• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010
    My situation is changing as far as listening is concerned and I'm spending a fair amount of time on listening to downloads. They seem to be a lot more convenient to listen to on the computer, thus the ear bud ????. I bought a pair of TDK with my new computer and frankly felt ripped off. I paid $20 for them and am not happy with them at all. However, where is the problem??? Computer, ear buds, or 320 downloads? I put on a CD and listen to it with my Grado headphones and its like the difference between a transistor radio and a stereo system. As some of you might know I'm reviewing every available recording of Rimsky-Korsakov and frankly I'm having a hard time evaluating the different recordings.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The ear buds are the problem. Decent sounding earbuds are going to be $100ish.
    Mine cost $200.
    I am of the opinion that there's an audible difference between 320 downloads and CDs, but you're not going to hear it until you have $100+ headphones and a decent amp and/or good sound card and speakers. Given your description I'd say the earbud headphones are definitely the weak link.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I used to own a pair of Sony Fontopia's. I felt they gave me great sound, excellent base response for a relativity cheap price and they were very comfortable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I've tried ear buds and I hate them. Uncomfortable to wear and terrible sound quality for listening to film music (they seemed slightly better with songs). They cost me about £50 - Shure was the brand? - and I felt I had wasted my money.

It's headphones for me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I still have my Sennheiser CX300 from a couple of years ago and it works great and is very affordable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300- … B000IDUP3G
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BhelPuri wrote
    I still have my Sennheiser CX300 from a couple of years ago and it works great and is very affordable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300- … B000IDUP3G

Yeah those are excellent for the price.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Personally I don't prefer listening to music on headphones or ear buds at home now, only on good quality speakers. I only use ear buds when traveling in the car or train, for that I use the ear buds which came with my Nokia Xpressmusic. There isn't much difference in quality to be heard on there anyway, especially with all the background noise, so I keep the music at 192 kbps AAC. At home though I either have the original CD or the music in lossless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've tried ear buds and I hate them. Uncomfortable to wear and terrible sound quality for listening to film music (they seemed slightly better with songs). They cost me about £50 - Shure was the brand? - and I felt I had wasted my money.

It's headphones for me.

I just feel strange using the headphones at a place like Starbucks. The new apartment won't allow the use of the monster Klipsch speakers, the ideal situation for me. I'll have to find a pair of speakers that will match properly to the tube macintosh amp.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've tried ear buds and I hate them. Uncomfortable to wear and terrible sound quality for listening to film music (they seemed slightly better with songs). They cost me about £50 - Shure was the brand? - and I felt I had wasted my money.

It's headphones for me.

I just feel strange using the headphones at a place like Starbucks. The new apartment won't allow the use of the monster Klipsch speakers, the ideal situation for me. I'll have to find a pair of speakers that will match properly to the tube macintosh amp.

I'll have to find something from the 60's that will match up to the warmth of the Mac, very important for me to take away that clinical sterile sound of the CD. Yikes, more research to be done.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    I had to stop using earbuds when I was diagnosed with tinnitus on the left ear a few months ago. But I have a couple of high-class Beyer-Dynamic, professional audio engineer headphones that I can use (with moderate volume levels, of course) with my ipod. If you're worried about your hearing, I suggest you do that too. Or listen to music through regular speakers as much as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Why ear buds? Why not some proper headphones, instead of those small things that make your ears itch? It doesn't get better than a great set of wireless headphones.

I use Sennheiser HDR 120: http://skinflint.co.uk/a235859.html

Only problem with this is that it has a habit of switching off the signal if there have been 5 minutes of silence, and then instead of silence you get loud white noise blasted in your ears. It's bloody annoying and always comes as a shock.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Why ear buds?

sdtom wrote
    I just feel strange using the headphones at a place like Starbucks.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks Erik.

*note to self* "read entire thread before replying"

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    I can tell you that as soon as I get back to San Diego it will be back to the speakers thank god. The woman who lives across the hall from me is a royal pain in the ass. She has complained that I close my door too loudly. I did because it slipped out of my hand one time because my hands were full of groceries. She complained to the management nevertheless, who've not been supportive of me very much at all thus one of the reasons I'm returning to San Diego.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, what a nut. I've never heard of anyone complaining about something like that before.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, what a nut. I've never heard of anyone complaining about something like that before.

Peter slant

Agreed. That's just bizarre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I live in a house that has an adjointed common hallway for other residents of the community to pass through and access the common garden area on the other side.

On the door to that hallway is the notice: "Please be considerate of other residents living in this house and do not let the door slam." Even though I have to say that, yes, that door slamming is something that can be heard from anywhere in my house, I certainly wasn't the one who put up that notice! I can't imagine someone having THAT much of a fit over it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll get even big time. Not proud but I'll do it anyway causing her a big headache.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'll get even big time. Not proud but I'll do it anyway causing her a big headache.
    Thomas

Play some Shostakovitch really loud Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Record the sound of your door slamming, and then play it really loud on repeat. That should do it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Record the sound of your door slamming, and then play it really loud on repeat. That should do it.

Peter smile

I like this! devil biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if he's such a pussy getting annoyed by door slams than normal people don't even notice, he probably deserve the punishment. Make sure it's in surround sound :P

So is this topic about budweisers for the ear?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was thinking about putting oil/transmission/fluid drippings under her perfect car.
    Thomas