• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    http://tadlowmusic.com/arabia.htm

Some breaking news information just sent to me from James Fitzpatrick
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmmmmmmmmm goodbye large chunk of money...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. 13th September!! That's ages away!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    6-7 weeks...is short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    not really that long a time
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is fantastic news!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It IS fantastic news!

If film scores were likened to mountains this one is in the Himalaya.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    perhaps
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No Tom, DEFINITELY! It's right up there with the greatest works by Herrmann, North, Moross, Goldsmith etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Absolutely. One of the true milestones of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    James, Tim, and others this is a top ten written piece of music of all time. No way IMHO. It is good but not that good. I for one would take Big Country over Lawrence of Arabia without hesitation
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just ordered my first Herrmann score the other day. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scribe wrote

what??????
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Lack of melodies used to bore me. It has taken me years to learn how to appreciate orchestral music for its own sake.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

What album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Earth to Scribe smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    James, Tim, and others this is a top ten written piece of music of all time. No way IMHO. It is good but not that good. I for one would take Big Country over Lawrence of Arabia without hesitation

So would I Tom, as The Big Country is in my top 5 scores of all time but, a big BUT, Lawrence of Arabia IS one of the all time great scores and deserves it's lofty perch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

What album?

3 Worlds of Gulliver. From the SAE sale. It was a spur of the moment purchase. Like, "Hmm, maybe I should finally give this famous dude a try."

A long time ago someone told me that Herrmann wasn't very good at writing themes, and I stayed away for that reason, and also the fact that I simply cannot bear the quality of any pre-70s recording, so I am stuck with only re-recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I like it a lot, but it's perhaps not the best Herrmann score to buy first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    fommes wrote
    I like it a lot, but it's perhaps not the best Herrmann score to buy first.

Well, someone told me that about Lionheart before I liked Goldsmith's style, and he is now my 8th-most-purchased composer. So we'll see smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Your 8th? Don't go near the FSM board!
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    fommes wrote
    Your 8th? Don't go near the FSM board!
    wink

My first film music purchases were by Trevor Rabin and Klaus Badelt. I've come a long way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can say without hesitation or reservation that your first Herrmann purchase should be this recording which SAE probably has.
    http://www.amazon.com/Herrmann-Film-Sco … B0000029TH

I would call Craig, cancel the Gulliver and get this one in its place. This recording will properly introduce you to Herrmann and you'll find he can and is quite thematic. IMHO
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    sdtom wrote
    I can say without hesitation or reservation that your first Herrmann purchase should be this recording which SAE probably has.

I would call Craig, cancel the Gulliver and get this one in its place. This recording will properly introduce you to Herrmann and you'll find he can and is quite thematic. IMHO

I don't want to mess with my current order, but I will definitely get this CD next smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

I second this. One of the finest compilations and re-recordings of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

I second this. One of the finest compilations and re-recordings of all time!

-Erik-

KA-POW!!!

I third this, brilliant recording of some of filmdoms greatest music, you really REALLY should check this one out Matt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    On this recording we all agree. I have to put this in the category of a top ten re-recording of all time
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010 edited
    As another who doesn't own anything by Herrmann (you're not alone, Scribe, although you'll have one soon and I still won't...) I appreciate this suggestion guys. My collection suffers from a gaping hole right around the whole pre-80s era.... cheesy I have a couple 70s scores, but before that it's pretty slim pickings here. I have no Korngold, no Steiner, no Bernstein, no North, no Copeland (film score), no A. Newman, one Jarre (though it's post 1980), and only a couple Cd-Rs of Rozsa. I totally get what Matt was saying about the sound of older recordings. I just have a really hard time enjoying music that sounds so old. I'll check out the Herrmann CD. I've been thinking about getting the recent re-recording of El Cid, and I'll certainly add bump this Laurence of Arabia up higher on my to-get list. Any other suggestions for me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010 edited
    Christopher... it's time I introduce you to Charles Gerhardt. Please go HERE and have a listen! Gerhardt opened my ears to the Golden Age and I think he might be able to do the same for you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't get it. The ARABIA recording from Tadlow has been known for months, if not a year. Is there anything extra with the news item above that was not previously known?
    I am extremely serious.