• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    I've been storing my cds in cardboard boxes like this. We had severe rains and my bedroom (basement unit) got flooded and a couple of the boxes of cds got wet. I thought I moved the boxes in time but apparently not. Water seeped through and now the cd inserts are wet and water has condensed on the case.

How should I go about minimizing the damage? I guess the obvious thing is to use a hair dryer (will borrow one tomorrow) and get the water away. Will that result in the inserts sticking to the cd or case? I tried opening some cds and the inserts were stuck to the disc and tore like this. Bad idea.

Some cds have water seeped into the disc and inside the printed layer leading to bubbles like this.

Any suggestions to salvage/restore would be appreciated.

Some pics-
    http://bhelpuri.imgur.com/damage
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh Ravi!
    What a nightmare!
    How many CDs incurred damage?

If it's *just* water damage, the CDs proper shouldn't be damaged (the plastic is waterproof), but you never know pollution the water may have carried. slant

It's likely the inserts are lost. The hairdryer solution you are already going to try is really the only option...but if the booklet pages stick together there's really nothing you can do, as I found out myself a couple of times.

As to the discs, again: likely no real damage was incurred if it's really just water damage.
    Clean them thoroughly with a mild soapy solution and -if possible- distilled water (although clean tap water always did the trick for me...obviously I have no idea of the quality of the tap water in your area!)
    Remove any paper lables that may have got warped in the flooding as the additional vibration could cause issues with your CD drive as it spools up.

There's a couple of commercial cleaning products out there that might help you save the discs if needed (again: consider the inserts lost: it's paper. Paper and water just do not mix. slant ). But the prices may be exorbitant (especially the Disc Doctor proper shocked ) However, maybe a DVD/game rental store in your area may own one and will take on your discs for cleaning for a small fee?

Hope it all works out for you. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010 edited
    I'm sorry to hear that, Bhelpuri. What a pain.

I agree with Martijn, that the water shouldn't damage the CDs. The problem is indeed that as soon as the albums dry, the inserts stick to the CDs. I think it might be better to remove the inserts while they're wet. If some of them have dried, it might even be a good idea to soak them in water, so the inserts won't stick when you carefully pull them off. I can't guarentee it will work, but it might be worth considering.

I don't think a hair dryer is needed, and certainly shouldn't be used on the CDs themselves. I'd personally try to remove the inserts while the CDs are wet, and then leave them to dry somewhere. In any case, the inserts, when they've been wet, will probably always be wrinkled. But the CDs should be fine.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry to hear that BP, that's horrible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Since you're so into computer stuff get them transferred to a hard drive asap. I'd buy a package of sleeves and get them out of that debacle immediately. They should play fine, hopefully. In the future those walmart tubs which seal would be a good place to store them. Right now they're only $4.50. PM me if you want my help and I'll come over and see what I can do to assist you.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010 edited
    Thanks for the suggestions.

plindboe wrote
    I agree with Martijn, that the water shouldn't damage the CDs. The problem is indeed that as soon as the albums dry, the inserts stick to the CDs. I think it might be better to remove the inserts while they're wet. If some of them have dried, it might even be a good idea to soak them in water, so the inserts won't stick when you carefully pull them off. I can't guarentee it will work, but it might be worth considering.

I don't think a hair dryer is needed, and certainly shouldn't be used on the CDs themselves. I'd personally try to remove the inserts while the CDs are wet, and then leave them to dry somewhere. In any case, the inserts, when they've been wet, will probably always be wrinkled. But the CDs should be fine.
    Peter smile

I'm abandoning the idea of the hair dryer. After reading a bit on this it seems that resoaking them and separating the inserts is the best way to go. There are a number of articles by a conservation scientist from Canada who suggests using cool (refrigerated) water to resoak the cds.
    http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/ … 00039.html
    http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/ … 00212.html

However some cds with sticky adhesive labels might be problematic with this approach. I'll give it a shot with some of the cds later this evening.

More useful info (Joe Iraci seems to have a lot of research done in this area)
    http://www.uni-muenster.de/Forum-Bestan … /iraci.pdf

Tom,
    I just bought a bunch of those sterilite boxes ($6.50 for a larger size) that I plan to place all the cds in henceforth. Today evening I'll put some cold water in a box and resoak the cds and get them separated. I'm in school now and will be home only after 6pm so I'm not sure if that's a good time. I'll PM you about my contact info just in case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    what a debacle, yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    However some cds with sticky adhesive labels might be problematic with this approach. I'll give it a shot with some of the cds later this evening.

Good luck! Have you planned out how long to soak them?

Hope you won't hold me responsible if the soak-method fails. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited
    Fuck, what an awful disaster. The discs themselves, i mean their reading side shouldn't be affected by water at all. I am very curious about the method you describe above about re-soaking the booklets and trying to se the papers apart, then hair-dry them. Let us know if it works.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    i too am curious
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010
    BP, sorry to hear about the flooding and poor CDs. sad

Good luck with the resoaking method - it sounds like the best way to go. I think the difficult part is keeping the inserts flat when they dry, since they can get all crinkly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OH NO! We always say how the music's the most important thing and as long as the CD's play, it's alright. But since we're buying actual physical products, we obviously want them to be in as good shape as possible all-around.

I've only had one of my CD's water-damaged once, and upon removing the insert managed to rip it in two by the corner.

Glad to see that you're paying more attention and doing your best to make them "whole", at the very least, even if they will forever be wrinkly.

