• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    You can now talk about the NFL until your heart is content, Tom.
    It's all yours, buddy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smart ass
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. NFL.

Stands for National Flummi League.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Or it could stand for 'No Flemish Looza', Bregt's campaign for the awareness of Looza deficit in his region.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You should all come to America and attend a game. It is an experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010 edited
    I watched one superbowl a couple of years ago on TV. I totally get why you people like it.

(Make of this whatever you want wink )

Okay, to be honest, it wasn´t that bad, but it felt like nothing was ever happening. Just some brawling for a couple of seconds, then it´s timestop again. The really impressive stuff was to watch how one gets a ball that is anything but a ball kicked into the desired direction. But then again I guess that´s what it is about - it´s not that easy. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    100 million watched the last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, if you want to call numb3rs, over 700 million watched the FIFA World Cup finale in 2006.

Edit 1: I just saw that Germany got 3rd place at the American Football World Cup in 2007. shocked
    I didn´t even know there was such a thing as an AF World Cup.

Edit 2:
    Live Sports Events 2009 on TV
    1 Football Champions League Finale (Barca vs. ManU) 109 Mio.
    2 American Football Super Bowl (Steelers vs. Cardinals) 106 Mio.
    3 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Bahrain 54 Mio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ralph this was just in the US. Considering the population that is a huge number with over 1/3 of the population watching. The world figures I don't know. It actually surpassed the final episode of Mash with over 106 million. Mash was a big deal in the US
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´m just teasing you. I know that it´s a very big deal for you guys. I´m sure we all love our games, and that´s how it should be. beer

EDIT: Germany has 81 Mio people. 31 (Mio) of them watched yesterday's game. That´s more than a third, too. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To be honest, I can understand major sports like football and cricket getting their own threads but wonder if these minor-interest ones should just be lumped together into a single thread, rather than having one specifically for this "NFL"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Very true, James. NFL just isn't big enough to warrant its own thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I don´t see a problem. If it is used, it doesn´t hurt anyone. Just ignore it if it doesn´t interest you. It´s up to Tom now, I guess, or it will slowly vanish into the deeps of this board. biggrin

And hey, we´re actually good at it, so it stays, I say! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    You should all come to America and attend a game. It is an experience.

I don't doubt that.

I have zero interest in the sport, but I'd love to feel the ambiance and atmosphere on the stadium. It's such a quintessential American phenomenon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    To be honest, I can understand major sports like football and cricket getting their own threads but wonder if these minor-interest ones should just be lumped together into a single thread, rather than having one specifically for this "NFL"?

It's funny that you say minor sport because it's THE number one sport in America. That might not mean a whole hell of a lot to anyone else but it's one of the best run and one of the most profitable sports leagues in the world!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    100 million watched the last one.

...for the commercials.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's always the possibility that James was being sarcastic. Including myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't help it.
    Whenever there's talk of a clearly US-centric thing being regarded (mainly by American citizens) as a global event, I am reminded of the great vice president Quayle, referring to the Holocaust as a great American tragedy.

biggrin

Ahhh...Quayle. Bless his socks.
    I wonder where he is now?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Whenever there's talk of a clearly US-centric thing being regarded (mainly by American citizens) as a global event, I am reminded of the great vice president Quayle, referring to the Holocaust as a great American tragedy.

http://www.welfarestate.com/map/
    Presented without comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    There's always the possibility that James was being sarcastic.

Well, yes, there's always that possibility.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Surely not?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

It's funny that you say minor sport because it's THE number one sport in America. That might not mean a whole hell of a lot to anyone else but it's one of the best run and one of the most profitable sports leagues in the world!

-Erik-

Europeans apparently just don't get it Erik. #1 rated watched program in America and that is minor. Give me a break Steven and James. By the way I didn't start the thread. I've learned my lesson on that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited
    Again, i liked the point Martijn made, about America=world according to some Americans wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    edit: forget it

But now I remember why I left here for three months
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    Terribly sorry to poke fun at one of your favourite sports, Tom.

No idea where we might have picked up that habit...
  2. On a more serious note, I think American Football is the least understood sport of the American favorites. You can get a grasp of baseball in a minute, I think, the only difficult thing really are the innings. Having seen about 2 minutes of baseball, I already get when is somebody out and what a strike and a ball is.

I have seen several actions of NFL and I still don't get what it's about. Luckily I have a cousin who actually played it in college, so he can explain a few things.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    edit: forget it

But now I remember why I left here for three months

Eh? uhm confused

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    And it is starting real real soon