• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    No thread for this wonderful composer? biggrin

So i'll start it and i ask two questions while i'm there. What's his next big project after Earth (or Planet Earth)?

The second one is related to Earth. I posted the link on the former board and i post it again:

http://www.loveearth.com/uk/film

If you click on "About" and then "Earth's music" you can hear cues performed by the Berliner Philarmoniker Orchestra. There's also a picture of Fenton conducting.

Is there any Cd release planned for that version Earth (what I mean by "that version" is the one performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker)?

Thx!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing the link! I haven't even heard about this title. Hope there will be a CD release. (which is not that hard to get since most previous works of Fenton got one)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    A new Fenton score CD at last. I've never heard of the film (and based on the cast assume it's awful) but if it's an adventure movie then it should give Fenton a chance to flex his muscles a bit.

FOOL'S GOLD
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by George Fenton

Matthew McConaughey
    Kate Hudson

Part romantic comedy, part action adventure, Fool’s Gold stars Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, who had previously teamed on the romantic comedy hit How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Ben “Finn” Finnegan (Matthew McConaughey) is a good-natured, surf bum-turned-treasure hunter who is obsessed with finding the legendary 18th century Queen’s Dowry — 40 chests of exotic treasure that was lost at sea in 1715. In his quest, Finn has sunk everything he has, including his marriage to Tess Finnegan (Kate Hudson) and his more-rusty-than-trusty salvage boat, “Booty Calls.” Just as Tess has begun to rebuild her life, working aboard a mega-yacht owned by billionaire Nigel Honeycutt (Donald Sutherland), Finn discovers a vital clue to the treasure’s whereabouts. Certain that his luck will change with the newfound information, Finn maneuvers himself aboard Nigel’s yacht and, using his good-natured charm, convinces the tycoon and his Blackberry-wielding, celebutante daughter, Gemma (Alexis Dziena), to join him in the pursuit of the Spanish treasure. Against Tess’ better judgment, the search rekindles her love…of discovery. But they are not the only ones after the treasure. Finn’s mentor-turned-nemesis Moe Fitch (Ray Winstone) has also set out to claim the prize.

Warner Bros. opens Fool’s Gold on February 8.

Catalog #: 302 066 885 2
    Release Date: 03/11/08
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounds like Sahara all over again..

..what's Fentons action writing like? I don't have any of his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I might as well check it out then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've never really been a fan of Fenton (well apart the brilliant PLANET EARTH of course) 'cause none of his works i heard so far (again, with the above exception) did anything for me; let's see if this changes anything.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Isnt this a comedy? I remember seeing the trailer and it didnt look like an adventure movie...
    Not really sure this is going to show his skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah......i got it then, nothing to see here again rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I look forward to this score a lot.

If you want to try some REALLY good Fenton scores with more action and tension than your used to (Fenton is of course best known for his romantic scores), you HAVE to find a copy of Final Analysis. It was a fantastic score which was somewhat overshadowed by Basic Instinct when it came out... also Hero has its moments and a really breathtaking long-ish plain crash cue.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have it...i think? confused shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    Final Analysis is really, really Herrmannesque at times (as was We're No Angels) - it's a great score, Mikael's right.
  1. I've not heard FINAL ANALYSIS. Sometimes it's easy to consign a score to the trash along with a film that looks unremarkable.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Final Analysis is a great homage to Herrmann with a stunning main title and action climax, but it's tragically only 30 minutes long and would be very worthy of an expanded edition.
  2. Fenton is great for at least one instantly memorable and heartbreakingly beautiful theme per score. My favs are Dangerious Beauty-"The Verdict/End Titles" track contains a few of the most beautiful themes I've ever heard. My second favorite Fenton score is Memphis Belle. While, I don't like the integration of Danny Boy into the score his original themes are stunning. "The Final Mission" track is freakin' incredible! The themes towards the end of that track soar to angelic proportions that I almost faint. The track is almost out of control with awesomeness! Everyone should have these two scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Southall wrote
    Part romantic comedy, part action adventure, Fool’s Gold stars Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, who had previously teamed on the romantic comedy hit How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Ben “Finn” Finnegan (Matthew McConaughey) is a good-natured, surf bum-turned-treasure hunter who is obsessed with finding the legendary 18th century Queen’s Dowry — 40 chests of exotic treasure that was lost at sea in 1715. In his quest, Finn has sunk everything he has, including his marriage to Tess Finnegan (Kate Hudson) and his more-rusty-than-trusty salvage boat, “Booty Calls.” Just as Tess has begun to rebuild her life, working aboard a mega-yacht owned by billionaire Nigel Honeycutt (Donald Sutherland), Finn discovers a vital clue to the treasure’s whereabouts. Certain that his luck will change with the newfound information, Finn maneuvers himself aboard Nigel’s yacht and, using his good-natured charm, convinces the tycoon and his Blackberry-wielding, celebutante daughter, Gemma (Alexis Dziena), to join him in the pursuit of the Spanish treasure. Against Tess’ better judgment, the search rekindles her love…of discovery. But they are not the only ones after the treasure. Finn’s mentor-turned-nemesis Moe Fitch (Ray Winstone) has also set out to claim the prize.

