• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010
    Are you sure?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's the kind of score you simply can't judge until you've listened to the entire thing...it's an unfolding musical drama rather than a collection of unconnected cues.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you sure?

Positive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010
    It's gorgeous; thematic and full of melody and passion, can't understand why anyone wouldn't like it.
  1. The Good German - Thomas Newman

The title track to this score is one of Newman's most accomplished pieces to this day. I have never heard a more bittersweet, cynical "romance" theme in my life. It could be played as background music to my love life... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hey Kevin - LISTEN TO MORE GOLDEN AGE MATERIAL!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Sure...where do I start? Herrmann? Newman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Charles Gerhardt. If you have some time tune into THIS!

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Spartacus - Alex North

My first listen to the deluxe release (finally!) Have only got time for half an hour or so - but it sounds magnificent, since it IS magnificent. Definitely a contender for my own #1 favourite score of them all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

True; this is where Newman draws inspiration from for Good German.
  3. Southall wrote
    The Deep - John Barry

First listen. Oh dear. I don't think there will be many more listens.

I'm surprised you don't like this James, I thought it would be right up your alley. What don't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? Other than the disco version of the theme they had to use for the end credits I absolutely love it!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Wah-Wah - Patrick Doyle

While most have been mightily impressed with Doyle's epic adventure sound as of late, I'm finding that his smaller, more intimate film scores of the past 5-10 years or so to be far more fascinating, more meaningful and more fulfilling. As You Like It, Nanny McPhee, and Nouvelle-France come to mind as well as this this lovely dramatic score for the 2005 film, Wah-Wah. Written mostly for piano and heavy strings this score stays mostly in a minor mode for much of its playing time until the soaring, lyrical, and mindblowing final track. As you listen can really feel that Doyle put his whole heart into this score. A very personal score for a composer that can almost do no wrong.

-Erik-

Such a stirring, heartfelt score; shame so few people know it; for me, it's his best, most emotional score to date and an absolute must-have for everyone.

Ooh, yes. I love Wah Wah. It's my favorite Doyle score. I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the scores you just mentioned, Erik. That is my favorite kind of music from Doyle. I love his more grand style, too, but these smaller more beautiful scores are right up my alley.

NP - Warriors of Virtue - Don Davis.

Not bad at all. It's got some great themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer

Superb, who'd a thought I'd say my favourite score of the year would be a score by Hans Zimmer? Wonders never cease.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My favorite score from this year too, excellent, excellent modern film score writing. He's outdone himself. 2nd place is prince of persia, damn i surprise myself too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010 edited
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Wah-Wah - Patrick Doyle

While most have been mightily impressed with Doyle's epic adventure sound as of late, I'm finding that his smaller, more intimate film scores of the past 5-10 years or so to be far more fascinating, more meaningful and more fulfilling. As You Like It, Nanny McPhee, and Nouvelle-France come to mind as well as this this lovely dramatic score for the 2005 film, Wah-Wah. Written mostly for piano and heavy strings this score stays mostly in a minor mode for much of its playing time until the soaring, lyrical, and mindblowing final track. As you listen can really feel that Doyle put his whole heart into this score. A very personal score for a composer that can almost do no wrong.

-Erik-

Such a stirring, heartfelt score; shame so few people know it; for me, it's his best, most emotional score to date and an absolute must-have for everyone.

Ooh, yes. I love Wah Wah. It's my favorite Doyle score. I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the scores you just mentioned, Erik. That is my favorite kind of music from Doyle. I love his more grand style, too, but these smaller more beautiful scores are right up my alley.

NP - Warriors of Virtue - Don Davis.

Not bad at all. It's got some great themes.

True, wah-wah is gorgeous, Doyle can write so meaningful in this style...my 2nd favorite from him is Nouvelle France, another underrated gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Medal Of Honor - Ramin Djawadi

My first listen to this new game soundtrack ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    apparently you prefer a...broader...definition of the term "soundtrack."
  5. Eric wrote
    NP : Medal Of Honor - Ramin Djawadi

My first listen to this new game soundtrack ...

["Family Dog" quote]That was a mistake...[/"Family Dog" quote]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Scribe wrote

rolleyes
  6. Eric wrote
    Scribe wrote

rolleyes

It could be worse, he could have typed it out (every other time, too) as "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"... wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote
    Scribe wrote

rolleyes

Well, how is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Lost, the Final Season

"Moving On" for cue of the year?
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    My favorite score from this year too, excellent, excellent modern film score writing. He's outdone himself. 2nd place is prince of persia, damn i surprise myself too wink

I agree. I don't know any other composer who can wring so much emotion and excitement from 2 notes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010
    ALBERTO IGLESIAS - the constrant gardener

Bliss.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, how is it?

Not really my cup of tea . There's a few decent tracks on it but it gets kinda boring after a while .
    Something I don't have with Giacchino's MoH work , that simply rocks !
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    justin boggan wrote
    It could be worse, he could have typed it out (every other time, too) as "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"... wink

rolleyes crazy ................ biggrin
  8. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

However, even in the Golden Age, it's hard to find a love theme quite like that. (Some David Raksin tunes come to mind, but even they are pretty sunny, and not so cynical.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer

Superb, who'd a thought I'd say my favourite score of the year would be a score by Hans Zimmer? Wonders never cease.

These are dark times indeed when even Timmer admires a Zimmer score!
    I should have known by the fact that their names only differ by one letter!

I confess, it's a great score. Probably my most played album this year so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Rarities Archive - Howard Shore

There's some amazing material on here - Sammath Naur is spectacular and makes much more musical sense than the final film version of the Ring's destruction.