• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010 edited
    Maybe it's not thread-worthy, but I'm a creature of the night and often find myself in the unfortunate position of "forcing" myself to bed if I have a work day the next day, even though I'm not really tired. Like now.

Going to bed is just so goddamn boring, don't you think? And then you wake up in the morning and can't understand why you found it boring the night before. You just want to sleep more, more, more. Curious phenomenon.

Anyways, this is the thread for nights you won't or can't sleep. Where's the red wine and turkey?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010
    Thor you are not alone! You described my sleep situation to a T.
    Sad thing is it sometimes affects my work output the next day.
    Zombie mode till tea time then alert and raring to go after that. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010 edited
    It's rare that I actually want to go to bed, often no matter how tired I am. Even when I return late from a night out I often need a few more hours to unwind.

I agree about the morning though, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I often fall asleep already before I go to bed...
    I'm not good at sleeping in anymore either. I guess my rythm has changed over the years. I'm definitely not an evening or night person anymore.

Society is not fit for evening and night people, unless you go work in a bar, restaurant, or things like that.

Thor, did you know that adolescents have a different bio rythm too? I read once about an educationist who argued for different school times in high school. He said secundary school had a rythm for children and adults, not for adolescents. Because adolescents are very tired in the morning and more active later on, he thought school should adjust to that, haha.

And no, they are not tired because they go to bed too late, it is really a shift in their bio rythm, apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010 edited
    I read some time ago that in Denmark there's paid attention to this difference. About 1/5 of the people works better in the (early) evening than in the (early) morning. Some companies take in account of this difference and let their employees work in their preferred time slot.

In my case, I think I just need more sleep.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Maybe it's not thread-worthy, but I'm a creature of the night and often find myself in the unfortunate position of "forcing" myself to bed if I have a work day the next day, even though I'm not really tired. Like now.

Going to bed is just so goddamn boring, don't you think? And then you wake up in the morning and can't understand why you found it boring the night before. You just want to sleep more, more, more. Curious phenomenon.

Yep, that's me too. Hate going to sleep and hate waking up. Or to put it more positively, I love staying up late and I love waking up late.

My sleep rhythm is 25 hours long so my inner clock gets turned upside down all the time. Difficult to have a normal life when one's sleep patterns are utter chaos.

Peter sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just think mornings should be abolished. By law. On pain of death.

I have much the same the problem: no matter how little I sleep, how early I have to rise or how tired I am, around 23:00 I get my second wind, and can easily go on until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Of course the next morning is absolute hell, the very idea of having to get up being comparable to having to attend a four hour Klaus Wunderlich Plays The Greatest Neil Diamond Hits concert.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    This problem gets even bigger when you're unemployed or having a vacation... beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    When on holiday I can barely sleep for excitement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010
    It's 6 am and i still haven't gone to bed........don't ask.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope you don't have to do anything today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010 edited
    shocked biggrin :sleepy:

Do we have a yawn emoticon?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just hate sleeping - it just seems to be such a waste of time. I never go to bed before 1am and even that's only because I know I have to work the next day so shouldn't stay up any later; and I hate lying in bed in the morning. Life's too short to spend it sleeping!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But sleeping is just lovely!
    I'd love to spend my life sleeping!

It's the going to bed part I have issues with.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For me the stroke has forced me to not only rest but sleep. My neurologist explained that it is a form of healing. In fact at one point when I had the stroke I had to go through being in a straight jacket and a shock treatment. At that time they considered putting me in a self induced coma to allow the brain to heal. They didn't and as you all know it I came out of it pretty good.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I actually function and think best after a period of rest.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    It's strange that staying up late at night is somehow regarded as "cooler" than getting up at the crack of dawn, when it's the latter that truly separates the men from the boys. Any wuss can stay up until 4am swilling beers and jabbering, whereas queuing silently for a bus at 5.30am in the middle of winter requires a level of genuine grit normally reserved for the likes of the ancient mariner.

The night/morning divide has been on my mind lately because my current job requires me to occasionally become an early riser. I'm not a natural morning person. Left to my own devices, with no work commitments or sense of purpose, my sleeping pattern tends to drift back into student mode, ambling further and further past the horizon until it gets to the point where I'm waking up at 1pm and hitting the sack around six in the morning. I eventually become fully nocturnal - like a vampire, but more of a loser, and with significantly less capacity for transforming into a bat and flapping around a castle scaring virgins.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes but you make sense! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not sure how I'll see it tomorrow, i'm having an incredibly thick day
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010 edited
    LSH wrote
    It's strange that staying up late at night is somehow regarded as "cooler" than getting up at the crack of dawn, when it's the latter that truly separates the men from the boys. Any wuss can stay up until 4am swilling beers and jabbering, whereas queuing silently for a bus at 5.30am in the middle of winter requires a level of genuine grit normally reserved for the likes of the ancient mariner.

I'm not sure how "cool" it is; it's just how my body works. Everything works much better at night for my sake (inspiration to write, for example). We usually speak of "A person" (for someone who likes to get to bed early and get up early) and "B person" for the opposite (late/late) here in Norway. I've always been a B person; which was a nightmare when I was in the army, as you can probably imagine.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe this could go in 'what's annoying you' but here'll be fine.

Gomez, what an ungrateful cat, all winter long he sleeps on a chair in the living room and now that it's the height of summer he decides the best place to sleep is on the bed right on top of my legs so that I boil to death during the night.

Absolutely no concern or respect for the welfare of others.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Try sleeping in his chair for a while, I'm sure he'll get annoyed. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Kill it! I'm available in August.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Kill it! I'm available in August.

Everytime I show him a picture of you, Bregt, he shreds it. I've made loads of copies, at first it took him precisely 3 minutes and 32 seconds to completely rend you asunder....he's got it down to 0.9 of a second now, he's also decimated next doors wooden fence sharpening his claws....he's available now or August, take your pick, he ain't fussed devil lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    5000 dollars on Gomez. cuba
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    Safe money, Martijn, 0.8 now, and that's on tinned cat food.

Expect better results on raw bloody beef.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha Gomez rules! Tim, any chance for more G photos?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should think so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've gotta side with the cat on this one too. cat