• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The host of the local infotainment show, Bondi Vet, will be narrating in this case. He's earned less stripes. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    Some great news to start the year - Silva Screen will release Fenton's glorious music for Frozen Planet.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    Splendid! I'm an admirer of his work for Planet Earth.
  2. Don't remember much of the music from Frozen Planet. It will be interesting to hear how different it is from all his other documentary music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. A BBC documentary series without Fenton's music though does tend to suffer: Sarah Class' music for the new BBC documentary series, Africa, was very intrusive in places.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    That's interesting. I haven't watched the opening episode yet.

Oddly, Sky is airing a new Attenborough series at the moment too, Galapagos - the first episode was on last night and was spectacular. That music, by Joel Douek, was not intrusive and I'd like to hear it on its own. (I noticed Maintitles' own John Chambers in the end credits too, for his underwater photography.)
  4. Southall wrote

Oddly, Sky is airing a new Attenborough series at the moment too, Galapagos - the first episode was on last night and was spectacular. That music, by Joel Douek, was not intrusive and I'd like to hear it on its own. (I noticed Maintitles' own John Chambers in the end credits too, for his underwater photography.)

As an example, at one point there was what sounded to me like like a second-rate Morricone/Spaghetti Western-styled sequence for...an animal stand-off in the desert!

Some of Douek's music for these documentary shows can be quite interesting. Class' music, IMO, was not of the standard we have become accustomed to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Go John punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Go John punk cool

Nice one James, and glad to hear you responded well to it, I haven't seen any of it yet myself. Did they use much underwater stuff? I know they've split our stuff across the three episodes. Hope they release it on 3D Blu ray as I've just bought a shiny new 3D TV! Working underwater in the Galapagos for a month was without a doubt the highlight of my career thus far and it's now my mission in life to get back there!

As for Frozen Planet getting released I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been pestering some of the production staff for a score release since before it was broadcast and I can safely say my efforts had no effect whatsoever on it getting released!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love your new profile pic John cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, where did you take that? Mordor?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013 edited
    I'm pretty sure that's the Galapagos.
  6. Yeah that's Fernandina in the Galapagos with Fernandina volcano in the background. I put this up a few months ago, as great as Marine Iguanas are on shore the fun really starts when you get them in the water!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

Release date: March 18 2013
    Label: Silva Screen

George Fenton's career is littered with awards, multiple Ivor Novellos, BAFTAs, Emmys, a Classical Brit and five Oscar nominations. With 100 film and TV scores to his credit the breadth of his composing is simply breathtaking. Films include Gandhi, Cry Freedom, The Fisher King, Groundhog Day, Shadowlands and an array of timeless TV music such as Shoestring, Bergerac, The Jewel In The Crown and Newsnight. In the past two decades his work with the BBC Wildlife Unit has seen enduring scores for acclaimed hit worldwide series such as The Trials Of Life, The Blue Planet and Planet Earth which have been performed in concert by many of the world's leading orchestras. Frozen Planet originally shown in 2011 continues to underline his remarkable skills of matching the movement of the natural world to music. 'One of the key challenges we face as wildlife filmmakers is to try and transport our audiences to the wonderful wildernesses we experience first hand. George Fenton's wonderful score was a vital tool to help us take people to the poles - a place beyond imagination' - Alastair Fothergill, Producer of Frozen Planet.

1. Frozen Planet Opening Titles
    2. The North Pole
    3. Rapid Change
    4. Surfing Penguins
    5. Antarctic Mystery
    6. Flying South
    7. Stones
    8. McKenzie River
    9. Cubs First Hunt
    10. Narwhals
    11. Elephant Seal Duel
    12. Returning Seabirds/Albatross Love
    13. Ice Sculptures
    14. Leaping Penguins
    15. Owlets/Protection
    16. Seal Ballet/Arrival Of The Humpbacks
    17. Lazy Bear
    18. Exercise
    19. Belugas
    20. Competing For The Girl
    21. The Long March
    22. Winter
    23. Activity
    24. Weasel
    25. Winter Sets In
    26. Battle Of Wills
    27. Emperors Return
    28. Greenland Patrol
    29. Minus Forty
    30. Following The Herd
    31. Walrus Kiss
    32. Scott's Legacy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    Finally!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

As an example, at one point there was what sounded to me like like a second-rate Morricone/Spaghetti Western-styled sequence for...an animal stand-off in the desert!

Some of Douek's music for these documentary shows can be quite interesting. Class' music, IMO, was not of the standard we have become accustomed to.

Three episodes in, I think her music has got much better. The Morricone bit in the opening episode was seriously ill-advised but otherwise I like what I've heard and was pleased to see on Facebook that it appears Silva Screen will be releasing this one too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    Can't wait!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Clips for Frozen Planet up at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Planet-S … mp;sr=1-19
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    I'm listening to BBC Radio 2

George Fenton is being interviewed by Dermot O'Leary very soon for anyone interested.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A BBC documentary series without Fenton's music though does tend to suffer: Sarah Class' music for the new BBC documentary series, Africa, was very intrusive in places.

Looks like Silva Screen is releasing Class' score for Africa in March.

http://www.silvascreen.com/index.php/20 … w-release/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A BBC documentary series without Fenton's music though does tend to suffer: Sarah Class' music for the new BBC documentary series, Africa, was very intrusive in places.

Looks like Silva Screen is releasing Class' score for Africa in March.

http://www.silvascreen.com/index.php/20 … w-release/

I like what I heard so this is good news.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    Indeed - it seemed a bit temp-track friendly but was very pleasant and I look forward to the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
  9. Great review, I can't wait for this to arrive when it's released in a few weeks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    I just got my copy of "Frozen Planet" from Silva and I can't share the enthusiasm that James and others do about this work. You say that "Stones" is a Russian pastiche of sorts with a bit of humor which I certainly hear toward the end of the work with the muted brass and trumpets but I hear no reference to any Russian works during the body of the work. Could you elaborate a bit more for me? Perhaps I need further listens as my first impression is never carved in stone.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  10. No one seems to have mentioned the recent release of George Fenton's score for Terry Gilliam's The Zero Theorem:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theorem-Gilliam … p;sr=1-305
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014
    Good review, James.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2018
  11. My review of COLD PURSUIT, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2019/02/19/cold … ge-fenton/

Jon