• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    I just came back from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra concert hall.

WHAT a concert. Let me try to get through it.

First I left home in proper "Planet Earth" attire: brown slacks and shoes, blue dress shirt, white jacket, green tie with blue stripes, and green fedora hat. Proper Earth colours!

It was all I could not to give the maestro an ovation as he walked in, before he'd even played a single note. I was sitting second row (which was the first row practically speaking since the actual front row was left empty) and right SMACK in the middle of the section. So I was effectively RIGHT in George Fenton's face. There was George freakin' Fenton right there, directly in front of me! Less than three meters away!!! The shadow he cast from the back lights reached me! I KNOW he noticed how emotionally moved I was as he turned around to speak between each piece.

I don't have the program right before me but the selection was quite stunning. A very nice balance of stirring pieces, uplifting ones, and yes, even action music, too. My only Planet Earth fave he didn't play was "The Blue Whale." Big, big shame he didn't play that. Other than that very nice selection, and I swear he must've picked certain pieces that aren't on the CDs.

The most awkward was the "Caves" section. Half the piece that played was pre-recorded and was featured just so the vocalist lady could sing to it. She was very good, but still weird to have pre-recorded audio play for so long at a concert. I guess they did it that way because the piece featured too many electronic elements to play live. Finally, more than halfway through the piece the orchestra kicked in.

Well okay I take it back: the most awkward moment of the evening was the end of the first act, when he played a totally random Gershwin song dedicated to the filmmakers and field researchers of Planet Earth. So out of place. I suppose the audience viewed it as "good fun." Gershwin knows how to write a flawless song, for sure... it's just an awkward pick at this concert, is all.

Best part for me was the Akavengo segment. More than any other piece it had tears running down my cheeks. It was also the ONLY piece of the whole evening that prominently featured the Planet Earth main theme! Peculiar.

Obviously, this being a "visual media concert" the concert hall probably felt the audience would stone them to death if they didn't provide a big screen with footage to match the music. So okay, have your cute footage, I don't mind, I don't care (my eyes were closed as I swayed to the music most of the time anyways). If those people forgot that they came to a CONCERT and NOT a movie, then that's their problem. BUT I tell you where you draw the line: those occasional sound effects were UNACCEPTABLE. Thank GOD they really weren't too terribly intrusive or frequent, but I could still hear them.

Other than this slight gripe (which I know Mr. Fenton must've fought against all he could) the concert was perfect. Well, I had read on the ad that Fenton would also play segments from his famous film scores such as Gandhi and Dangerous Liaisons and I was really looking forward to that but it turns out it wasn't part of the program.

As soon as the last note of the last piece struck, I was the first one to bolt upright and clap like a madman. I clapped until my hands were sore. He came back twice for an encore bow, but he never actually gave us an encore piece. Sad. I think I deserved it as a fan.

I had my copy of We're No Angels with me (perhaps the most highly-prized Fenton score) just on the off-chance the maestro would mingle with his audience at the end and sign autographs. Sadly I don't think he realized there actually WAS a fan of his in the audience. Isn't it sad when you have total confidence that not a one person in a 1000+ audience besides you could've listed just FIVE of Mr. Fenton's film scores.

Well, this makes the 5th concert I've attended in my life. I'll look forward to the next one, however long that'll take until I find another in my area.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    A George Fenton concert must be fantastic, pity about the sound effects (although I'm sure God had nothing to do with it being not intrusive). In Ghent they also play film fragments, but luckily they don't use dialogue or sounds.

Interesting that he introduced each piece. What did he tell?

Isn't it sad when you have total confidence that not a one person in a 1000+ audience besides you could've listed just FIVE of Mr. Fenton's film scores.

Oh yes! I had that feeling here in Ghent before (the concerts where more sponsors than fans attend, unfortunately that's sometimes the only way to keep these concerts alive)

Thanks for the report!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    Fenton will be conducting Planet Earth in Concert in a couple of cities around the UK, in September:
    http://www.planetearthinconcert.com/

07 September - Nottingham
    08 September - Nottingham
    09 September - Cardiff
    13 September - Birmingham
    14 September - Birmingham
    15 September - Manchester
    16 September - London

Found this via http://www.moviesinconcert.nl
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012
    No one interested? This must be close for a few of you?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cardiff is only 40 minutes away, I'll certainly consider it but like the Legrand concert it'll be a last moment decision.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Superb. I'm definitely in for one of the Birmingham performances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Cardiff is only 40 minutes away, I'll certainly consider it but like the Legrand concert it'll be a last moment decision.

You and your last minute decisions.

I'd be game for this, had I not had so many other things on my plate this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's things happening that I'm not at liberty to discuss Thor, hence the 'last minute' decisions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope all is okay, and that you can attend.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    There's things happening that I'm not at liberty to discuss Thor, hence the 'last minute' decisions.

Oh. Hope it gets sorted out, whatever it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh. Hope it gets sorted out, whatever it is.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    Frozen Planet in Concert - April 13th 2013 in Ziggo Dome in The Netherlands!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013 edited
    Woow! punk

More info here:
    http://www.frozenplanetinconcert.nl/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    shocked Oh! That sounds good!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    I was surprised it hadn't been mentioned here. I saw an ad on TV!

The site is only Dutch and about this concert only. Seems as if the organisation is separate for each country. It is a European tour right?

Anyway, I've read good things about the new Ziggo Dome. Apparently it's very innovative when it comes to acoustics. And I've also read good things about the Planet Earth concerts. So, enough reasons to go.
    freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013 edited
    I'm interested too. Let me know when you would decide on tickets. I'm sure Bob will be enthusiast as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    Anyone decided to go?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not sure yet, I just have so much happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    Timmer, changed the topic title because I was asking about the Frozen Planet concert in Amsterdam. I don't think you were thinking of that one.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Amsterdam is not very far away. It takes longer to get to the North of England.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I am very, very tempted....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Bregje wrote
    Frozen Planet in Concert - April 13th 2013 in Ziggo Dome in The Netherlands!

I completely forgot about this concert. Damned! angry

Did anyone go?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    I wanted to ask the same thing. I forgot to order tickets and go as well. Very busy months, music was hardly on my mind.

So: no, we didn't go either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013 edited
    The Frozen Planet concert comes to Brussels. Fenton is conducting. 12 October.
    http://www.vorstnationaal.be/nl/kalende … in-concert

It's the weekend in between Elfman, Scorsese and WSA.
    So that'll mean 4 concerts in 2 weeks. spin

07 October: Elfman in London
    12 October: Frozen Planet in Brussels
    17 October: Scorsese in Ghent
    19 October: WSA in Ghent

That's just crazy.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
    by the way, what happened to that one?
    Did ever take place in October 2013?
    I think I saw it is coming in Brussels in 2014 too, is it correct?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
    It's in Brussels on friday 31/10/2014 ...
    Still a long wait ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014
    Is this cancelled??