• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    Question for everyone who is very awake after 23.00 :

Is it always like that or only when you're on the PC?

When I'm on the PC in the evening (that's not often) I don't get sleepy, but I'm very active and alert. Also my feet and legs are very cold then which keeps me awake too.

When I'm on the couch watching TV or reading on the other hand.... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz......... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    yeah

There's always something to check or read on the internet. One day I will break free. One day. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    yeah yeah (read: I second that!)

Not so much the cold feet thingy, though (how about floor heating, or socks? It sounds like something that can lead to belly-aches?), but the internet has a tendency to get rather addictive. I have several websites I tend to check the moment I return from work, and the moment I checked the last one, there's bound to be new updates on the first one again (which is MainTitles, of course. Honestly). That is why I'm forcing myself to shut it off at a certain time since it has ruined quite some evenings for me (not, MainTitles, of course, that never ruins an evening. Honestly).

Also, having my iPod helps, it allows me to just check a certain thing while in bed and easily close it again without the thought that the moment I close down the computer, I cannot easily return to the message boards, which was always a reason to just stay a little longer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    It's going to be even more hellish and even more late each time, if you add the cheezburger network sites (a shitload of them, all funny as hell) in your routine surfing which i strongly recommend NOT to.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    Right. So what links would that be?
    Just to know what sites to avoid, s'all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://cheezburger.com/sites
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I absolutely adore sitting late on the pc, with music and good ol red dry wine. I mean, with variations suiting each one's tastes, WHO DOESN'T? It can be a stunning experience. I remember some of my most interesting nights when i was at the initial stages of the bachelor degree and still careless, jobless and gfless, i'd spend some of my most exciting nights with the above set up. Not recommended for long-year applications though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, I've had some good nights like that as well. Late night chats tend to be very interesting, conversations you just don't have during the day. Everything slows down and gets melancholic. And good music... though with a roommate, all needs to be quiet after a certain hour. But there's something about the night I quite love (nearly my full graduation thesis was written by night, late night). Then again, the mornings can be magic as well. The combination, though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly, couldn't agree more! These days i rarely stay up late though, i do now 'cause i am no holidays, but my usual time-line during the working periods of the year are sleeping from 1am to 8/9 am each day. But i am nostalgic of those nights, sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I still think a rested brain works better
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's now 01:35 and I've never felt more awake.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    1:52 now.

bhangra
    bounce
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    Oh, I've had some good nights like that as well. Late night chats tend to be very interesting, conversations you just don't have during the day. Everything slows down and gets melancholic. And good music... though with a roommate, all needs to be quiet after a certain hour. But there's something about the night I quite love (nearly my full graduation thesis was written by night, late night). Then again, the mornings can be magic as well. The combination, though...

I still need to visit your apartment! What about a weekend in August? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sure, you're welcome! If you want to make the trip for it! It really isn't that much of a spectacle, so we'd have to combine it with a city trip wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Question for everyone who is very awake after 23.00 :

Is it always like that or only when you're on the PC?

When I'm on the PC in the evening (that's not often) I don't get sleepy, but I'm very active and alert. Also my feet and legs are very cold then which keeps me awake too.

When I'm on the couch watching TV or reading on the other hand.... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz......... sleep

No, it's always like that.
    I can only try and condition myself by actually going to bed and laying in the dark.
    Then my body might get fooled into thinking that going to sleep is a good idea.

Any -ANY- other activity keeps me awake on the same level, no matter what I do.
    When I'm on the PC indeed I'm desperately hoping there's still someone out there on MT, primarily.
    (Otherwise I just start Googling at A- wink ...no, I generally tend to get lost in Wikipedia, with all sorts of odd associations leading to ever more clicking)

But watching TV, I will JUST flip one channel further in hopes there'll be something on.
    Reading a book, I will just finish the NEXT page.
    And so on and so forth.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You don't get sleapy reading a book? Television never worked for me (I don't get how you can fall asleep while it's still on, yet everybody close to me manages to do so quite easily). Reading, however, often makes my eyelids go heavy, which is pretty annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never.
    Reading may in fact be my number one insomniacum: I always want to finish the next page.
    Many is the night that with pain in my heart I decided that, tomorrow being a work day, it might be a better idea to stop reading now at 4:30...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Never.
    Reading may in fact be my number one insomniacum: I always want to finish the next page.
    Many is the night that with pain in my heart I decided that, tomorrow being a work day, it might be a better idea to stop reading now at 4:30...

