• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For those familiar with these, I'm wondering if Friedhofer's Boy On A Dolphin and Delerue's The Day of The Dolphin are CDs worth tracking down? The clips certainly sound as though they may be worth looking for.

Probably though, if you have them then you like them and you'll be saying "yes" to my question!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Kamen scored a documentary (not listed on IMDB) about dolphins, as I recall. I can't recall the name though, and there was no CD release. Probably one of the most obscure and little known scoring assignments of his.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    I don't have either but I've enjoyed both scores while watching the films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited
    Delerue's "The day of the dolphin" has one of the best themes ever composed, so for that, it's worth getting. The problem is that the rest of the score doesn't appear to offer much else, besides that breathtaking theme. Of course it's a while since I heard it, and perhaps I should give it another chance.

If you want other dolphin scores, here's what soundtrackcollector says:

# Dolphin (1979)
    Basil Poledouris
    # Dolphin Bay (1990)
    Bruce Rowland
    # Dolphin Cove (1988)
    Doug Timm
    tv series/episodes
    # Dolphin Cove (1989)
    Bill Conti
    tv series/episode
    # Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (2000)
    Spencer Nilsen
    # Eye Of The Dolphin (2006)
    Tim Jones
    # Green Dolphin Beat (1994)
    Peter Manning Robinson
    tv movie
    # Green Dolphin Street (1947)
    Bronislaw Kaper
    # Way Of The Dolphin (2009)
    Unknown composer

Peter smile

PS. From the title alone, this sounds like the greatest movie ever: "Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future"
  3. I'm not too interested in the other titles with "Dolphin" in the title but the information on The Day of The Dolphin is useful. I may just buy a couple of tracks that gives a good representation of the theme rather than paying $50-$60 for the OOP CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited
    Honestly?
    I have both, and neither is either composer's best.
    If you're a completist you'll like them, and assuredly there's nothing offensive about them (and as per usual Delerue weaves a marvellous theme)...but that's pretty much all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    I mostly agree with all. Friedhofer's style, especially, isn't extremely accessible so his "Dolphin" score isn't nearly as charming as Delerue's.

Here's another score what doesn't have "Dolphin" in the title, but "Roxanne" happens to be the Dolphin's name:

Zeus and Roxanne, Bruce Rowland

It's an okay score with a catchy pretty main theme, nothing more, nothing less. Probably its best feature is that it comes with Rowland's score of Phar Lap on the same CD. Both together makes this a worthwhile CD.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not too interested in the other titles with "Dolphin" in the title but the information on The Day of The Dolphin is useful. I may just buy a couple of tracks that gives a good representation of the theme rather than paying $50-$60 for the OOP CD.

Indeed, just get the track called "Nocturne", that should be enough. An extraordinary piece.

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    Indeed, just get the track called "Nocturne", that should be enough. An extraordinary piece.

That was indeed one of the three I picked up from Delerue's score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    Well picked. beer

Peter smile