• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007 edited
    GEOFF ZANELLI

"Remote Control" (ex-"Media Ventures") composer. http://www.geoffzanelli.com

Now; onto HITMAN

I've just been over my first couple of listens and this must honestly be the biggest crap i've heard this year.

I was heavily disappointed by the announcement of this assignment, as I consider the original game scores by Jesper Kyd to be excellent (in perspective) but I thought I’d give Geoff a chance, although I’ve never heard something by him that would convince me of his….abilities. No matter my reservations though, I truly never expected something as bad as this to come up at the end of the year to be clear; WOW. We're talking about a VERY BAD case here.

First off, he completely rips-off - in every way possible (from the instrumentation, to the use of electronics and from arrangements to the actual themes / melodic process) everything JOHN POWELL has ever done in the BOURNE films; and it's just that. Nothing else really; At times it tries to be a bit more "diverse" by adding one middle-eastern colored melody complete with the trademarked trisemitone and the oh so original use of duduk and sparse atmospheric female vocals; sigh. At a couple of other instances, the score tends to "escape" to a typical MV theme heavy on male choir but that's just only for a minute until he returns back to copying BOURNE again on constant repetition.

At the entire duration, all the pieces are underlined by a completely excessive use of "ticking" clock-like electronics of high frequencies (again stolen by Powell who - in violent contrast with Zanelli, actually knows how to use them) and utterly loud and irritating electronics. Especially from "I Need You To Die" onwards things turn into completely unbearable via OVER THE TOP LOUD electronic effects, techno synths and (double sigh) screaming electric guitars on distortion.

Add to that 2 horrible, virtually unlistenable renditions of “Ave Maria” (one at the beginning, one at the end of the album) and you’ve got a total frisbee. I am currently looking of ways to bear another couple of listens to complete my review.

rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    GEOFF ZANELLI

I've just been over my first couple of listens and this must honestly be the biggest crap i've heard this year.

:

I even Have finished my first listen.

A frisbee , of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    I second that. This quote from Roger Moore's (Orlando Sentinel) movie review gained in impotance when listened to Zanelli's Hitman score:

...all set to a score that 'Bourne' composer John Powell should consider suing for violating his movie music copyright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Honesty, this is one hell of a shameful situation! I mean TYLER BATES even had the "balls" to copy the same notes / scale and rhythm from "Titus", in "300" whilst Geoff Zanelli didn't even do that, he altered a couple of notes just to avoid being sued or something! And that tender theme that appears from the middle onwards ("Undress me" is one cue that contains it if i recall correctly) is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Powell in every aspect that it really made me wanting to punch the speakers! But it's not just that which irritates me with HITMAN; it's the completely BAD and OVER THE TOP use of every single musical element and instrument in it that makes it sound unbearably harsh and amateur-made that makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with studios and producers who actually green-lit stuff like that to go on! This junk here screams "REJECTED" all over it and if some people's heads weren't screwed (apparently), then that's what should have been done with it eventually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah! Demetris hates it!
    Should really be my kind of stuff then! :rubs hands:

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Ah! Demetris hates it!
    Should really be my kind of stuff then! :rubs hands:

wink

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till you see my review, i've dug the shovel up! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah! Even better!
    Even more than looking forward to sampling the Hitman score, I am now eagerly expecting a full page mad-dog foaming-at-the-mouth ranting review!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Honesty, this is one hell of a shameful situation! I mean TYLER BATES even had the "balls" to copy the same notes / scale and rhythm from "Titus", in "300" whilst Geoff Zanelli didn't even do that, he altered a couple of notes just to avoid being sued or something! And that tender theme that appears from the middle onwards ("Undress me" is one cue that contains it if i recall correctly) is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Powell in every aspect that it really made me wanting to punch the speakers! But it's not just that which irritates me with HITMAN; it's the completely BAD and OVER THE TOP use of every single musical element and instrument in it that makes it sound unbearably harsh and amateur-made that makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with studios and producers who actually green-lit stuff like that to go on! This junk here screams "REJECTED" all over it and if some people's heads weren't screwed (apparently), then that's what should have been done with it eventually!

