• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordigikleuter
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007 edited
    Last night I visited Games in Concert 2 with our beloved webmaster Bregt. I also visited the first edition in the centre of Utrecht, but because of the refurbishment of that concert hall they build a temporary new one outside main Utrecht. Temporary and just finished two day's earlier you would have never guessed that they will tear it down again in 5 years. It had class, definitely the hardware and certainly the comfort of a major concert hall.

The concert then!
    The Metropole Orchestra played, like last year, in full force and again worked with a guest conductor. This year they went with Laura Karpman who was suggested by the orchestra them selfs. She came to holland for 4 days, just for the concert and rehearsals. There was a lot of interest in the concert since it was sold out and apparently the hall was already full for 80% or so 45min before they started. At that point Bregt and I where enjoying the many wonderful roadsigns, directions and redirections in a marvelous rainy dutch weather.

The concert started with Legend of Zelda wich prompted the public to go wild. Yes wild. Not a civil clap of appreciation, no... there where cheers, clapping, yelling... It was nice for a change. Above the orchestra there was 1 big screen and 4 smaller screens where they showed images of the game that was played. Before intermission they played things like Haven, Gran Turismo 4 and Assassin's Creed. After intermission there was the famous music of Tetris, memory lane with Leisure Suit Larry and a Batman Rip-off in the form of Jericho by American Cris Velasco who was present. Also present where a lot of dutch composers who recently made music for games like Haven and Stateshift.

For those who never listen to game scores or even don't play games at all: go anyway!!
    There was a free reception during intermission (are we listening Ghent?), there are composers present and lined up afterwards for signing (are we still listening Ghent?) and Laura Karpman was kind enough to sign my copy of Taken and made some time for a little talk. The music was just a bit to loud and next year they definitely need a presenter that doesn't offend a entire crowd by stating that the commodore 64 is a thing from the past...

Regards,
    Mario

ps: did I mention that Cris Velasco handed out 500 free copy's of his Jericho score?! punk
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Charming!
    I did look at the program, but as none of the scores were known to me, I thought it really wouldn't have been worth the effort.
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!

Thanks for the report!
    It's good to see so many reviews of experiences, be they films, conventions or concerts. It really makes for a broader perspective than "just" talking CDs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i absolutely adore this kind of overviews and i really appreciated all the time and effort put to those. When accompanied by photos as well (hint-ity hint hint), they're top-reads! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It was defenitely loads of fun.

The whole crowd went crazy when the Tetris theme jumped in (very well known, you'd instantly recognize it as well though you probably have no idea what I'm talking about now). A big sound, choir, the pompous kinda Russian sound to it, fantastic!

Just listen this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=keeSEJG4XzU& … re=related but then imagine orchestra, choir and percussion.

Also superb was the performance of the Super Mario Brothers Theme. Nostalgic all the way, and played by a string quartet! Karpmans game music was the biggest of it all, but aso less catchy, and a bit more difficult to appreciate, but a very warm and enthousiast lady.

Last year, they invited Christopher Lennertz to conduct the themes (including Halo! and Medal of Honor and Lennertz' own Gun). I wasn't there but well. There will be a 3rd edition next year.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh man...you know my first introduction to Tetris was on the Amiga, and the music was composed by David Whittaker, and absolute legend in Commodore music land... but it's completely different from the "classic" Tetris game music like you hear in the clip.
    Every time I see someone mentioning taht music, I still hope it's the Whittaker theme... but it never is. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Commowhat?! Are you really that ancient? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthordigikleuter
    You can find a lot on youtube from last year. Not to much yet from this edition.

This is from the rehearsals
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-BAfFGyvc

Search for 'games in concert' and there is lots to hear in bad/better and medium quality smile

It was a shame they dit Mario Bros in the same arrangement as last year.
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Commowhat?! Are you really that ancient? biggrin

That's it.
    You're banned!
    angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    From last year, Halo!
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeRY_w-1 … re=related

You can say what you want about the scores itself, the two themes are kicking ass. biggrin

And the Battlefield Theme!
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmqs6PB5u … re=related
    Kazoo
  1. damn it, now I wished it went too wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthordigikleuter
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Mmm... fun to see all, but I don't get the 'wish I went' feeling. It's fun, but not my thing. I didn't recognise Tetris at all, for example, and I probably would get irritated by that audience wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Man that was FUN!
  2. my brother and I are into game scores, so for us that is fun wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Mario Brothers with string quartet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvVzI1z1hhI
    Kazoo
  3. The Dutch Metropole Orkest is doing another Games Concert on 14th May, if you happen to be in The Netherlands. Read more here (though it is Dutch). It's saying that they'll play Killzone and Bioshock; and that readers of gamer.nl will be able to have a say in what will be played.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube