• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010
    I'm going on my 15th trip abroad (or thereabouts) with my "travel buddy" tomorrow, and we've jokingly said that we've almost become like an old couple, arguing about things such as air condition temperatures and going over the same topics time and again.

So it occured to me....is it possible to run out of new topics to talk about? Or is there really a finite number and everything else is variations thereof? What about a board like this? Do we keep going in circles more often than not? Are there only so many ways you can talk about film music and soundtracks?

What say ye?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's always a new angle somewhere though it's getting increasingly difficult, that's probably why so many topics go off topic wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010 edited
    I say ye make an excellent point; though it's probably occurred to almost everyone, even if it's only at the back of their minds.

How often do we see lists of our favourite Star Wars scores in descending/ascending order? Arguments about Zimmer and his influence on film music? Our favourite use of the Four Note Danger Motif™? (For most, that probably equates to worst use of the Four Note Danger Motif™.)

...religion!

Luckily there are thousands of scores, albums and countless other subjects to choose from (and seemingly endless weird, wacky and nonsensical opinions to go with them), so discussion on a board like this is effectively endless - even though we go round in circles from time to time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have never, ever ever run out of steam.
    I cannot imagine doing so.
    Ever.
    There's an infinite number of angles (if only through changed ideas, increased maturity, or sheer brilliant flashes of insights) on an infinite number of topics.

Sure, there are numerous dead horses being whipped, hammered, kicked and bodyslammed with a regularity that would suggest a fascination with rotting equine flesh that would border on the psychotic, but that's normal.

OK.
    I just suggested psychoses are normal.

Anyway.

The point is that we all have our hobbyhorses (what is it today with me and horses? I can't even abide the creatures. Pretty good for pulling carts and smoke-dried meat, but that's it as far as I'm concerned) and our pet peeves and will elaborate the same point many times over in many different conversations.

But that's not the same as running out of subjects!
    The very idea suggests an intellectual laziness that truly disturbs me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting new topic, incidentally, Thor!

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Interesting new topic, incidentally, Thor!

wink

wink

Thanks. You know what they say....once you run out of things to say, go meta!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Tomato is a type of fruit.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Meta, Bregt. Not mato.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote

Yep, and the Star Wars prequels suck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and this is immediately off topic, quite normal
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you've missed the subtext, yes I suppose it is. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But a good topic choice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    Bregt wrote

FACT!

Also FACT is that the Star Wars prequels get ALL the tomatoes...rotten ones.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn eats dead smoked horses? GodDamn!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sometimes, while conversing with someone you've known for a long time, you get into a topic that you soon realize has been talked about many times before. Yet you go on, both because you have little else to talk about and it's better than uncomfortable silences, but also because - I guess - you get to confirm something to yourself and to the other guy. You can see the other guy knows it's a "hot potatoe" topic too, but he goes along with it, probably for the same reasons.

Ever experienced this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, I have no experience with fsm whatsoever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited
    Why can't it be silent between people? I'm not uncomfortable with silences. But I'm not much of a talker anyway. More of a listener.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Ever experienced this?

Not really, to be honest.
    If we do touch upon a subject we've already beaten to death, I will usually just refer to it as a jumping board for another point or new insight.

If we do start retreading I usually cut things short (interestingly, now that you mention it, that task does often fall to me. confused I always thought I was just too impatient in these things, but now I gather I may well be acting as a conversation guiding system?)

Assuredly I do run into uncomfortable silences, but this is often with people I do not know (or don't really like). Usually it's not a problem, but there has been one or two times where I really ran out of subjects I wanted to discuss with that person, and there really wasn't any insight (funny or astute) I cared to share.
    So that's the "Excuse me, but I need to [mumble mumble] the [mumble]" moment to make my getaway to the drinks stand. wink

Oh, and legally tomato is a veg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    . You can see the other guy knows it's a "hot potatoe" topic too, but he goes along with it, probably for the same reasons.

So why not make it a hot tomato topic?
    Tometa topic
    Meta topic.
    dizzy

Next time it would be really interesting to pose that very question you put to us in that very conversation and see what happens.
    As you are the meta-king, I foresee a whole new interesting conversation! smile

Christodoulides wrote
    Well, I have no experience with fsm whatsoever.

Bad Demetris. BAD! applause biggrin

Bregt wrote
    Why can't it be silent between people?

It can, and a silence is often underrated.
    The problem with silences is not - I think- with silences between friends or really good acquaintances.
    It's when a conversation needs to continue flowing (on work do's or events where you really don't know many people and would prefer not to be standing at the fringes).
    That said, a five to ten second gap in any conversation may feel like an eternity, but is in effect really good for "regrouping" and digesting.

I find that I am relatively silence-tolerant...I just don't act it.
    I don't know why but once I start, I reach speeds of 16000 words a minute. dizzy
    It's not really a good thing. sad I'm actually thinking of doing some training (or whatever) to bring that back to an acceptable speed as I do notice (after the fact...slant ) people may get uncomfortable with it, or find me overbearing. Which -all appearances to the contrary- is REALLY not what I'm aiming for).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't think it would hurt for this small group to take a look at all of the things that have been doing and look and determine if changes should be made. Call it a group conscious. I do know of people who have been rather turned off and have chosen not to revisit this board. Something to think about.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Thor wrote
    Sometimes, while conversing with someone you've known for a long time, you get into a topic that you soon realize has been talked about many times before. Yet you go on, both because you have little else to talk about and it's better than uncomfortable silences, but also because - I guess - you get to confirm something to yourself and to the other guy. You can see the other guy knows it's a "hot potatoe" topic too, but he goes along with it, probably for the same reasons.

Ever experienced this?

All the time. Maybe it's because we don't get many new friends when you reach my age (30). You just stick with the friends you've had for years and the same discussions appears over and over again because nothing new happens.

Yeah, I know, I should get out more... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Well I just found a new topic so no
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    No, Thor, what a ridiculous notion! Of course it's not possible to run out of topics! Yes, there are a lot of recurring topics (and over on FSM, I tend to link to previous threads about it), but there is really an infinite number of possible angles.
    I am extremely serious.