No, Demetris. Take the new standards into account. If a work screams REJECTED recently, it means it's actually VERY good biggrin (Case in point - Yared's Troy)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am currently looking of ways to bear another couple of listens to complete my review.

rolleyes

D., just as a point of interest: will you amend your first post here to do the "full review", or will that go somewhere separately?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not sure if i understand correctly.....my review will be uploaded probably in my blog in a few days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhh, OK.
    I thought you might be doing an (extensive) review for MT, and I was just wondering where on the site it was gonna go. But of course now I realize you have your own blog as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No Kyd?????? slant angry kill
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You only just noticed? confused

I was so hoping Kyd would at least have been involved (I love his East-European dark techno take on the games), but it was pretty clear early on that he had nothing whatsoever to do with the film version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I knew he was not scoring it, but at least Zanelli could have used the same style?
    Kazoo
  2. Seemingly he decided to use Powell's style biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christine Blanc of inter-activities.com talks with GEOFF ZANELLI on HITMAN, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN and many more topics in this last part of the new interview over at:

http://inter-activities.blogspot.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    http://inter-activities.blogspot.com/20 … rview.html

New interview with Mr Zanelli.

"On what senes did you worked on?
    There were so many! I can barely remember, but let’s see, on the first one I did the moonlight serenade, and the ship to ship chase, the scenes before the actual battle. The end credits piece, “He’s A Pirate,” was my arrangement of Hans’ theme. Then once Pirates 2 came, I was doing more writing as opposed to arranging, so I composed the Tia Dalma/Calypso theme, and then the Cannibal Island music, most of that was mine. I mean the music which wasn’t Jack’s theme. For Pirates 3, Tia Dalma has a, literally, bigger part in the film, and so I worked on the Calypso cues, and enjoyed getting to develop my little theme, which now had to become a big theme."

Well...nothing new. All we Know , for logic, Calypso track from AWE was by Zanelli.

Bravo Geoff, a great track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So "He's A Pirate", the most recognizable piece from the entire trilogy, really has nothing to do with Badelt, but is instead a Zanelli arrangement of a Zimmer theme. Wow.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    So "He's A Pirate", the most recognizable piece from the entire trilogy, really has nothing to do with Badelt, but is instead a Zanelli arrangement of a Zimmer theme. Wow.

Im not surprised since the there were credited in the posterior compilations, and Since the "bridge" from this cue was removed from the posterior scores.

I think Badelt composed that Bridge, Zanelli did some orchestrations and Zimmer composer the base.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    Review of Hitman:

http://musiconfilm.net/get_review.php?id=185

I personally found it absolutely hideous. Wondering what other people thought as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    A new assignment for Geoff Zanelli (co-composing with Robb Williamson):

GAME

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -game.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    GAMER

trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/gamer/

plot:
    GAMER is a high-concept action thriller set in a near future when gaming and entertainment have evolved into a terrifying new hybrid. Humans control other humans in mass-scale, multi-player online games: people play people…for keeps. Mind-control technology is widespread, and at the heart of the controversial games is its creator, reclusive billionaire Ken Castle (Michael C. Hall). His latest brainchild, the first-person shooter game “Slayers,” allows millions to act out their most savage fantasies online in front of a global audience, using real prisoners as avatars with whom they fight to the death.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    From the directors of Crank and Crank 2....promising, very promising vomit
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    From the directors of Crank and Crank 2....promising, very promising vomit

as long as it's fun, who cares? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    Here's an interview with Geoff regarding the Pacific score, and his other projects - http://filmmusicmedia.blogspot.com/2010 … nelli.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    Here's an interview with Geoff regarding the Pacific score, and his other projects - http://filmmusicmedia.blogspot.com/2010 … nelli.html

Nice interview. He's obviously very passionate about his craft.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote

Enjoyed it. Thanks for the link. Now I'm waiting until someone does an interview with either Djawadi and Jackman on their recent projects.
  4. Hello... here's my short interview with Geoff. Enjoy!

http://www.muzykafilmowa.pl/artykuly/zanelli.htm
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Lucas Wayne wrote
    Hello... here's my short interview with Geoff. Enjoy!

http://www.muzykafilmowa.pl/artykuly/zanelli.htm

Thanks the link. Good interview. I was hoping that you would have asked him about his additional work on Clash of The Titans...