Hushovd (who, incidentally, is also from my small hometown)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    I am afraid i am more interested in more interesting sports, like the nfl.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My dad and one of his friends are driving over to France tomorrow to ride some of the stages the riders have/will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    My dad and one of his friends are driving over to France tomorrow to ride some of the stages the riders have/will.

I hope they're finished with it before the actual riders arrive. Or is your father aiming to win a stage? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    He's filling for Lance Armstrong. wink

Btw, was this guy his brother?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    YES.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am afraid i am more interested in more interesting sports, like the nfl.

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    biggrin
  1. no bloody interest in cycling, unlike most of the Belgians apparently when they passed (sorry fell) in Brussels and Antwerpen and Spa shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the bit where they cycle through the Alps*.......and that's about it really.

*I just like watching the fantastic scenery going by
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Right. So I'll mostly be talking to myself in this thread, then?

Business as usual. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Business as usual. smile

For this very reason I have never contemplated threads about Snooker or Boxing wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Business as usual. smile

For this very reason I have never contemplated threads about Snooker or Boxing wink

Boxing, I would able to say a few words.

Snooker, not so much. It's basically just something I watch on the telly on a Sunday afternoon after a night of heavy drinking. Very therapeutic.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    Watching Snooker is my opium. cool
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote

Business as usual. smile

I am a huge cycling fan, and follow the Tour closely. It will be very hard for the Tour to top this year's Giro d'Italia for unexpected finishes and excitement, but the Tour is by far the biggest race and that just magnifies all the triumphs and heartbreaks.

Today's stage on the cobbles was wild. I adore the spring classics, and this was like having a mini Paris-Roubaix as part of the Tour. This "flat" stage pretty much took Lance out of GC contention barring something wild, even before they hit the mountains.

Cancellara is definitely strong - the man is an expert at time trialling and the spring classics, but he isn't really a climber and isn't expected to contend for the yellow once they hit the mountains. His teammate Andy Schleck came in second last year, and Cance will ride for Andy in the mountains (just like he sheparded Andy over the cobbles today).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Andy can hold up now that his brother is out with a broken collarbone.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    Nice to see Cav get so emotional over the win. He's had a hard year and clearly he was feeling the pressure. It's funny what different personalities he and Thor have.

Have you ever heard of Tour de Schmalz? It's a day by day summary of the stages in a very sarcastic, often funny style. The writer (Schmalz) has a bit of a man crush on Thor and always refers to him as Thor Smash! He did an interview with Thor once in which they tried to explain the whole Thor Smash! thing, and Thor just laughed.

http://nyvelocity.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    Too bad about Lance Armstrong today. He's definitely out of it now, even though he may still win a stage (should he decide to continue).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    I hope he does; it would certainly not be undeserved.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    It's definitely down to a two man race for the win now. The US commentators were guessing Andy will need about a two minute lead going into the time trial to win, and I think it will be hard to get that. Injuries have played such a role, I hope the final is determined by an injury to either Andy or Bert.

Have you all seen the Specialized commercial with Andy and Bert? It's pretty cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPq0hDdDhs
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Unless Contador takes like four minutes on Shleck in one of the two following stages, it will be the most undeserved Tour win ever. I can't believe the luck of the Spaniards in sports this year, damnit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Yes, definitely. Contador clearly feels Schleck is a bigger challenge than he can take, otherwise he wouldn't have broken the gentleman's agreement today. Still, I think - or at least hope - Andy will strike back during the upcoming two stages.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    Are we the only ones here following the Thor, Tour? smile
    Thought that was pretty popular here in Europe.

Too bad Armstrong - or a Belgian for that matter - didn't win today. I don't quite understand why they put 4 cols in the stage today, and then have the arrivée 60km further. Probably to give life to a successful escape and give a chance to the non GCs, but it's still too bad. Such a promising start!
    Contador won this yesterday though; too bad it couldn't happen in a more exciting way; all his competitors just fell away, literally or by bad luck.

Are there any noteworthy Norwegians in the Tour?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    fommes wrote
    Are there any noteworthy Norwegians in the Tour?

Yes. Thor Hushovd, who did a spectacular job today. Against all odds (seeing as he was sick and is a sprinter by nature), he managed to force himself up the mountains and even arrived before Contador and the other top guys. In so doing, he regained the green jersey from Petacchi. I hope he'll be able to keep it to the Champs Elysées now.

Another promising Norwegian in the tour is Edvald Boasson Hagen, on the Sky team, our new "hot shot". He's been the aid for Bradley Wiggins earlier in the tour, but Bradley is now out of it, so maybe Edvald be allowed freer reign. If he can take it, that is.

Oh yeah, and too bad Lance didn't make it. After the accidents, he deserved a stage win. If nothing else, to show that he still has it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    Ah yes of course I know Hagen and Hushovd. They're all Scandinavians to me! smile
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    Bert was booed again on the podium today, and after the podium presentation, French tv sort of asked Andy to tell fans not to boo. I'm still not really sure about Contador's move when Andy's chain locked. Part of Andy's time advantage was because of Contador's brake problems on stage 3, and nobody waited for him. Plus Menchov and Sanchez seemed to be going ahead and Bert couldn't let them just ride away.

But I'm rooting for Andy because I'd like to see a good rivalry between these two for years to come, and it's less fun if one person wins all the time. But I think Bert will gain a lot of time on Andy in the time trial. I hope Andy can hang onto second. Bjarne was suggesting Andy's time trial skills had improved, but he didn't show it in the prologue.

Bert and Andy weren't the only ones fighting. Nicholas Roche was fighting with someone on his own team. Did you see this article - he sure was mad!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/roche-f … -with-tyre

Thor was wonderful today! I really hope he keeps the green jersey. He's such a classy rider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    What a duel between Schleck and Contador up the Col de Tourmalet today! Schlech deserves credit for trying to get rid of his opponent, but Alberto is the stronger one. He has practically won the tour now, as he's usually much better than Andy in the tempo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Had he not had so much bad luck on Monday though, Contador wouldn't have had the yellow jersey yet, and would have tried attacking here, and I didn't see him getting rid of Schleck on the Tourmalet.
    So Contador wins this purely by being better at the tempo stage, and without winning a stage at all. Besides that, I don't see him as stronger in any other respect. Plus, he only attacked once in the whole Tour (last week). So I don't find he really deserved this at all. Just get rid of that stupid tempo stage next time; the Tour would be more exciting for sure.
    Stupid Spanish crowd was the 'icing on the cake'; and prevented any possible attacks in the last three kms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Had he not had so much bad luck on Monday though, Contador wouldn't have had the yellow jersey yet, and would have tried attacking here, and I didn't see him getting rid of Schleck on the Tourmalet.
    So Contador wins this purely by being better at the tempo stage, and without winning a stage at all. Besides that, I don't see him as stronger in any other respect. Plus, he only attacked once in the whole Tour (last week). So I don't find he really deserved this at all. Just get rid of that stupid tempo stage next time; the Tour would be more exciting for sure.
    Stupid Spanish crowd was the 'icing on the cake'; and prevented any possible attacks in the last three kms.

I agree that it's very unfortunate if the incident with Andy's chain (and Contador refusing to wait) is going to be the thing that decided this year's tour.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Bert certainly benefits from starting the time trial last, but I suspect he'll gain more time there than Andy lost from his chain.

Andy was oddly happy after this stage. He basically lost any chance for the yellow today, but he seemed genuinely happy which seemed a little odd for a guy talking about being fueled by revenge. He acknowledged in the interview that Bert let him cross the line first, but seemed thrille to have gotten the stage win that way. I was rooting for Andy (well actually I was rooting for Cadel, but that ship sailed two weeks ago), and was surprised at how content he seems. Maybe he just realizes he gave it his best today and couldn't shake Bert. Certainly it's a great accomplishment to finish on the podium at any grand tour.

Lots of respect for Samuel Sanchez for coming back from that crash to finish the stage and cross before Menchov. Cyclists are some tough athletes!