Anyone notice how Varèse Sarabande now completely omits any description of the music on their forthcoming albums? Not that what they had before was very useful ("the epic score was written by blah-blah"), but these new announcements are really odd. They're in the business of selling music, not films - or?

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It sounds like all the stuff Varese put up is straight from the film companies. But I agree, even when they did ''describe'' the score it was actually quite comical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    moviescore wrote
    Anyone notice how Varèse Sarabande now completely omits any description of the music on their forthcoming albums?

I had noticed, and I had wondered whether that was anything to do with the criticism they used to get for over-hyping things.
  3. There's a nice middleground in there where you try to honestly describe your product. Real estate agents find something to say about every house they have to sell without calling them all 'mansions' / 'the chance of a lifetime'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a nice middleground in there where you try to honestly describe your product. Real estate agents find something to say about every house they have to sell without calling them all 'mansions' / 'the chance of a lifetime'.

I suspect there's a fair chance that a lot of that blurb is written before the music has even been recorded, so you'd only end up with the generic PR-speak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a nice middleground in there where you try to honestly describe your product. Real estate agents find something to say about every house they have to sell without calling them all 'mansions' / 'the chance of a lifetime'.

Totally agree. Varese could do the same without copying and pasting the same standard 5-6 sentences they have for all the scores they release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They could at least hire somebody to give the cd's a spin and write a couple of good descriptive sentences, like INTRADA does for example. Instead of being ridiculed.
  4. Yeah, I mean take a look at Mikael's label. You do get at least some sense of what those scores are like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly what i mean. And since varese is one of the major labels out there, they should REALLY consider changing this bit 'cause it's a huge downpoint if you ask me, having everyone quoting your "descriptions" around and laughing their asses off on your publicity stunts and then go on and removing them completely. Get a bit real and professional is what i say, it's the little details that make the real difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    Fool's Gold

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Format: CD Discs: 1
    The score for Fool’s Gold is an exotic and romantic adventure by George Fenton, composer of the scores for the enormously popular and acclaimed Discovery Channel documentaries Planet Earth and The Blue Planet as well as such diverse films as You’ve Got Mail, Hitch, Groundhog Day and Memphis Belle.

https://www.colosseum.de/colosseum/prod … 99de497286
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008 edited
    The official filmsite has got background music... probably from the score?

http://foolsgoldmovie.warnerbros.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008 edited
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008
    shocked

Varèse proposing samples now? shocked
  5. msia2k75 wrote
    shocked

Varèse proposing samples now? shocked

they've been doing it some while now, especially with the Club releases! It seems now they are doing it with the new releases as well!

Ps, anybody noticed they don't include anymore a written down statement of the score itself? It seems they finally realised that their too positive and epic scale words often don't mesh well with the fan's impressions after they hear it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008
    Hehe, yep, I noticed the lack of written descriptions as well! A shame, actually, since while they were ridiculous, they did give some notion of how the score would be like. And the samples by the scores aren't all that new at all; they used to do it a lot more with also the regular releases! Then they disappeared all of a sudden... and now they're back again! Or, at least, for this score... Maybe in the future they will compensate for the lack of the written description?