The dreaded just ONE more page.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, now it's 14:42 in the afternoon, and I'm tired as HELL! Have a big party tonight too. Crap! slant
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I feel like going to bed now and it's only 1.45. I may go running instead as strangely it boosts my energy levels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    You don't get sleapy reading a book? Television never worked for me (I don't get how you can fall asleep while it's still on, yet everybody close to me manages to do so quite easily). Reading, however, often makes my eyelids go heavy, which is pretty annoying.

Same here. Not once in my life have I fallen asleep with the telly on. But books do it to me every time. This is one reason why I've only read something like 5 books in my life. I can read vast quantities of text on my computer though without getting tired.

Makes me wonder whether I can read a book on the ipad, since that's basically a computer/book hybrid.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Explain this to me. If I'm sitting downstairs, drinking a beer maybe and watching something on tv, it's not unusual for me to drop off to sleep. On the other hand, if I'm in bed and my wife's watching something on tv then I simply cannot go to sleep, however tired I am.

Reading a book never makes me sleepy. I find it mentally stimulating and it's more likely to wake me up than the reverse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Explain this to me. If I'm sitting downstairs, drinking a beer maybe and watching something on tv, it's not unusual for me to drop off to sleep. On the other hand, if I'm in bed and my wife's watching something on tv then I simply cannot go to sleep, however tired I am.

Reading a book never makes me sleepy. I find it mentally stimulating and it's more likely to wake me up than the reverse.

you have to find the right kind of book, page turners but one you can put down anytime you feel like it.
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I find that I function with ~5 hours sleep compared with 8-9 hours. Sleeping longer just makes me feel more tired during the day.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I find that I function with ~5 hours sleep compared with 8-9 hours. Sleeping longer just makes me feel more tired during the day.

Absolutely agree with you, 4 - 5 hours is fine for me, anytime I sleep for too long I never really feel properly 'with it' all day long.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    7 hours is norm from what people in the field say.

As for books, they usually put me to sleep.

Thank God i don't watch tv.

What kept me awake and going for hours was usually the combination of a comfortable chair, the pc, the internet, good red wine and music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    it's 0:33 and I've got a work day tomorrow, but I just don't want to go to bed. Have you ever had one of those?

It's like it's easier to go to bed in the weekends, when you don't NEED to get up early than a regular day when you KNOW you have to get up early.

By the way, I just read an article in a Norwegian paper the other day that if you don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, you increase the risk of cardiac diseases. Yikes! I can't remember when I slept for 7 hours last. It's usually much less, and I often wake up every other hour...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Weird, I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to sleep. Also when I have a particularly bad bout of insomnia, I can feel a very noticeable difference in my heart rate and pressure, even feeling pains in my chest at times (which can be a little disconcerting! dizzy ).
  2. Thor wrote
    By the way, I just read an article in a Norwegian paper the other day that if you don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, you increase the risk of cardiac diseases. Yikes! I can't remember when I slept for 7 hours last. It's usually much less, and I often wake up every other hour...

Just don't worry about it!

It's the worrying about not getting enough sleep that leads to increased risk of cardiac disease that's increasing your risk of cardiac problems. And the worry leading to disturbed sleep patterns, reducing the amount of time you sleep...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    it's 0:33 and I've got a work day tomorrow, but I just don't want to go to bed. Have you ever had one of those?

Every single day. The difference is I want to go to bed, I just end up finding something stupid on the internet to look at.