So very sorry to hear about your misfortunate, Bhelpuri, and all the best in recovering as much as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    hope it all works out well. basements are a source of annoyance in some ways in minnesota. california doesn't have them because of the quakes
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    YIKES !! shocked
    I'm sorry to hear that Bhelpuri ...
    I really hope you can salvage as much as possible .

It happened to me once but with my VHS tapes ...
    VHS tapes & water don't mix at all !
    I had to bin a lot of them unfortunately ... sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    Well, I tried. Resoaking in cold water helps separate the inserts that have pages stuck to each other. If the insert is stuck to the disc or to the jewel case then it's almost inevitable that some portion of it will tear. The whole process of resoaking and separation took about 3 hours for 10 cds. The only problem is with the inserts tearing up. The discs are fine. I ditched the hair dryer since that's too harsh. I applied paper towels in between sheets and kept a heavy weight on them for a couple of days. They dried out but the crinkles cannot be avoided.

For future reference-

1) Get working immediately on wet albums. Do not allow them to dry on their own.
    2) It's important to separate the inserts from the jewel case and disc as soon as possible. Leave them drying together and you'll almost surely tear the inserts. Due to their sticky surface it's very likely that part of the insert will remain stuck to the disc.
    3) Discs wet with cold water can be wiped clean and work fine
    4) If the inserts are stuck then resoak them in cold water, separate the pages and then dry them. I don't think its possible to ever avoid crinkles once the inserts are wet.
    5) Depending on the quality of the paper and the degree of severity you might have to soak from about 20 min to 2 hrs. However, the longer you soak the paper, the softer it gets, and higher the chances of inadvertently tearing it simply by holding.

Anyways I give up. I cannot put in all that time for the remaining cds and see some of them tearing.

I guess I'm done with having physical cds. I don't get the time to listen to them as I used to before. And they're a pain to move around. I'm going to get rid of almost all of my cds barring a handful of Ennio and Delerue. Ebay takes too much effort so I'll probably come up with a private list. I'll let you folks know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    slant

Sad to hear that, and your decision. I can understand though, but perhaps it's just decision made in the moment?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    3 hours for 10 CDs...what a nightmare: that's night to YEARS work for a collection of any respectable size. sad
    I fully understand you giving up.

Have you tried appealing to the community here and FSM for scans of booklets that have gone destroyed?
    It's not the same, I know...but it's something.
    Also, maybe some of the companies would be kind enough to help out?
    It's worth a try...

For the rest I tend to agree with Bregt.

Store everything away for now (to keep looking at it will just increase your frustration and annoyance) and sleep on it for a couple of weeks.

You can always get rid of them.
    Doesn't need to be now.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Oh, the damage was only to about 60 cds. But its enough of an indicator that I have way beyond what I can manage. I'm also going to be moving once again in a few weeks so I'd like to get rid of as many I can now.

I did decide to reduce my collection a long time back but the ebay auctions were too much of a drain on time and energy.

I'll contact some of the labels like Varese (Conan the Barbarian, Standard Operating Procedure) but the others I don't stand a chance-
    John Scott- King Kong 2
    Wataru Hokoyoma- Afrika
    Marcel Barsotti- Grune Wuste
    Marco Frisina- Il Bambino di Betlemme
    Patrick Williams- Solomone
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The key with the drying is to use what is called a blotter book ie one that photographers used for fiber based paper.

I understand the frustration
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I just got off the phone with the landlord. I tried to explain to her what the value of the cds were and how some of them are now devalued. My argument was that they asked us to move to the basement apartment so that they could renovate our previous unit (3rd floor). Since we were obliging their request I thought that they could compensate some of the damages.

She refuses to believe that the value of certain cds increase with time, or that some of my cds were worth what I claimed. She's asked me to bring proof (print outs from websites are fine).

I know I paid $76 for John Scott's King Kong 2 (RCA/Victor Japan label). Is there some site that mentions what it is worth today? What about Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian? Or Patrick Williams' Salomone? Frisina's Bambino di Betlemme?

Tom,
    I will need your help. I'll pm you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    please do
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    we had a nice talk and came up with a plan of attack and are getting together soon.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BP: this site is a great indicator.: http://www.soundtrackguide.net/index.ph … searchform
    I've used this with my rarer CDs to give an indication to the insurance company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote
    I know I paid $76 for John Scott's King Kong 2 (RCA/Victor Japan label). Is there some site that mentions what it is worth today? What about Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian? Or Patrick Williams' Salomone? Frisina's Bambino di Betlemme?

According to my U.S,. Soundtracks on CD (FSM Price Guide) King Kong 2 released in 1987 on Victor VDP-1175 is worth $400!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, soundtrackguide also values it quite highly at 300 US $.
    I find that soundtrackguide -if anything- may be a little on the conservative side!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks Martijn and Erik. I had forgotten about that book. I managed to locate my copy and it will suffice for King Kong 2. I couldn't find anything for Bambino di Betlemme or Salomone so I'll print out Amazon 3rd party seller prices.

Thanks to Tom for his suggestions. It was good talking to you. We'll catch up sometime.

I spoke with Varese Sarabande about getting replacement inserts for their cds and they were cooperative and asked me to email the titles and catalog number. I hope something comes out of it.

I will be moving to another apartment at the end of the month so I'd like to sell off as many cds as I can before then to reduce my load.