• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Concert of film music and songs from films featuring music by:

David Arnold | Harry Gregson-Williams | John Powell | John Ottman | Patrick Doyle | Craig Armstrong | Christopher Gunning | Anne Dudley | George Fenton | Rachel Portman | Dario Marianelli | Royal Philharmonic Orchestra | Robert Ziegler conductor

17th October features screening of original Psycho and a panel discussion with many of the composers listed above.

Details here: http://www.concertforcare.com/

Tickets £22-£56 go in sale on the 6th August.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    Damnit, why can't the WSA have this line-up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited
    Not snobbish enough perhaps?

Varied program!

Anyhow, that's 3 days before John Barry in Concert, and five days before WSA. I have to pass, also since it's on a Monday, which requires me to take off 2 days as well.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ooooh this sounds good!

I might just bump into Patrick Doyle again. devil

Is anyone up for this besides me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm... sounds terrific, and work shouldn't be a problem since they're begging me to take more days off. It would be a one-go big trip - to england, then belgium, and then back to Holland. Hmm... I'd have to get into the costs, and maybe - maybe - a little too much in one week? Although, what a glorious week would it be lick . The ultimate decision would be made when I hear the programme...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    they're begging me to take more days off

biggrin

It would be a one-go big trip - to england, then belgium, and then back to Holland. Hmm... I'd have to get into the costs, and maybe - maybe - a little too much in one week? Although, what a glorious week would it be lick . The ultimate decision would be made when I hear the programme...

That's some courageous travel! It's like a festival, but then spread over two countries.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ow!
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 085795f16a

They are all attending! shocked

I'll have to think about this.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    And, it's for charity! So we're helping people! In fact, I think every member of this board should buy a ticket, even those not attending, just to show support towards people in need and David Arnold, who is organizing this event. Preferably next, behind and in front of my seat, if I choose to attend.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm buying tickets on Friday. Want one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Glad I didn't buy a ticket for the WSA yet. Now I can at least consider this (much more interesting) line-up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks very interesting. I think "Concert for Care" was the same concept that reunited David Gilmour and Roger Waters on stage last month.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    Michael Nyman is on the list now as well.

AAAAAARGH!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Come, you know you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    biggrin I know. I have no excuse, but it'll cost too much money (the whole thing: train + hotel + food + drink). Of I'd could have a free place it'd be much more teasing. But I don't want to make all these costs.

Damned!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    ARRRGGHHH! Not going just got harder! Must... not... spend... money... crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010
    COME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's what she said.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And now the child support is killing his chances of ever attending any concert anywhere.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    How long will you be in London then Ant?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    If people come to visit then I'll be out during the day like the Morricone concert; if not then just the evening.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    The screening of Psycho was good fun. Had never seen the film before and even though it felt dated it was a really good movie! The Empire is quite possibly my favourte cinema! Huge and with a 50's design in the main screen it was quite strange watching a black and white film that went along with the decor a bit too well.

A disappointing number of composers showed up, but David Arnold, Anne Dudley and Christopher Gunning were all available and signing stuff afterwards. Robert Townson was also there and I also recognised a bunch of Spanish peeps from Ubeda.

Fenton was apparently working, Powell had only flown in last night so was sleeping, and HGW was visiting his mum. smile

Looking forward to the concert tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I look forward to hearing your report Ant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Funny enough, my mother is in London at the moment. Not visiting the concert, though. If I chose to come, I could've traveled with them.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010 edited
    These film music dealies have a knack for getting Bob Townson's name wrong. At Ubeda - TWICE - he was Robert Towson, and tonight he's Rob Townsen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Hey that's funny, 'cause Townson has a knack for getting soundtrack releases wrong biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hope everyone has a great time there. Really wish I could have gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    So... how was the concert? Everyone's still après-concerting?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited
    To be honest, I was a little disappointed. The RAH was less than half full, and certainly lacked the atmosphere the sell-out LOTR concert was a few weeks back. The orchestra also seemed pretty small, and Anne Dudley was synthesizing a choir and accordion in pieces.

Music selections were ok but there were a few tedious pieces. How To Train Your Dragon (which Powell conducted), Astro Boy and You Know My Name were easily the highlights.

As for the rest of it, well...some (normally decent) comedians just re-hashing cheap jokes for the two minutes they had on stage (literally). And then there was Paloma Faith...weird.

They saved the best music for the end, but due to time they didn't perform Chicken Run, which was the thing I was anticipating the most. I can't imagine the composers were too happy as they had practiced the kazoo parts.

There were no opportunities to get stuff signed, just a £5 text competition where you could win a place at the "VIP" party. I bumped into John Powell as he was waiting for a lift but didn't ask if he'd sign my twenty-seven covers as he looked knackered from conducting (and jet lag I'm sure).

Other fun parts included David Arnold's wacky conducting (I was behind rather than infront of the orchestra so could see it well) where at one point he gave up on the baton mid-performance. Also one of the percussionists was hitting a massive wooden block with a sledgehammer during ID4. What was that about!? David and one of the guys from Kaiser Chiefs also came onto stage with sailor hats, ukuleles and kazoos and performed a little number.

All in all...it was alright. It was for charity I suppose...but I couldn't shake the feeling all night it *could* have been better. I just don't think a combination of film music, songs and some really-short comedian sketches go together that well. Pics later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    Sounds disappointing to me. Sad to hear it was half full ( as it was for the Jerry Goldsmith concert I attended there in 2000 ) but I guess a Monday night isn't the best day of the week to stage an event.

Where was the VIP party being held? ( if of course you know that info? )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    How was the orchestra's performance?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.